Biggest boat to feasibly tow/launch with a 1/2 ton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I've sailed back-to-back on a hunter 26 water ballast/ centerboard and a hunter 23 shoal keel w/ centerboard. There's no question that the 23 felt more stable, especially in 4-5 foot waves. Also, the 23 was definitely faster than the 26. Once ballasted, the water ballast boat is a lot heavier than the an equally ballasted keelboat.
Brian why is the PHRF ratings for the Hunter 26/260 lower than the Hunter 23's? Also the capsize ratio is lower (which is better) for the 26/260 than the 23 and the Motion Comfort is higher (which is better) for the 26/260 compared to the 23. Our Mac has a lower PHRF than either the Hunter 26/260 or the 23, yet if someone was to sail with us they might think it to be slow as we don't quite know what we are doing yet. A water ballast boat is somewhat more tender than a keel ballasted boat in maybe most instances, but then stiffens up. Once you get use to that it isn't a big thing as you are going to probably by sailing with either type boat at 12-15 degrees of heel as it is a sailboat. The water ballast boat has advantages over the keel ballasted boat in other areas. If a person is looking they have to figure out what will work best for them.

No one boat can meet everyone's needs. For us with the nearest water we can sail a larger boat on about 100 miles away and with typical trips of much longer distances (last year over 1000 miles and this year hopefully to Florida 2500 miles one way) our boat meets our needs very well, sails very well and has room for the two of us for extended trips longer than a weekend or week. It isn't a power sailor water ballast boat, but there are thousands of owners of those boats that feel they fit "their needs" very well.

Maybe instead of criticizing other boats we should be saying what our boats do well and then if someone is trying to make a buying decision they will have some data to base their decision on.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I'm just saying, I sailed both of them in a race against the other on the same day, my 23 and a friends 26, and the 23 was faster both with me on it, and on the 26. It seemd to me that the speed difference was because of the displacement difference - the 26 just felt slower accelerating out of tacks. Between that and the "sitting still" stability, I recommend the shoal-keeled boat over the water ballast. But I spend most of my time sailing a 200 lb, 5 meter dinghy with 180 sq. feet of sail, I have a tendancy to like light boats.

The 26 definitly is bigger inside!

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
There is also a difference just between H23's.. the wing keel draws 2'3" and displaces 2450lbs.. the centerboard configuration is lighter (2300lbs) and draws 4'11" with the centerboard down (2'0" with it up). The H23 is considered a light displacement boat, and while it's theoretical hull speed is only around 6kts, it has been known to plane up to and over 10kts. The H26 is considered a medium displacement boat and with it's water tank full is more than twice the displacement of the H23. The H23 also has a much greater sail area to displacement ratio than the H26.

PS: The Mac26S has the same sail area (235 sf) as the H23.

Cheers,
Brad

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
well went sailing for the second time today. this time with a much more seasoned sailor and on a hunter 23.5. man it was awesome!! I like the boat layout much better than the macgregor 25 i was on a few weeks ago and that experienced sailor bit was nice too!! now i just need to get a boat!!

May 8, 2010
jeanlee411 jeanlee411 jeanlee411
Very nice, and useful post, Sailingdog. Having owned 5 sailboats over the past 35 years, I've always "pre-inspected" all of them myself prior to having a professional surveyor look at them. If the boat passes my own muster, I then compare what I've found to what the surveyor finds when he looks the boat over. I've rejected two boats prior to engaging a pro using this system.

In addition to the iinformation contained above, I also recommend Don Casey's excellent little book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat."

Finally, I have never bought a new sailboat and doubt I ever will. But if I did, or if any of you are anticipating buying a new boat, I would also go through the very same procedure used to evaluate a used boat, to include having my own surveyor look it over, before I accepted it. I have been amazed at how few people I know every consider having a new boat surveyed -- and all of them have regretted it after the fact. Sad as it may seem, we have all become our own Quality Control people for everything we buy....

Sep 28, 2005
-Florida Bay Boat Co. -Peep Hen Minnesota
For me in my area, I look at a trailerable boat as needing to be crank up center board, and or water ballast. These generally will launch at any lake, any landing. Possibilities are endless. Brian

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Here is my last bit of advice to you--

No mater how good a boat is or how well it sails, if you dont like it you will not sail it. If you don't get a little smile on your face when you look at it, it's not the boat for you.

Below is my favorite picture of my boat and my screen saver. It reminds me that in just three hours we can be gone, with no cell phone and no worries, to sail, motor, swim, drink, eat, sing and other stuff that shouldn't be mentioned here.

Best of luck on your search.

well went sailing for the second time today. this time with a much more seasoned sailor and on a hunter 23.5. man it was awesome!! I like the boat layout much better than the macgregor 25 i was on a few weeks ago and that experienced sailor bit was nice too!! now i just need to get a boat!!

Jun 10, 2004
Hunter 26 Redding. CA
I have had my 1997 Hunter 26 for 10 years now, and have trailered 600 miles each way to our favorite cruising ground (San Juan and Gulf Islands of Washington and Canada). We tow with a half ton Toyota Tundra 5.8 liter, and have had no difficulties at all. Fully loaded with gear, the water ballasted boat and trailer weigh about 5,000 lbs. We have the surge brakes, bearings and tires checked out each year.

We have cruised out boat for up to a month at a time, and it has sailed well, and held its own in some high winds in excess of 30 kts. under reefed main and jib. The boat has lots of room and has the feel of a much larger boat. If you are interested reading about cruising this boat, check out our blog at www.sailingthesanjuanswithdonanddonna.blogspot.com

I love this boat, as it gives me the freedom to go to many great cruising grounds, including San Francisco Bay, Lake Tahoe, etc. With solar power, and LED lights, we can anchor out for 3 days at a time with no need to hook up to shore power.

Status
Not open for further replies.