Bimini for a 23.5 with stern rail seats

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Have found a few threads on this topic, but nothing definitive. Does anyone make a Bimini that will work out of the box on a 23.5 with SRS? Are they all customed? And even the customed versions, will they clear the boom? I saw some say only if reefed. We are moving to fall in the SF Bay. Less wind, more heat. The Bimini would be great.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Contact this forum store. the manufacturer has a custom bimini that is either 4 foot or 6 foot and will clear the boom but you are only able to sit down with no standing up. The 6 foot is what I would suggest but you will have to move the mainsheet attachment point on the boom forward. Instructions are supplied. However, you will need to advise stern rail seats and make clear if they were made by Hunter or not. I suggest a light color sunbrella as the darker colors attract heat underneath.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Contact this forum store. the manufacturer has a custom bimini that is either 4 foot or 6 foot and will clear the boom but you are only able to sit down with no standing up. The 6 foot is what I would suggest but you will have to move the mainsheet attachment point on the boom forward. Instructions are supplied. However, you will need to advise stern rail seats and make clear if they were made by Hunter or not. I suggest a light color sunbrella as the darker colors attract heat underneath.
Thanks Dave. I did contact the forum and included the SRS requirement. Was sent a link to a Bimini for 23.5's without SRS. But I was hoping there was something more generic (less expensive) that could work, rather than a custom job. I bought one for my Potter last year for a few hundred, had to shorten the frame in a few spots but worked great.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Close to purchasing the store's Bimini. I asked to see their install instructions in advance of purchase. Spartan and there are no pics at all. Does anyone have one of these biminis installed that could send me a few pics? Love to see the mounting points. But also how it looks in general. Thanks!

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
I have what you're looking for on my boat. I'll be on it this wknd. Will send you pics. I have the 6ft bimini. I can sail with it out with only a small amount if lift provided by the topping line for boom clearance. Cant see the sail shape so I sail by feel and watch for the separation bubble on the main. Unfortunantly the bimini makes the srs somewhat useless. The bow is right in front of your face.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
That would be spectacular, thank you so much. Would love to see the attach points. Did you install it?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When ordering a bimini you can always ask for eisenglass to be sewn in as it will be like a window looking thru the bimini for sail shape. SBO can do that. The manufacturer will accommodate but there is an upcharge

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
When ordering a bimini you can always ask for eisenglass to be sewn in as it will be like a window looking thru the bimini for sail shape. SBO can do that. The manufacturer will accommodate but there is an upcharge
Yes, I was thinking about that. The Bimini on my Potter has no window, and it can be frustrating. But on the other hand, when it gets hot in the Bay Area, there is almost no wind. So when I put the Bimini up, sail shape is not much of an issue. This is what a warm fall day in the Oakland Estuary looks like on my Potter, Bimini up.

http://youtu.be/O_qFkv1373E

Sep 16, 2007
Sorry I haven't posted the pictures. Last weekend didn't work out as planned. I had to beat a line of storms back to the marina on Sunday after being out all weekend. Here is a pic of my boat the weekend after I bought it in spring of '07. I did look a another 23.5 near mine with a bimini and he has different set-up. I can say I put new sails on Friday evening. The main is loose footed and I can no longer sail with the bimini deployed. the boom hangs to low when close hauled. my original main is bolt rope along the boom and dosen't hang as low. If I can help feel free to PM me..

Attachments

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Sorry I haven't posted the pictures. Last weekend didn't work out as planned. I had to beat a line of storms back to the marina on Sunday after being out all weekend. Here is a pic of my boat the weekend after I bought it in spring of '07. I did look a another 23.5 near mine with a bimini and he has different set-up. I can say I put new sails on Friday evening. The main is loose footed and I can no longer sail with the bimini deployed. the boom hangs to low when close hauled. my original main is bolt rope along the boom and dosen't hang as low. If I can help feel free to PM me..
Thanks Timothy! So the attachment point are on the stern rails and the side of the boat. A few more questions if you don't mind.

1. Can the Bimini fold down so that the SRS are usable?
2. Is this the same Bimini the Hunter store is selling?

Thanks again.

Sep 16, 2007
yes on my set up the attachments are stern rail and side of boat. Another 23.5 has both attachments on top of the free board. His is more narrow on the beam and allows water to run into the cockpit when it rains. With mine on the outside of the boat water dosent get in so much. Also his may be smaller front to back. it looks like it has more room in the SRS,s.

No the bimini can't be folded to accommodate the SRS's. That is the downside.

I don't know if it's the same bimini or not. I think there are several manufactures each with their own way of doing things.

One other note, the previous owner shifted the main sheet attachment forward on the boom to accommodate the bimini. He also added another attachment near the aft end of the boom specifically for loose footed mains. The dude knew his stuff...

Sep 16, 2007
I was looking at the pics I posted... The other boat I was talking about is next to mine in the slip. you can see his bimini bows in the background.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Yeah, i would be good with giving up the SRS when the Bimini is up. But not when it is down.

Would sure love to see how the other Bimini is set up. Thanks Timothy!
Kjeld

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Here is the bimini setup on my previously owned 23.5. Pretty sure it was a stock bimini, installed by the dealer when I bought the boat. Sorry I'm not sure of the type, but it was pretty big. The stern rail seats were usable whether the bimini was deployed or not. However when it was deployed, the mainsheet had to be attached to a bail farther forward on the boom, and the boom had to be supported a little by the topping lift to keep from hitting the bimini when tacking. I will try to find a pict of the bimini deployed...

Attachments

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Here is the bimini setup on my previously owned 23.5. Pretty sure it was a stock bimini, installed by the dealer when I bought the boat. Sorry I'm not sure of the type, but it was pretty big. The stern rail seats were usable whether the bimini was deployed or not. However when it was deployed, the mainsheet had to be attached to a bail farther forward on the boom, and the boom had to be supported a little by the topping lift to keep from hitting the bimini when tacking. I will try to find a pict of the bimini deployed...
Thanks. The Bimini in the pic looks like this one. Does look like the Bimini intrudes on the SRS tho.

Attachments

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Thanks. The Bimini in the pic looks like this one. Does look like the Bimini intrudes on the SRS tho.
Well, that is a two piece bimini, mine was only one piece. Here is another picture from the front showing the width... the length was almost to the companionway... Still looking for a picture with it open...

Attachments

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Stern seat mounted bimini

Hi,
The picture in this post is my boat. The stern mounted bimini is one I made. It clears the stern seats while deployed or stowed and positions just aft of the boom giving standing headroom underneath.
The origonal bimini I shortened and moved to the forward leg of the stern rail. It is positioned under the boom.
If you still have an interest send me a PM and we can discuss it. Happy sails!
Dennis Kitchen000_0094-23bimdeploy.jpg

2012.32.jpg

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Here are a couple of images with the bimini open. The back end of the bimini is about head height when sitting in the stern rail seat, but it is forward of where you head is so not in the way.

Attachments