Bilge floorboard covers and headliner stains

Dec 30, 2020
Catalina 309 Waterford Harbor, Kemah TX
I've had my 2007 Catalina 309 for a year. When I purchased it there were to issues I've yet to figure out or repair. It was in great condition other wise but has some discoloration in various places around the cabin ceiling and walls. They are not in obvious water leaking areas and the boat has no obvious rain leaks. There is the usual seasonal condensation. Also the bilge covers in the floor are delaminating around the edges. They are obviously a synthetic of some kind and I wonder what adhesive product would be best for the repair. I'll post some pictures below.
2020-12-08 13.48.16.jpg
2020-12-08 13.48.16.jpg2020-12-01 14.31.15.jpg2020-12-01 14.31.19.jpg2020-12-01 14.32.08.jpg2020-12-01 14.32.11.jpg

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
The flooring laminate is probably Lonseal. I put it in my boat. The manufacturer recommends a special adhesive. However, he used an adhesive from Home Depot. I had to replace one of the underlying plywood panels. The guy simply used acetone to lift it and glue it back down with a contact cement. It's been ten year and all is good. Can't help with the other things. Good luck; nice boat! Marine • Lonseal

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Hey there Mark - I saw this thread on the forum and showed it to my wife without saying anything. She glanced at it and said "oh good, you finally got around to posting the questions you were wondering about"!

We also have a 2007 309 and have the exact same issues. We've had it for almost 6 years and the flooring problem has only recently started. So don't know if it's just been a timing thing (like the original adhesive has been slowly breaking down). Or if we had a particularly hot summer this year or something. I was going to try some differing adhesives, but haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do, I'll probably give Rick's suggestion of contact cement (above post a try). Let me know if you are successful with anything. And when I get around to it, I'll let you know any success I have.

Regarding the splotchy stains, we have the exact same. And I concur that they do NOT seem to be associated with water staining or leakage. I wonder if they could be some kind of mold or something from the back-side. I figured the only solution was going to be to eventually paint, but haven't gotten that close to the top of my to-do list yet.

Anyway, this post doesn't offer anything in the way of help, but know that you aren't the only one with the problems!

Dave - Port Charlotte, FL

Dec 30, 2020
The flooring laminate is probably Lonseal. I put it in my boat. The manufacturer recommends a special adhesive. However, he used an adhesive from Home Depot. I had to replace one of the underlying plywood panels. The guy simply used acetone to lift it and glue it back down with a contact cement. It's been ten year and all is good. Can't help with the other things. Good luck; nice boat! Marine • Lonseal
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll try a contact cement and either clamps or weights to press it while setting up.

Dec 30, 2020
Hey there Mark - I saw this thread on the forum and showed it to my wife without saying anything. She glanced at it and said "oh good, you finally got around to posting the questions you were wondering about"!

We also have a 2007 309 and have the exact same issues. We've had it for almost 6 years and the flooring problem has only recently started. So don't know if it's just been a timing thing (like the original adhesive has been slowly breaking down). Or if we had a particularly hot summer this year or something. I was going to try some differing adhesives, but haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do, I'll probably give Rick's suggestion of contact cement (above post a try). Let me know if you are successful with anything. And when I get around to it, I'll let you know any success I have.

Regarding the splotchy stains, we have the exact same. And I concur that they do NOT seem to be associated with water staining or leakage. I wonder if they could be some kind of mold or something from the back-side. I figured the only solution was going to be to eventually paint, but haven't gotten that close to the top of my to-do list yet.

Anyway, this post doesn't offer anything in the way of help, but know that you aren't the only one with the problems!

Dave - Port Charlotte, FL
Thanks Dave I'll attempt a contact cement of some kind on one of the lesser damaged boards before tackling the more visible ones. It was suggested to me by the surveyor and a former boat building friend that he blotchy areas may be a problem with the original resin or such when the boat was made. I reached out to Catalina for advice but have not heard back. I looked at the same year 350 model and it had none of these issues. I'll let you know what I try on the floor boards and whether it worked.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The cause of those discolorations has often been attributed to too much mold release agent, I have a couple small spots on my 320 Nothing as noticeable as yours.
My first inclination would also be contact cement. Have you tried contacting the factory (nicely) send them some pics of your floorboards and solicited their assistance ? They used to be pretty good about problems like this.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I also have the exact same discoloration on my 387. Around the two bulkheads mainly. I've replaced all the lights, so now have to match the liner gelcoat to fill screw holes.

I'm with Calif Ted. The factory is really good - you may wish to ask them how to glue down the vinyl again. (I also agree googling Lonseal)

I've some similar probs, but mine's plywood veneer. A much worse fix.

Dec 30, 2020
I contacted Gerry at Catalina:
Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 3:59 PM
To: marklauer@aol.com
Subject: RE: Catalina 309 Hull #65

Mark,
The cabin sole is a product called “loncoin “ it can be reattached with contact cement.
The discoloration can be removed with “ soft Scrub with bleach and a Dobie pad.
Hope this helps.
Gerry Douglas

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
A little late to the game but I have the same splotchy areas on the cabin liner of my 1993 C30. I removed them with Magic Eraser pads a couple of years ago and some areas returned. I may try again this spring and put some wax on them to try and prevent their return.