bimini

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everyone, do you think a bimini is overkill on a small trailer sailor, I'm debating weather to just make a awning to put over the boom that would only be used at anchor, a bimini which could be used when sailing or a taylor made anchor shade which would also be only used at anchor, would a bimini be more trouble than it's worth since I trailer the boat

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you get a bimini that can fold down and store easily it would be a big plus

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you will have to get a good canvas man or woman to work with you and create it i don't think there is one straight out of the box

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello fred1diver,
I do not remember having a bimini on any of the trialer launched boats we owned in the (recent and distant) past. However, I clearly remember sweating jelly beans while floating on the Chesapeake Bay. That sweating was enhanced by the grumbling sounds made by my wife and our two children. I agree that the bimini would be a constant nuisance to set up and take down each time you rigged the boat. Power boat owners often do that. (At least that is what I heard!)

On our "cruising sized" boats (27 ft to 34 ft) that stayed in the water and stayed rigged for the season I would not be without a bimini and also a dodger to be honest. I do dislike the limitations of both the dodger and the bimini in terms of visibility from the helm and in terms of movement around the cockpit and going forward. Those annoyances do not outweigh the shaded comfort of the bimini or the wind/rain protection of the dodger.

The sunshade idea is a good one. The shade at anchor would be a comfort whether it was in the late afternoon following a day in the sun or during a mid-day anchor for a swim or for lunch.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
RE: making a bimini.......I'll bet that a bit of ingenuity and a power boat bimini would result in an acceptable shade device. Just don't do anything permanently ugly to your boat. Mount the legs of the frame on nice wooden blocks. Aluminum bimini frames are simple to cut.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We had a bimini on our C22 years ago. I bought a pre made from Sears. I loved the bimini to shield us from the midwestern sun 100+ degrees. We also have a 12 by 12 foot piece of mosquito netting made that we threw over the bimini in the evening. We used to sleep in the cockpit. On our current boat we even have a dodger which we love. Would not consider a boat without one.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I had a bimini on my Hunter 23 and loved it. Not knowing your boat I can't say how it would work out for you. Our H260 has one and I can't imagine not having it in the South Carolina summers. The H260 is a trailerable boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
And my Balboa 26 and my Hunter 26 (both trailerable) also had them. Can't imagine not having one now. If the wind is rocking I fold it down.... and with the cover on, it trailers just fine.

I had a Macgregor 22 that I added a bimini... it was a great upgrade.... but I also live in the south.... how many 95 degree days do you get up on the cold waters of Canada?... If not too many, you may find a simple tarp with designated ball-tipped bungees is the way to go.

The Macgregor's cockpit was 7'6" and I was able to find a commercially made bimini on eBay that fit.

Attachments

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
If you're looking for shade at anchor consider Anchor Shade. Not good for sailing but looks pretty good for on the hook with Merlot in hand

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I probably sail the same waters as you (Ottawa). Some type of sun shade at anchor is essential. Having a Bimini that works while sailing (cruising) is a real plus. My Bimini folds back out of the way when not in use which I do on cloudy days, when I leave the boat at the marina or when sitting out in the evening. I would not want a permanently deployed Bimini. Having a Bimini was a priority for me when I first bought the boat. If you race you may want to have a removable Bimini.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Most of my fellow C22 owners have Bimini tops, and most of them rank their Bimini top as their "best bang-for-the-buck" investment, right below (or sometimes above) an autopilot.

I just bought my second one. It's still in the box, waiting for our spring break cruise. We trailer with it on, folded forward in its cover.

I also keep a boom tent (much larger than the Bimini) on board, in case we ever wind up lying at anchor or at the dock in the rain for an extended period. Only had to use it once, but it makes the boat a much larger place when you need it to be.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I guess it depends on how much sun you get in your sailing area. Here in Florida it is a necessity. Boom tent nor umbrellas can be used when your sails are up and spending hours in a sun exposed cockpit when underway is most uncomfortable. The only drawback about biminis in small boats is that they usually have to be low or short in order to clear the boom. I find that as long as you can sit comfortably under them having to crouch to get in and out is not difficult.

Jan 19, 2010
I also keep a boom tent (much larger than the Bimini) on board, in case we ever wind up lying at anchor or at the dock in the rain for an extended period.
Boom tents on a 22' are not a bad idea. Here is a pic of a boom tent I had on my Macgregor 22. I found this at an army surplus store. It was designed as a 2-man tent and each man carried half the tent. It snaps together at the top of the boom. This made it really easy to snap over the boom and to run the topping lift through a set of snap flaps. I simply used sail tie bungies at the tents corner grommets and easy peasy. Keepsd dew and rain out of the cockpit and turns the cockpit into a second bedroom. My coolers just happened to be level with the cockpit benches so I could make a nice twin berth in the cockpit.

I had sailed this boat to Ocracoke island in early March so is was still chilly in the mornings.

upload_2016-3-11_11-19-32.jpeg

Jan 19, 2010
Leave it to the government to come up with such bright ideas; cannot think of anything that could go wrong.
:oops:

On the other hand, you can get one hell of a boom tent for $50 and a few bungee cords.

Aug 17, 2013
I originally wanted a bimini so I could add some screen sides, it's doable with a boom tent but a bit more work.
but at the size of the cockpit and the low boom a boom tent will be better

Jan 19, 2010
Fred1diver

Your boat is a nice boat for going just about anyplace, it is easy to launch, retrieve work on etc. The the trade-off is when you are sleeping on it, you will be essentially camping. I've done a lot of camping in my boats and really have had the best moments of my life on the water. A few other things to add to your outfitting list... mosquito netting!!!!! once you have that go get some MOSQUITO NETTING!!!! (did I mention mosquito netting?)

I've seen all sorts of set ups where people try to make an enclosure with the netting and I've even purchased a boat once that had a very nice fitted net for the companionway.... but no matter how hard you try, those little bastards get in the boat. Those fan-powered OFF mosquito things help a little but the one thing that I've found that actually lets me sleep bite free is to simply use the netting as a blanket. I just physically drape it over myself and sleep with a baseball cap on so the bill keeps the netting off of my face.

From your posts, it seems like you are thinking of some renovations and you have not said what shape the inside is in... but if you are contemplating any major fixes to the sleeping situation, consider setting it up so you can hang a couple of ENO hammocks. They are cheaper to buy than new foam for your cushions and they are more comfortable to sleep in too. I've slept in those many times and they are great. And you can run a second string between the two hooks (taught) and drape the mosquito netting over that. And they pack up to the size of a football.

Aug 17, 2013
I'm a hammock camper as well, but the interior is in very good condition, just have one cushion to redo (might redo all of them for a nicer finish)

not sure on how I'd setup some hammocks in her, I have two compression posts which would limit me to only one hammock

Last edited:

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
My complaint about biminis on small boats is the headroom, but sometimes shade is more important than headroom. The mainsheet on that particular boat will also limit the coverage you can achieve fore and aft. We offer custom biminis for about half of what you would pay if someone came down to your boat. Give me a call if you'd like to discuss it further.

877-932-7245 x116, Mon-Fri, 9-4 Pacific