Best diesel fuel additive?

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Any suggestions between Biobar JF and Bioguard Plus 6?

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
This is a touchy subject, flame suit on!
At work in our backup generators I use Power Service Clear Diesel - as a stabilizer, Power Service Diesel Supplement - to lower the cold filter plugging point, and P S Diesel Kleen - to raise the cetane level and to clean the injectors. We do have the fuel tested each year. The Clear Diesel seems to be an effective stabilizer, others are not. You shouldn't need to worry about cold filter plugging point on a boat. Increasing the cetane level in theory can be helpful if the engine is difficult to start cold. I have also used P S Bio Kleen in a tank with slime in the bottom, the tests for bio growth always showed negative but the slime tells a different story.

Removing the water by pumping or draining is always the first step to a healthy fuel system!

I use P S Diesel Kleen and P S Clear Diesel in my boat. My boat only holds a small amount of fuel and I use it often. I don't have problems with fuel, at least not on my boat.

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
I'm sure there are others like me who never end up running the engine much in normal use. I'll start it, let it warm up a while, then 5 minutes later I'm outside the marina and raising sail. So that 20 gallon tank lasts a long time. I know that I should take it out and run it hard occasionally, but I always fall end up sailing.
I haven't used a fuel stabilizer, it doesn't sit for extended periods, but Biobor is good for keeping growth down in the fuel.
I just use the leftovers from work- we do a periodic test and treatment in the corporate jets I maintain, on manufacturers recommendation. There is usually a bit left in the bottle, so I work out the dose and add it to the boat.
The airplanes go through a LOT of fuel, and they still recommend it, so I don't mind taking their advice.
The other products I have not used, so no recommendation or comparison.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
I'm sure there are others like me who never end up running the engine much in normal use. I'll start it, let it warm up a while, then 5 minutes later I'm outside the marina and raising sail. So that 20 gallon tank lasts a long time. I know that I should take it out and run it hard occasionally, but I always fall end up sailing.
I haven't used a fuel stabilizer, it doesn't sit for extended periods, but Biobor is good for keeping growth down in the fuel.
I just use the leftovers from work- we do a periodic test and treatment in the corporate jets I maintain, on manufacturers recommendation. There is usually a bit left in the bottle, so I work out the dose and add it to the boat.
The airplanes go through a LOT of fuel, and they still recommend it, so I don't mind taking their advice.
I fall into this category with my 27 gallon tank. Once in while will run WOT for half hour but still ten minutes
out of marina up go the sails. My concern keeping growth down in fuel. Thank you and others for your
comments.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose,
CA

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus:
On @LeslieTroyer’s recipe. Been using it on my tanks and starting to get a clean tank after 2 years.

Fuel was 4plus years old when I got the boat in 2015. Been working my way through the fuel. Adding new fuel to as I’m working down the old fuel.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
With a year round season I refill every 9-12 months with fuel from the dock which uses Valvtect which contains bioguard. My mechanic is pretty insistent on adding Cetane booster, and I've noticed a lot less soot and exhaust smoke on start-up since following his advice.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I use injector cleaner in my new primary fuel filter when I change them out. I used Valvtec fuel in California. Not sure what is in the fuel I get here, maybe Valvtec when I refuel in Roche Harbor. Heck, it's still cheaper to motor 5 hours there and back again to fill the tank! 10 hours, 5 gallons, 1/4 of my usable tank volume, still ahead $$-wise. Plus I really like Roche - and I usually get to see my friends there.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
For general info found out shelf life for Biobor is three years from date on bottom of container. First two of four
numbers is month and and last two is year product put in container.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We use biobor jf and diesel with valvetech, refuel alot with diesel from a marina that goes through alot and also add diesel shock, ever since we got our boat with old fuel that got all stirred up and clogged our system-got the tank polished-ever since than no problems!