Bilge Mount After False Bilge Alteration

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
There's not much space under the false bilge. Maybe 1"-2". You should be able to tell if its been done by looking at the sides where it was cut. If it was done the there will certainly be some signs. Also, the actual bottom of the boat is not as smooth as the liner. Think lumpy, uneven fiberglass. Unless painted there is a color difference too.

I used a hole saw at first and tried to drain out the stagnant water. It worked fine although it was not a complete solution. There was still the stinky rotten plywood underneath and the only way to properly due this modification is to Do it correctly. You may want to try the holesaw and build up your confidence first. I also seen that some owners remove as much as they can hole saw and trim it up afterwards with a Dremmel tool. Once you drill through the false bilge and the plywood with a whole saw the core should come right out. You can look at the core to determine how it is constructed and how much space there is. Keep in mind that the space may not be consistent from one end to the other.

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
Thank you for the suggestions, One thing i do not understand is that if I cut our the bottom of the bilge and box in the are beneath how is that going to allow water to get in if it is already running underneath the bilge won't it still be there and just run around the boxed in area?

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
yes. it will still sit on the sides. You could drill a hole on the sides to release that build up or don't seal up the liner after cutting it out.

I've seen other people comment about the structural integrity being compromised if you don't fiberglass the liner to the hull of the boat. I believe that's unnecessary. If you're concerned about it you can fiberglass in portion of the liner but leave enough space to allow water to run out. Most people just cut out the liner and the wood underneath.

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
Maybe Im Not Seeing The Forest For The Trees. If I Have Water Under The Liner And I Make The False Bottom Bilge Modification. Help Me Here How Is The Water Under The Liner Going To Get Into This New Deeper Bilge Bc Before It Was Traveling Past The Bilge Underneath To Where I Guess If I Took The Floorboard Sole Off I Could See More Clearly Which Is What I May Have To Do In This Case But I Hope Not

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
How Is The Water Under The Liner Going To Get Into This New Deeper Bilge
I'm not sure I understand your question. The water is trapped between the liner and the hull of the boat. Opening the liner will expose the true hull bilge. In the future any water that makes its way under the liner will now end up here.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I am now considering this for my boat. I thought that since it was an 87 fin keel 34 that I did not have this issue. Please clarify that all 34s have this issue.
I ask how thick is the liner that I may be cutting through?

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I am now considering this for my boat. I thought that since it was an 87 fin keel 34 that I did not have this issue. Please clarify that all 34s have this issue.
I ask how thick is the liner that I may be cutting through?
I don't know for sure about the 87 but my guess would be they were all built the same way. Someone else may chime in on that. As far thickness, when I used my hole saw last fall, on the 3 plugs that I took out in the same area, the false bottom liner was far from even, varying from about 5/16 to a little less than 1/2". Then plywood (1/2" water-logged and rotted) then a void (about 1/2" where I used the hole saw, but I understand it is uneven from front to back).

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Does anyone know if this is also an issue with the Hunter 31? The bilge in my 1983 H31 looks just like everyone's before pictures.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
one less project

well, I went down to the boat to air it out on a dry, warm day and found that it is an issue with the '87, but a previous owner handled it :D

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
So, with everyone modifying their H34 bilges I thought I would join the fun. This is gonna sound dumb but I'm not 100% sure it has not already been done. If it was, it was done very neatly. I'm 95% sure it hasn't but that's a big 5%. So, does anyone know the before and / or after depth so I can take a quick measurement? Your help is appreciated.
If you have a picture we can tell you. Its pretty obvious if the bottom of the hull liner is cut there will be an edge that you can see and feel. There is a distinct gap between the liner cutout and the sides of the sump area in the hull. If its not cut the "bilge" is smoothly radiused from the sides down to the bottom. The liner is white. The hull is unpigmented resin. It looks kind of brown colored.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
modified bilge

Here is a picture of my bilge and the modification is clearly evident.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nice mods but an FYI to all, corrugated hose reduces your pump capacity by 30%.