Best NMEA0183<->NMEA2000 converter for AIS/DCS/GPS (VHF<->Chartplotter)

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
We have an older Standard Horizon GX2150 that uses NMEA0183 to transmit/receive AIS,DSC/GPS data with a chartplotter. Our new chartplotter is a B&G Vulcan 7 FS that only has NMEA2000 connections.

I have seen 3 devices that look like they may fit the bill: (All cost about the same.)

Actisence NGW-1-AIS: (http://actisense.com/products/nmea-2000/ngw-1/ngw-1) May be bought preconfigured for AIS, else need to have update to firmware to pass AIS data. Updates and configuration must be done via PC. AIS data filtered out unless configured for it, if so non-AIS data is filtered out. Selects highest priority source in case of multiple similar source devices. [Edit: Just received an email response from the manufacturer, their product does NOT convert DSC sentences at this time.]

Alltec AMEC NK-80: (http://www.alltekmarine.com/products_detail.php?bgid=11&gid=25) In throry passes all NMEA senetences, but defaults to only 4800 baud, needs reconfiguring via PC to change data rate. Not known if it can select one of many similar sources or if all get passed. [Edit: This one also selects first found (Lowest node number). Passes AIS, DSC and GPS and more. Can be filtered using a PC to configure. Customer service was excellent for the pre-sales phase. This is the unit I ended up purchasing.]

FURUNO IF-NMEA2K2: (http://www.furunousa.com/products/productdetail.aspx?product=IF-NMEA2K2&category=Products+:+NMEA2000+Misc+Items+:+Misc+NMEA2000+Items) Configured by cutting wires. Not know if it can select one of many similar sources or if all get passed. Not known if it can be updated. [Edit: Seems this device also automatically selects the lowest node number (Highest Priority) among similar sources. Can be updated via a PC and serial port.]

All configurable devices require opening up the device and wiring in a serial connection. They can use USB, but then need a serial port emulator for it. Multiple GPS sources may cause confusion in reporting boat's position via DSC, so best if sources can be selected.

Does anyone have experience with any of they devices, or can suggest something better?

Thanks

Chris Wolcott
s/v Pretty Girl

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Take a look at signal k (signalk.org). They look like they have some interesting ideas in a user configurable solution. I just bought a 40 year old boat and will be looking more at the solutions they offer.

Good luck

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Before you do anything, give B&G or Simrad customer service a call. Not trying to be a smart ass, just saying they might have a simple solution. I added a Simrad TP22 tiller pilot to my N2K network's Vulcan 7 with an $35 adapter cable.... on advice from the same folks. Perhaps Standard Horizon could also suggest a solution.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I have written Navionics (who own Simrad,B&G and Lowrance) and Standard Horizon. Neither could suggest an alternative to a protocol converter. Currently ActiSense is OUT since they do not translate DSC sentences. AllTek and Furuno seem to do all I need, but getting info from AllTek has been difficult and I've only really gotten anything from their US distributor. Furuno has been quite forthcoming with responses and I am leaning their way.

I looked at the SignalK mentioned above. It translates both NMEA variants into a third 'open source' protocol that is not used by any of my devices.

FOLLOW-UP: I bought the Alltek converter after I got in touch with their Customer Service person for the States. Alltek (and MillTech) have been extremely helpful, while the Furuno rep was getting a little short in patience. Unfortunately it seems the Simrad NSS EVO2 and B&G Vulcan 7 FS do not use standard NMEA 2000 for GPS data, as the converter was unable to fully populate the NMEA0183 sentences from the data it got on the NMEA2000 side. So, even though I did not want to spend the extra dollars, I will end up with a B&G V50 & H50 VHF. It is NMEA2000, and since it is from Navionics it should understand their version of the data format.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have written Navionics (who own Simrad,B&G and RayMarine) and Standard Horizon. Neither could suggest an alternative to a protocol converter. Currently ActiSense is OUT since they do not translate DSC sentences. AllTek and Furuno seem to do all I need, but getting info from AllTek has been difficult and I've only really gotten anything from their US distributor. Furuno has been quite forthcoming with responses and I am leaning their way.

I looked at the SignalK mentioned above. It translates both NMEA variants into a third 'open source' protocol that is not used by any of my devices.
It may be easier, and maybe even less costly, to just install a B&G V-50/ Simrad RS35 or the Lowrance Link 8 (all N2k) and sell the Standard Horizon here in the classified section..

While the Vulcan is a good price point most every customer I know, who has installed one, has been at or darn close to a Zeus 2 by the time they were done trying to integrate it into their existing on-board system and still been left with less features. For a stand alone unit or on a 100% N2k install they work well but once you need to integrate it gets pricey..

BTW Raymarine is owned by FLIR. Navico is B&G, Simrad & Lowrance.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I did investigate that option, it would be the best way to deal with the issue. However, the V-50 is $350 at West Marine, and does not look like it has an option for a remote mike. Others I've looked at were about the same up to $600+, and then needed an additional $200+/- for a remote mike. The $200 for a converter is way cheaper in my situation.

RobG

Jun 2, 2004
Ericson 28 Noank, Ct
Thanks Chris for posting this. I'm in the exact same pickle with a Zeus Touch 8 and a GX2100 and have been researching the same things. The Furuno looks like a good find. If you review the sentence coverage it looks like it's got both the AIS and DSC covered.
Maine, Chris,
The B&G V50 does have a wireless remote mic option for another $150. Not sure I'd want to have a mic/display at the helm and have to deal with a recharging situation. Also in my case I'm already wired up and installed with the SH RAM mic at the helm. I hate to just trash all of that. I like the mic display and how the install came out.
I'll probably go for the Furuno option and give it a try in the spring (or maybe over the winter if it doesn't stay too cold. I could actually use a second converter to the old AP to send it wind data and AP to the wind.
Thanks for the info though Maine.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,
I currently have the Simrad RS35 and HS35 remote handset. THe RS353 is below at the nav station and the HS35 is at the helm. The charger is at the helm too so when underway the HS35 is on and charging at the helm. The RS35 is on my NMEA2K network and connected to a Garmin 740S plotter. I also have a Ray Evo 100 pilot on the same network and all communicate nicely.
I just bought the Vulcan 7FS unit and I hope it's just plug and play on the same network (once I wire in the power connector).
BTW the RS35 is on sale at Defender for $330 and the HS35 is $140.
Barry

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I had an old Cobra VHF that only did 0183. I replaced it with the Simrad RS35. About $350. It has a hand held remote available. It was plug and play and gave me AIS reception which is why I made the change. Just make sure the RS35 has the most recent software on it. There is a thread out there about that.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I finally got mine up and running last week. I have a Standard Horizon GX2200 and Raymarine a78 chartplotter. When I discovered it was not plug and play I first bought the Actisense NGW-1 but bought the non-AIS version because I didn't do enought research to know any better. After conversations with the Raymarine and Actisense tech support folks I got it worked out. This involved buying some more parts to get the NGW-1 device connected to my computer and then updating the firmware. I have to say the Raymarine guy was really helpful, he knew exactly what I needed to do to get the Actisense device fixed and then pointed me in the right direction with the various Standard Horizon wiring options.

To +1 MaineSail's comment, I bought the GX2200 thinking it worked the same as the Raymarine version for a couple hundred less. By the time I bought the Actisense device and the adaptors needed to connect it to the SeatalkNG I have spent more than if I just bought the Raymarine radio with AIS.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I did investigate that option, it would be the best way to deal with the issue. However, the V-50 is $350 at West Marine, and does not look like it has an option for a remote mike. Others I've looked at were about the same up to $600+, and then needed an additional $200+/- for a remote mike. The $200 for a converter is way cheaper in my situation.
I have the Simrad RS35 radio and the HS35 Handset.. B&G v50 is same exact radio. You can save money at WM by waiting for sales and discount coupon promotions... they have them all the time. The way I see it... you could take the $200 converter fee and apply it to the cost of the new VHF,AIS, DSC n2k drop in unit. Sell the Standard Horizon to recover the additional $150. BTW the handset is not just a remote mike. It is a full featured extension of the base unit radio, it shows AIS targets on the display, maked dsc calls etc. You can mount the cradle/charger at the helm for convenience and keep the handset inside for security when you're away from boat. No brainer.