Best Fill for Drill and Tap

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I need to replace my port bow cleat. The old one was bent for me. (Don’t ask!). I have been unable to find a replacement that will go into the existing holes. I will need to fill the two forward holes and drill new mounting holes. The new holes will impinge on the old holes (old spacing is 3.75 inches; new spacing is 3.62 inches). Flat head bolt is 5/16.

What is the best fill material? West epoxy poured into the hole (put tape over the hole exits)? Epoxy putty?

The mounting bolts go through the aluminum plate (which was not threaded). They had backing nuts with standard washers and lock washers. I had to cut a hole in the anchor well and install an inspection hatch to access the backing nuts

I plan to use fender washers and nylon insert lock nuts when I install the new cleat.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I need to replace my port bow cleat. The old one was bent for me. (Don’t ask!). I have been unable to find a replacement that will go into the existing holes. I will need to fill the two forward holes and drill new mounting holes. The new holes will impinge on the old holes (old spacing is 3.75 inches; new spacing is 3.62 inches). Flat head bolt is 5/16.

What is the best fill material? West epoxy poured into the hole (put tape over the hole exits)? Epoxy putty?

The mounting bolts go through the aluminum plate (which was not threaded). They had backing nuts with standard washers and lock washers. I had to cut a hole in the anchor well and install an inspection hatch to access the backing nuts

I plan to use fender washers and nylon insert lock nuts when I install the new cleat.
Is it possible to offset the new cleat by 1/2 inch so the holes don't impinge? You can still fill the old holes with epoxy putty and sand flush. This could work if you still can get a fairlead to the cleat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA

KZW

May 17, 2014
Yes , and a lot of cleats look like that. The problem is finding one that is 10 inches long, with mounting holes:
Fore/aft: 3.75 inches
Port/stbd: 1.75 inches

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Trying to understand the dimensions...
The holes are located 3.75" center to center length.
and 1.75" center to center width.

Cleat Specs.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have been unable to find a replacement that will go into the existing holes.
I'm sure you've looked thoroughly. Just to check: Catalina Yachts AND Catalina Direct, too?

KZW

May 17, 2014
I'm sure you've looked thoroughly. Just to check: Catalina Yachts AND Catalina Direct, too?
Catalina parts in Clearwater has been unable to source the cleat. I e been unable to obtain dimensions fro Catalina Direct. I’ve looked at offerings from Defender, West Marine, Walmart, and other on line vendors. Sun or appears to be closest in size/shape to the existing cleat, but fire/aft mounting is about 1/8 inch short of existing holes.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Have you tried to straighten it? I would think a try would be worth the effort rather than having to reengineer the mounting regime. I would make up some simple wood vee block tooling and put it in my 30 ton press. Probably any machine shop would be willing to give it a try.

SJN

May 30, 2021
Catalina C310 Seattle
hello! Why not cast a new one with the same hole spacing as the bent one? If you do not like the look of a bronze casting on one side, make two so they match.

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
I would recommend over-sizing your current holes to 3/8 or 7/16 before filling them, to give a good "clean" edge to bond against.
I'd either use a thickened epoxy (glass beads), or get some G10 rod of appropriate size and cut some plugs to glue in with thicked epoxy. If you go that route, rough-up the OD of the G10 rod to get good bonding.

Once you have the holes filled solid and sanded flush, drilling the new holes should be easy. Just thinking the G10 plug might give you a more consistent density to keep the drill bit from wondering on you.

Also, fender washers are ok, but if you cut an access hole already, take a few minutes to make a 1/8" SS backing plate, always a better solution. Remember the anti-seize in the SS fasteners!

G10 rod

KZW

May 17, 2014
Thanks!!! First I’ve heard of G10. I think this will work

I would recommend over-sizing your current holes to 3/8 or 7/16 before filling them, to give a good "clean" edge to bond against.
I'd either use a thickened epoxy (glass beads), or get some G10 rod of appropriate size and cut some plugs to glue in with thicked epoxy. If you go that route, rough-up the OD of the G10 rod to get good bonding.

Once you have the holes filled solid and sanded flush, drilling the new holes should be easy. Just thinking the G10 plug might give you a more consistent density to keep the drill bit from wondering on you.

Also, fender washers are ok, but if you cut an access hole already, take a few minutes to make a 1/8" SS backing plate, always a better solution. Remember the anti-seize in the SS fasteners!

G10 rod

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Have you tried to straighten it? I would think a try would be worth the effort rather than having to reengineer the mounting regime. I would make up some simple wood vee block tooling and put it in my 30 ton press. Probably any machine shop would be willing to give it a try.
It is deeply scarred and already rusting. Even if it could be bent back I would doubt it’s integrity and it would look like hell

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
hello! Why not cast a new one with the same hole spacing as the bent one? If you do not like the look of a bronze casting on one side, make two so they match.
73843EEC-7331-4EA2-BAF4-781505C29E24.jpeg
Here hold my beer.

SJN

May 30, 2021
Catalina C310 Seattle
Nice! I will hold your beer if it is light junk. If a good Porter, I will drink it.