Bilge construction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I replaced the float lever on my bilge pump recently. In doing this, I completely pumped out and dried the bilge. When I placed my hand on the bottom of the bilge and put downward pressure, I noticed that it has some give in it. I was told that some boats are constructed with a gasket between the keel and the bilge to provide a degree of flex. Does anyone know if this is true of the Cat 30 or am I feeling something which indicates the existence of a problem.

J

James

What year is your boat?

What year is the boat? Has it been in the water or dry stored winters? How long have you owned the boat? What has been the condition of the keel/hull joint when you've hauled her? Have you rapped on the keel bolts with a light hammer? What sound do you hear?

B

Bob

Reply to James

My boat is a 1986 Cat. 30. I purchased it in Dec. of '98 and kept it in the water this past winter with antifreeze in bilge and a space heater. Had no freezing problems. Keel showed no stress fractures when surveyed in Dec. Has not been grounded since. Overall condition of boat is excellent. Have not tapped on bolts but will do so when next at marina.

J

James

Bilge/keel construction

There is no gasket between the deadwood and keel. The bilge is constructed of glass mat and resin, and below it is deadwood, through which the keel is bolted. Question: how widespread is the flexing that you are noticing? Is it a spot or the entire bilge? Has the bilge been painted or coated with resin by a prior owner? Many Cat 30s develop a crack at the forward section of the keel where it joins the hull. This crack is often called a "smile". Water can enter at this point, and cause rot to occur in the deadwood. This usually occurrs on boats older than yours. Also, it sounds like your boat has spent the majority of winters on the hard. That's a plus. Do you have a blister problem? It's possible you've got some delamination in the bilge. Rapping on the keel bolts with a hammer should result in a clean ringing sound. That would indicate the condition of the bolts/dead wood is probably ok. The only other check is to drill through the bilge into the deadwood several inches, and see what you extract from below. The wood should look good, not black or rotted. If its delamination in the bilge, I'd call Frank Butler and talk with him. 818-884-7700.

Status
Not open for further replies.