'Bilge Buster' Ozone generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Hamilton

Hi folks... My '87 Cat 30 has quite a strong boat smell....eveything from diesel to holding tank to...well, it's just pretty strong. Once I air it out, (and get used to it) it's not bad. I've seen ads for an ozone generator called Bilge Buster (West Marine has it as well as other supply houses). From what I've seen so far, there is virtually no risk to your tubing etc. from the ozone and they actually work. What I'd like to see is a personal 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' from someone that actually has one. There are two different units..one it $289 and the other is $379. It's a lot of money, but it they actually work, I think it'd be worth it in the end to be able to open the boat without getting knocked over by 'boat smell'. (imagine being able to spend the night on the boat and go to work the next day without smelling likle a diesel mechanic!!) Anyone have any experience or know of anyone that can give a testimonial?? Thanks in advance... Jim s/v Dolphin

C

Chuck Graser

Bad boat smells

Jim, we have no problem with boat smells in our 87 C-30. I bet you would spend your money more economically if you solved the smell problems at their source. Here the main things that we do to prevent smells. Use fresh water from the head sink to flush. Keep the head thruhull closed all the time. Keep the bilge dry by removing bilge water--vacumm, OR At least wash out the bilge periodically and keep some Simple Clean in the bilge. Chuck Columbine S. F. Bay

S

steve

works in the house

I've have used a small ozone generator in our home in the past and it worked great. Almost kind of freaky the way it took the odor away so well. After a fish dinner one night we turned it one and it took the smell away 100%. I do agree with the last post though that if you don't battle the source of the problem it's like rubbing deodorant on a rat. I have zero smell from the diesel in my boat. ???

J

Joe Luciano

They Work

I bought an ozone unit a year ago and it has worked very well at eliminating boat odors. Go to quantumpureaire.com and check out their units. I bought the cabin aire model for my size boat (C-30). They are spendy, this model is $384 with shipping included, but they work. You need to be somewhat careful not to breathe lots of ozone, but if you close the cabin up, let the thing run for a few days, then air out your boat, odors are history. This year, I ran mine for a few days each month in the winter when the boat is closed up quite a bit. The rest of the year, I don't need to use it. These units were also reviewed by Practical Sailor in their October 15th, 2001 issue. They put them through several tests and the article was very positive. This is what finally convinced me to buy one. Didn't want to spend all that money and not get something that worked. From my experience, I am very pleased with the unit and would buy it again.

E

Eric Ludin

Exhaust riser odor?

I'm surprised by the odor you are complaining about. I have an 83 and it smells fine in the cabin. No diesel, bildge or holding tank odor problems. Have you replaced the exhaust riser? I understand that they need replacement every 5 years or so. If they are not replaced, they corrode and rust out from the inside and can cause stong exhaust odors to get into the cabin (not to mention dangerous carbon monoxide). I removed mine last week and shipped it to Catalina. They will send a stainless steel insulated replacement for $165. You can't tell by eyeballing the riser that it needs replacement since it degenerates from the inside out.

B

Bob Reitz

Bad odors

If you have not already done so change the hoses on the head. Check all plastic and rubber items that are stored near the hoses, rub your hand on the hoses and if you smell an odor on your hand the hose must go.

J

Jim Hamilton

Thanks to all

I plan on replacing the hoses on the head, so that will help some. As time goes by, the 'boat smell' is decreasing due to the fact that I'm keeping the boat cleaner than the previous owner and it's simply taking time for all the cusions etc. to give up the odors. It doesn't bother me much at all, but it's guests on the boat that I worry about!! ;) Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.