VHF/AIS

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
image.png I sail in an area in upper Galveston Bay where there is an intersection of the Bayport Channel and the Houston Ship Channel. The volume of commercial traffic coming in and out of Bayport has increased significantly in recent years. There are places when one is crossing the Bayport Channel where you cannot see far enough up into the channel to clearly see what is coming out.

Therefore, I want to put an AIS receiver to interface with my Garmin 541s Chartplotter. I have a small N2K network for transmitting wind data from my mast head GWind. My current VHF radio is getting Lat/Long for DSC via NMEA 0183. I use the Boat Beacon App, but have had a few times when it was down and "could not see any boats" , but there were several within sight. So I want a bulletproof (not literally) way of receiving AIS.

I have made the determination that the most cost effective way to get AIS data to my chartplotter is to purchase a new VHF with AIS reception built in and N2K capable. I have been looking at the Simrad RS35 and the Lowrance Link 8 they each of pretty decent reviews. (I have read Panbo) I have looked at transponders and AIS receivers but by the time you add a separate antennae or a splitter you are almost in for a boat unit ($1,000). I do not have a burning need to transmit my location these vessels could do little to avoid me if I am silly enough to find myself in their way.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these VHF's or is there another one that you would recommend I look at.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I have the standard horizon gx2200 VHF. I use the actisense ngw-1 to send the 0183 to my n2k network. Connection takes just minutes and was a piece of cake. vhf can be had for about $350 plus about $150 for the gateway.

Works flawlessly.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,
I have the Simrad unit. It is connected to my NMEA 2000 network and the data is displayed on my Garmin 740S plotter. The installation and set up were very easy. The Lowrance and Simard units are basically the same. The only significant difference is that you can get a remote, wireless handset for the Simrad unit while the Lowrance unit doesn't support a remote handset.
If you already have a NMEA 2000 network I can't see you going backwards to NMEA 0183.
Barry

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
It sucks that the 2200 is 0183, but the actisense gateway is hidden away with the wiring and self powered so you don't even think about it. I'm sure standard horizons next version will have native n2k, but in the meantime, it really works perfectly. The AIS display on the radio (and remote mic if you get it ) is really intuitive to use too if you want to see vessel info.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have a Standard Horizon 2150 with AIS and DSC. It is linked into my Garmin 441s. It was tricky to wire because finding a right wiring diagram was hard. Once I did get it hooked up it worked great and I really like it. I had to install the complete package, VHF, Antenna, etc. The cost was around $500 but it was well worth it since I never had a house VHF before.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We have the Simrad RS35 and HS35 handset on our Simnet (essentially NMEA 2000) network with other Simrad devices. Works just fine as a radio and for sending AIS to the rest of the network. Older versions of the firmware had some bugs (causing interference on the NMEA 2K network and ceasing to scan channels intermittently), but the newer software versions seem better. The RS35 itself can be updated over NMEA from a Simrad plotter - not sure if a Garmin plotter could update it. To update the HS35 it has to be sent back to Navico/Simrad.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Ditto! we've had the RS-35 and HS-35 since they were introduced and they work really well. the wireless handset is really useful, especially if the radio is below (mounted in the nav station). We use the handset in the cockpit. easy to set up on NMEA 2000, talks to our Simrad and Lowrance plotters. The new versions should have the updated software

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
What got me to go with the standard horizion over the simrad (b&g) was that the 2200 has a built in GPS and doesn't rely on the network to feed it coordinates. Should the network or MFDs go down, the VHF will still be able to transmit your gps position using DSC. Also, the remote mic is hard wired in the cockpit which means you never have to remember to charge it.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The Simrad RS35 and B&G V50 have been some of the most buggy VHF radios I have installed. There have been a number of software updates to address bugs yet some still exhibit issues, even after v2.84, which is now on v2.87. If you don't have a Simrad or B&G MFD you would need to send the unit back for software updates.

For me I can usually borrow another customers MFD, or use one I have in-stock, and the customer too gets a software update. The issue was such a PITA that I am extremely cautious on jumping on any "new" Navico products before the bugs have been ironed out.

Before purchasing one I would make damn sure it has the latest software revision in it and this is usually only going to happen from a legit dealer/installer. You're not likely to get the best "internet" price and the most current software but it could happen.. I know for a fact that there are still some RS35's & V50's out there in inventory running pre v2.84 software..

As an installer who makes virtually zero margin on these devices I simply can't afford to be a field tester for the manufacturer, these bugs need to be sorted before a product ships. As an end user you may feel it is okay.. The VHF 300AIS from Garmin has been very reliable but not everyone wants a "black box" VHF nor do they want to spend 3/4 of a boat buck.

While having an N2K compatible VHF is nice, it is not the end of the world to install a well proven 0183 VHF/AIS unit that has been virtually trouble free from the start, the Standard Horizon fits that bill and they are reasonably priced. Both Navico and SH are excellent companies but SH does an exceptional job with customer support and service.

I certainly hope Navico sorts their bugs out better for future launches, but for now, I would only recommend one if you have a way to stay on top of software updates. With a Garmin plotter, there is no decent way to do this unless you have a buddy with a Simrad MFD. Not saying don't buy one just saying be sure you get current v2.87 software and be sure you have a way to update it, unless you don't mind sending it back....

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I have had the Simrad RS 35 for 5 mos.... N2K network with B&G MFD/Chart plotter... Installation was very, very easy and simple.... So far so good.. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I have a VHF with AIS. One point about your area. Learn how to turn the warning buzzers OFF or that place will drive you insane. Coming thru Pelican, and continuing up the Bolivar Channel, I was getting near approach buzzers like every 30 seconds. ALL the tows parked along the way have their transmitters running, and there are hundreds of them!! Kept it off til I crossed the Mississippi River

Just something to remember

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
I have a VHF with AIS. One point about your area. Learn how to turn the warning buzzers OFF or that place will drive you insane. Coming thru Pelican, and continuing up the Bolivar Channel, I was getting near approach buzzers like every 30 seconds. ALL the tows parked along the way have their transmitters running, and there are hundreds of them!! Kept it off til I crossed the Mississippi River

Just something to remember
Roger that! The near approach distance and warning is the first thing I will learn to adjust.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Thanks for all of the good input. Maine Sail thanks for the information on the software! I'll post results after I do it

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
So an update. My local WM special ordered the Simrad RS35 after talking to the Simrad warehouse and being assured they make every effort to ensure the radios leave with updated software. Perhaps they tried, but they failed. Got to my WM to pick up my radio and they were kind enough to hook it up to a battery so I could check the software before leaving yep....it was version 2.84. They tried to get an update from Simrad, but no. So I loaded the update to an sd card and we will hook the radio up to a Simrad MFD there in the store and update from my card. Don't know about your WM but I have always received outstanding customer service at the one on Marina Bay drive in Kemah, Texas. I'll let you know when I can see the big boats coming on my Garmin mfd.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Final reporting on getting AIS to my chart plotter. Went to WM with Simrad update in hand. Hooked up the radio to a Simrad MFD in the store, got the radio updated and installed. Pretty much plug and play, did have to activate AIS information on my Garmin MFD. Maine Sail thanks for the heads up on the most recent software version!