Big scare with new standing rigging

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
When I hauled out my 2003 Catalina 310 in the fall of 2018, I decided to replace all the standing rigging, including the forestay. The next season, I noticed that I couldn't quite get all the slack out of the luff of the genoa. After hauling the boat in 2019, I decided to investigate. I noticed that the foils had been cut down slightly by the boatyard because they stated that the swivel was almost rubbing against the halyard guide at the top of the mast. This was verified by pictures I took before and after the rigging was replaced. Zooming in on the masthead where the new forestay was attached, I noticed what appeared to be a crack running the length of the Norseman fitting. I was about to call the yard and cuss them out. At the advice of a photography teacher, I went back and took another photo at a different time of the day. The "crack" had moved over towards the center, clearly indicating a reflection from the nearby halyard tucked against the mast. Saved me from the expense of paying a drone pilot to inspect the fitting, as well as unfairly blaming my boatyard

Attachments

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Good catch. I've used my 400mm zoom lens to help to help diagnose a couple of mast head issues for my fellow sailors at the marina.

Nov 24, 2014
Good catch. I've used my 400mm zoom lens to help to help diagnose a couple of mast head issues for my fellow sailors at the marina.
I used a Canon SX50 bridge camera with a 1200 mm zoom to get those shots, and digitally cropped them a bit. IMHO, a 400mm lens would not have gotten close enough to see the "crack" , especially if used on a full frame camera body. Now that I don't have to pay the drone pilot, or replace the stay, I think I am going to go out and buy the new Nikon P1000 bridge camera. That sucker goes out to 3000 mm. Could probably make out a mosquito perched at the top of the mast. BTW, here is a picture of the original headstay before replacement, which led to this wild goose chase.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Those are bright and clear images. Nice camera. Very helpful in the circumstance.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I used a Canon SX50 bridge camera with a 1200 mm zoom to get those shots, and digitally cropped them a bit. IMHO, a 400mm lens would not have gotten close enough to see the "crack" , especially if used on a full frame camera body. Now that I don't have to pay the drone pilot, or replace the stay, I think I am going to go out and buy the new Nikon P1000 bridge camera. That sucker goes out to 3000 mm. Could probably make out a mosquito perched at the top of the mast. BTW, here is a picture of the original headstay before replacement, which led to this wild goose chase.

Canon 70D with Canon 100-400 w/Canon EF 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS II, a little digital crop but not much else
This was on a Catalina 280.

Using photography to diagnose mast head issues before someone goes up the stick can save a lot of time, money and frustration

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Is that something that's commonly done?
That's my question. Why not send someone up to visually inspect it. Can't be that expensive. Not around here anyway... and they don't need a fancy camera either.

Nov 24, 2014
J
That's my question. Why not send someone up to visually inspect it. Can't be that expensive. Not around here anyway... and they don't need a fancy camera either.
Just ask your local boatyard and you will get the answer. For obvious safety reasons, no marina will allow anyone to climb the mast when the boat is on jackstands. the cradle, or travel lift. It could topple over, leaving everyone and anything near it in deep doggie:poop:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
My boat yard uses a crane to send someone up on a bosuns chair.
ps- you can get an excellent GPS stabilized drone these days for around $500. The smaller models don’t take much space to stow.

Nov 24, 2014
Canon 70D with Canon 100-400 w/Canon EF 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS II, a little digital crop but not much else
This was on a Catalina 280.

Using photography to diagnose mast head issues before someone goes up the stick can save a lot of time, money and frustration
You got closer than I thought with a lens of moderate focal length. From what I see, it looks like you could use a new set of halyards, and one of them looks like it slipped out of the sheave. Based on their overall condition, I would be hesitant to use them to support my weight on a bosuns chair. Also, your shot is missing quite a bit of detail. It might be partially due to digital cropping, but more likely, overexposure is the main culprit. It is better to underexpose these shots a bit, especially in bright sunlight. It is far easier to recover lost shadows than blown out highlights in Post processing. A circular polarizer might also have been helpful. If you look at my shots. the darker one shows better detail. They were both shot with the same camera in bright sulight

• Helpful
Nov 24, 2014
Double that if you want one that's waterproof: Spry | Waterproof Sports Drone with 4K Camera - Swellpro
For those reasons, I would not purchase a drone, unless I had other uses for it. In inexperienced hands, it could be an expensive proposition. One mistake, and it could go right into the masthead, destroying itself, along with antennas, lights, and wind vanes. A direct hit from the propeller might even slice through a rope halyard. Better to pay the experts. A lawyer who defends himself has a fool for a client

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Professional Drone pilots have a bit of FAA certifications and insurance to pay for, so there is some cost there. I've been flying radio Control aircraft since the 80s pretty much any type of aircraft from basic trainers, pattern / acrobatic aircraft, large scale, jets and helicopters. I bought a DJI Mavic Air 2 Christmas ago and the tech is impressive. Actually the tech is very good at keeping people out of trouble that don't have the stick time I have and initially I found it rather frustrating and limiting. In any case it is a fun tool / toy and since I can fly I can get pretty good close shots and inspections if ask I'd do it just to help out.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I used to have my father's 400 to 600 Novaflex lense which he mounted on a gun stock and used for photographing birds. But it was for a film camera body. I don't think you would get nearly the resolution. But the problem with that system was stabilization. How do you stabilize your 1200?

Nov 24, 2014
I used to have my father's 400 to 600 Novaflex lense which he mounted on a gun stock and used for photographing birds. But it was for a film camera body. I don't think you would get nearly the resolution. But the problem with that system was stabilization. How do you stabilize your 1200?
What I was using was not a massive 1200 mm telephoto lens. There is one made by Canon for full frame DSLR. It weighs 36 pounds, costs over 120k, and is only made on special order. I was using a canon sx50hs "bridge" camera which is about the size and weight of an entry level DSLR/kit lens combo. Due to its small sensor, it can zoom from 24-1200 equivalent. My shots were done at full optical zoom with some digital cropping. The camera has built in ultrasonic image stabilization, but that is not sufficient to avoid blurry images at full zoom unless you up the iso and shutter speed and have very steady hands. For most, including myself, a tripod is a must. I placed the camera on it and adjusted it until the masthead was at the center of the frame. I then zoomed in all the way and snapped my shot. I also put the shutter on time exposure so that vibration caused by pressing the shutter would not spoil my shots.