Biggest boat to feasibly tow/launch with a 1/2 ton

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Just a quick plug for the smaller boats - ours is 19ft (ok... 18.5 ft), and our total first-year cost (boat, fix-ups, club membership, misc) was less than $5000. We're going into year 4 with this boat.

For the two of us, the size is fine. Towing weight is under 2000lb, and it tows like a dream behind our Xterra (6 cyl). We've taken a few 2 or 3-night trips, and were quite comfortable.

Most people will tell you that the bigger the boat, the less you sail. (with exceptions of course). We do plan on buying a larger keelboat some day, but I also intend to keep the small boat. It's just too easy and inexpensive to tow it to new lakes and go exploring.

Good luck!

Sep 28, 2005
-Florida Bay Boat Co. -Peep Hen Minnesota
If we look at the word "Feasibly" and maybe add "Simply" especially if you always trailer and set-up the boat, and would like to do some 3 hour excursions in the evening, the answer would most likely come up at 19 feet or less. It did for me, Brian

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
If we look at the word "Feasibly" and maybe add "Simply" especially if you always trailer and set-up the boat, and would like to do some 3 hour excursions in the evening, the answer would most likely come up at 19 feet or less. It did for me, Brian
We are thinking in a year or so to maybe get a second boat :). We would never want to part with the Mac as we love our long trips and wouldn't want to be in anything smaller. We don't but others do get from the trailer to sailing in under 30 minutes with theirs still a small boat does have some very good points.

One is that our local lake just a couple miles out of town is barely a mile long and a 1/4 mile wide at it widest. With a small open sailboat we could have a lot of fun on it and nearby there are a couple more this size. You can also pick up a small boat for less than a set of sails for the Mac.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Feb 19, 2010
Macgregor 1995 26s Windycrest Sailing Club, Lake Keystone, OK
For what it's worth, my wife and I looked at several different models, generally in the 22' - 23' range. All trailerable. Then we looked at a 1995 Mac 26s. We were sold. That was a year ago. I'm able to tow it with a Silverado ext cab, V-6 without any problems, even though the trailer is a stock trailer without brakes (will retrofit as soon as budget allows). We were able to purchase the boat and trailer for less than $5k. I will probably spend $1000 adding in things like stereo, speed/depth gauges and general modifications.

The main lake we use is only 20 miles to launch site, but there are at least 5 other lakes in the area we might want to explore, all within an hour and half drive. Set up on this boat takes us about 45 minutes working at a steady pace. And the more we do it, the faster and easier it is.

The disadvantage to this boat this size is that it barely fits our driveway. While we did check out several boat and RV storage sites, we never got around to renting a space. Then we found a sailing club right across the lake from our usual launch site (actually closer to us). We checked out the facilities, weighed the cost and decided we would join. While the initial cost (annual dues, initiation fees, dry sail lot, etc) seemed a bit pricey, it was still less than $1000 for the first year. And if we help on the work parties (maintaining the facilities) the annual dues are cut in half. That puts the annual cost way less than renting a boat/RV space. And since the boat will be kept on the trailer, we can still go explore the other lakes in the area.

Just my 2 cents on some of the additional costs you may be looking at.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
I can only add point about an Oday 26 and the little nissan frontier...i tow from my hometown to my marina, about 45 miles one way, only a few small hills, and it pulls great. But it is about as easy a tow as you will get. still, if that is all your doing then you can have a bigger boat and a smaller truck. Have fun!
keith

Attachments

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
The main lake we use is only 20 miles to launch site, but there are at least 5 other lakes in the area we might want to explore, all within an hour and half drive.

... we found a sailing club right across the lake from our usual launch site (actually closer to us). We checked out the facilities, weighed the cost and decided we would join.And since the boat will be kept on the trailer, we can still go explore the other lakes in the area.
That's the key right there - the ability to easily trailer to other lakes.

We also joined a local club as 'dry' members (no slip, we launch from trailer), and it's a great way to meet other sailors and expand your opportunities, not least of which is reciprocal privileges at other clubs.

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
welll looks like I will be going on my first sailing adventure tomorrow on a buddys mac 25. I will be towing it for him too so I will get a feel for what it is like to tow a sail boat.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
We are thinking in a year or so to maybe get a second boat :). We would never want to part with the Mac as we love our long trips and wouldn't want to be in anything smaller. We don't but others do get from the trailer to sailing in under 30 minutes with theirs still a small boat does have some very good points.

One is that our local lake just a couple miles out of town is barely a mile long and a 1/4 mile wide at it widest. With a small open sailboat we could have a lot of fun on it and nearby there are a couple more this size. You can also pick up a small boat for less than a set of sails for the Mac.

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

How's this for small! I have an 8' Catalina US Sabot. Fits in the back of my Ranger pickup. It's really a lot of fun to sail.

Attachments

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
My first boat was a Naples Sabot. I think I was eight. Now I'm over the maximum allowed weight :)
What is the maximum allowed weight? I'm over 200lbs., holds me fine! I see other grown men sail them. Heck, last summer I saw an adult couple sailing comfortably back and forth in Oceanside Harbor!

Maybe there's a max weight when it comes to kids racing. I found documentation online, but I couldn't find any max weight rating.

I work next to Mission Bay, San Diego. Sometimes I take it to work with me in the back of my Ranger. After work I go over and drop it in right off a dock, and go for a nice sail. I go pretty far too! Not a problem at all!

As far as the swimming part, I personally have never gotten knocked down in it. Now, many others that have sailed it have gotten knocked down, but it looks sort of fun on a hot day. These boats have positive floatation and won't sink.

Once I was on a camping trip with the Boy Scouts, I let anyone use it that wanted to. (The boy's had to have a merit badge for sailing though) One of the fathers that said he was an experienced sailor took it. The wind was pretty high that day, he got knocked down no less than four times, once he completely turtled it. But it was a hot day, and we all had fun.

I use to have two of these, one was a Naples (yellow in the pic) and the other a Catalina, I sold the Naples for $500, sometimes I think I should have kept it. Oh well, I needed money for mods on my 26S...

If you have one and you think you are too heavy or too old, I say give it a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Attachments

Last edited:
May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
I'm a fat old man with bad knees. I may weigh more than the adult couple put together :Liar:

It was just my humor, not an actual statement on a sabot's carrying capacity.

Dec 17, 2008
MacGregor 26M Québec City
Just got back from a trip from Canada to the Florida Keys and back. I hauled my Mac behind my 16year old Buick Sabre. It was a nice experience, I can vouch for the fact that you can comfortably haul a 26M with a Buick for 6 thousand kilometers with out any problems. I dropped it and retrieved it from 3 different ramps while in Florida without any problems. Cost of Gas from Quebec Canada to Fort Lauderdale was 450$...hard to beat!
Q!

Sep 25, 2008
we started with a 19 footer,swing keel montego, trailer weight of 1200? moved up to a hunter 23 wing keel '86 with a trailer weight of about 2800 lbs and finally an S2 79 grand slam 26 footer with a lifting keel with 1800 lbs ballast and total boat weight of about 5500 loaded plus trailer. we have generally towed with suburbans 1500, 2500 4x4 and currently 2500 chevy hd 4wd pickup. With increased length you also get increased width and depth of hull ....and it seems thqt increases are geometric and not linnear. Wife and I could rig the 19 to sail in 15 min unless day was very hot and took 20 min...hunter 23 took 2 to 3 hours and the 26 footer takes 4-6. I believe the boom on the 26 is larger than the mast on the 19 footer. All have been trailered using double axle surge brake trailers safely, braking distances are extended with the larger boat, be vigilant and anticipate stops etc. If you wish to vary sailing areas and trailer around a lot, stay smaller and simpler...consider dry sailing from the trailer if on a tight budget...

Sep 25, 2008
ooops... a lot of the water ballasted boats lack the stiffness of a keel boat, do not point as well as a keel boat, and with their excessive freeboard they make a better cabin on the water. Some of the compromises in design required to produce large cabin interior volumes result in cabin roof with poor footing for going forward in dicey conditions.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
ooops... a lot of the water ballasted boats lack the stiffness of a keel boat, do not point as well as a keel boat, and with their excessive freeboard they make a better cabin on the water. Some of the compromises in design required to produce large cabin interior volumes result in cabin roof with poor footing for going forward in dicey conditions.
I'd just like to point out that the above comments are not necessarily true of all water ballast boats and a little harsh of others.

I'm glad you are happy with your boat, and we pull with a Suburban also, but I wouldn't want to tow yours 1000's of miles like we tow ours. Other than that looks like you have a great boat and probably enjoy it just as much as most water ballast boat owners enjoy theirs,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I've sailed back-to-back on a hunter 26 water ballast/ centerboard and a hunter 23 shoal keel w/ centerboard. There's no question that the 23 felt more stable, especially in 4-5 foot waves. Also, the 23 was definitly faster than the 26. Once ballasted, the water ballast boat is a lot heavier than the an equally ballasted keelboat.

Status
Not open for further replies.