bimini

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Overkill - melanoma - uncomfortable. Pick one. Here's the bimini on the M26. It fit quite nicely in the aft berth for travel, and was completely in the way of the tiller when folded down. It's all about compromise. IMG_0770.JPG

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Here you can see my Bimini and Dodger. I also have a connector. My boat is a Compac 23. She does go up on a trailer for the winter but I do take the bimini and dodger down when I am not at the boat.

Compac 23 at anchor.jpg

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
you're lucky your boom rides at a decent height from the cabin top, mine is about 18" at the most from the cabin, does not leave much room for a bimini

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I had one on my Mac 26S and loved it. Yes it was low so it fit under the boom and did inhibit movement some. But on a hot day it was so nice to have shade in the cockpit. It was mounted in such a way it could just be folded back when not in use and could very easily be removed and stowed below.
Here's a link to what I posted on another forum. I have one on my Hunter 26 too, but it has standing headroom.

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/index.php?view=1282

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
sailrite has videos on how to make your own bimini and curtains. Curtains are great for a lot of reasons. However, given the size I'm thinking a boom shade at anchor and a generous mitten full of sunscreen and a good hat while under sail would be a more cost effective option.

Aug 17, 2013
I think you hit the nail on the head Bill, a bimini will be too restrictive space wise and cost wise.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
When we get below 2 knots on a hot day the bimini goes up and the motor goes on. After many years of not having one, our friends just put a bimini on their Compac 23, they would never go without now. Look on ebay or look around your area, we have a surplus place near us that has a hundred inexpensive biminis at the start of the season for great prices. Why reinvent the wheel?

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 26 Ghost lake
As it is said: go big or go home! I have a similar dodger-bimini without the sides and wouldn't be without it. Shade on hot days, shelter from rain, extra living space other than below decks, all this with a 20 minute setup time. What's not to like? G.

Aug 17, 2013
I'll have to check boom height when the ice clears up and I can get her in the water

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Some other things to check while you are checking out the boom height
clearance for winch handles. Nothing so irratating as the curtian interfering with a full turn on the winch.
Getting in and out through the seams in the curtians. gota plan this or suffer the consequences. Pretty easy when at the dock but can get dicy while under sail and heeled over.
window location for sail trim (and possably sail hoisting). Don't forget to check the first mates view angle. My short wife could not see anything but the boom end when at the helm on our old bimini.
More of a construction note, the curtians that round the corner from the forward side to the sides (usually triangular) should be included as a seperate item or as part of the sides so that when they roll up they stick out forward. Incorporating them into the forward curtians will cause them to stick out athwartships and get in the way when going forward. Not an issue if you have a dodger with no curtians.
How will the lines get through the curtians.

Aug 17, 2013
all my lines run on the cabin's roof so at least that part is easy, what worries me if the fact that I trailer her and I worry the bimini will be in the way for raising/lowering the mast, can't imagine with a dodger, unless I make a cutout in the center of the dodger

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I trailer my boat with the bimini folded down so it doesn't add any time to set-up. I fold it forward for trailering and aft for when I want it out-of-the-way while on the water. While it is true that there is no standing headroom it folds down in seconds so it's not a problem. We love ours. I even know a few people who use biminis on their 19 foot Potters.

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
I bought a P165 and had it for 2 months until I decided to buy a slip and get an O'Day 26" but I put a Bimini on the 165 and it worked great. Cost was $300 for a Carter but it was worth it. I did install 24" slides in also so I could bring it all the way over the companionway and then all the way back over the entire cockpit. It laid down just fine on the stern rail. It seemed to work good even though I never sailed the boat so the new owner got the enjoyment of it. Getting ready to install another Bimini but much bigger on the O'day. Long story short, I think a Bimini on any size tub is worth it. :)

carola

Jul 19, 2016
Catalina 26 Pompano Beach
I guess it depends on how much sun you get in your sailing area. Here in Florida it is a necessity. Boom tent nor umbrellas can be used when your sails are up and spending hours in a sun exposed cockpit when underway is most uncomfortable. The only drawback about biminis in small boats is that they usually have to be low or short in order to clear the boom. I find that as long as you can sit comfortably under them having to crouch to get in and out is not difficult.
Yes, I can totally agree! I moved to http://sabbiabeachcondos.com/location/sabbia-beach-location-map/ two years ago and this is a must have in Florida! For sure it has to be comfortable too because otherwise why would you want to spend hours on your boat! Crouching in is okay, as you are saying! I guess you also have to try out different possibilities, maybe test them with people you know and then chose whatever you feel most comfortable with and for sure what is working for your situation.
Anyways there is no best solution fitting for everybody you always have to consider the circumstances!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The B323 is a bit roomier, but, still I put a zipper along the front flap of the bimini. I have an awning I zip to this. The awning is as wide as the bimini, and extends over the top of the dodger and extends a foot in front of it. Along the front ege is an awning pole almost as wide as the beam of the boat. The pole is screwed so it does not collapse. With an attachment line on each end of the pole, I can raise the front end of the awning to act as a scoop to funnel the breeze into the cockpit. Rain? Lower the front end and tie to lifelines. I can sail with the awning up. This past weekend I was the only boat in the raft with a dry cockpit, so I was the party boat for 12.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Bud it looks like what I could do on my O-222 or B235- Pivot the whole bimini aft to act as a sun blocker at anchor. Seems no matter where I anchor, the sun is always on the aft end.