Best genoa for Catalina 30

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Consider also if you are mostly a cruiser where you want the tack and the clew. Placing the tack as low as possible will obstruct your visibility and probably cause your sail to rub on the bow pulpit and lifelines. Raise it up a bit and you improve visibility forward and avoid the rubbing. Raising the clew will greatly improve visibility as well. What you are trading off here is sail area and potential sailing speed for increased visibility. If you are sailing alone and not racing my suggestion is to opt for more visibility by raising the tack and the clew.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
i concur, it just makes sense considering i am alone. In the past on my O'day i was confident sailing with friends who don't know anything about it. Now with Luchi she's only 5ft longer but the tall rig with bigger sails at the moment compels me to have at the very least a lookout but after my first interstate sail experience with a lookout i lost that confidence. i can be friends with just about anyone but in the past 8 mos. i've met more shady sailors than when i first started sailing. At the yc i did meet a sailor on a catamaran, he invited me aboard and to join him on a sail whilst i get the boat fixed. Most of the sailors at the yc have motorboats and spend more time in the slip partying, been invited to those but i don't live there, i just want to fix boat and sail, can't afford to party, yet. The marinas i am familiar with do not charge extra for use of their bathrooms but this one does, 300$/season, i feel it's wrong to charge clients for this, is this happening elsewhere?

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
i don't turn engine on whilst in the slip, i will shut fuel valve off from now on, thanks for the tip. i have shore power but not connected to the boat's outlet, rather i bought a pigtail 125v30am-15amp and it works really well. i will replace the outlet on deck soon, but will not use it. If one were to connect shore power to the boat outlet, do you disconnect batteries from terminal?

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
Been busy working but finally was able to measure the linguineed genoa. The luff is 38', i can't get leach and foot measurements. Looking into a 130% genoa with 37' luff, 34'4" leach and 13'8" foot, without sun cover. Would it be good for the Catalina 30 tall rig?