Best Depth finder for $200

Apr 25, 2013
Hunter 25.5 Tiverton RI
I am looking to replace my broken depth finder and I really do not want to spend more than $200, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you are going to let money do your shopping then google your question and you will find a lot fishfinders for less than 200.00 a quick search brought up a lot of Lowrance x5's..thats what i do when budget is close

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
You might want to consider a good used depth finder. They are sometimes available on ebay. You may need a transducer too. I am using a Raymarine product which is very accurate at shallow depths, where you generally need them the most.

Nils T

Jun 1, 2014
Precision 23 Winter Park, FL
The boat I purchased used came with an Uniden QT-206 Depth finder. I still worked but the plastic on the display was cracked. I did a lot of searching and I found Norcross Hawkeye depth finder. The best thing about it was that the new instrument worked with the old sender and they only charged me $35 for the replacement. norcrossmarine.com

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
AS a former sailboat dealer, I was open to and still open to ideas. Recently, Kermit on his Hunter 260 installed a Hummingbird with a triangular puck or transducer in his boat but did not want to put a thru hull of any kind. I assisted him first showing Kermit where to place that puck inside the hull. The next thing was to sand as much gel coat off and making the area smooth. During the manufacturing of the hull or laying of the glass, all use resin rollers to smooth out the glass and getting the air bubbles out of the glass. Air bubbles can and will affect any transducer sending signals going thru the hull.

Then acetone was used to clean the area and we used and I say used plumber's putty. I put a glob on the hull and fully emersed the transducer into it and built it up around that unit. It worked and the readings that we got back were on the mark. No messy mineral baths nor toilet rings. Plus that putty was cheap. I had to see it to believe it.

Jan 15, 2011
Catalina 34MKII, 22 wing & 22 swing Privateer YC, Chattanooga, TN
Set it in a big blob of silicon and you wont have a problem. Just be sure there are no air bubbles.

Kent

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
Bought a Hummingbird fish finder with depth for around $79 about 10 years ago. Mounted the transducer in silicone inside the hull. Still works great. Good to depths up to 600'.

Apr 25, 2013
Hunter 25.5 Tiverton RI
Since I have some time now, I will check the marine consignments shops to see if they have any or if they get one over the winter.

Thanks for your input, this is a great site

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
i'll second that Humminbird (no g) HDR650 which is the current number for the one I am guessing Kermit has based on the price.
Works great and easily found for around $80 with transponder.

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
Depth Sounder for Hunter 25.5

Comments on your search for a depth sounder for a Hunter 25.5:

In lieu of a traditional depth sounder I installed a Garmin 160C fish finder on my Hunter 25.5. The color display shows a profile of the bottom. This provides some feel for how fast the bottom is shoaling. It is not forward looking so you still have be aware of bottom conditions, but then no instrument replaces situational awareness. The display also includes a read out of the water temperature and the battery voltage. The good news is that it was relatively inexpensive. I purchased it online from Walmart for $162.25 w/tax. The only downside is that it does not much like being in direct sunlight on 100 F days (but then neither do I).

Before I purchased it I called Garmin to ask about mounting the transducer inside ... and shooting thru the fiberglass hull. They said “no problem” ... with the usual caveats about air voids and hull thickness. With that in mind, on my Hunter 25.5, I mounted the transducer underneath the cabin sole in the forward cabin, directly ahead of the keel. To ensure good acoustical contact with the hull I built a small wooden box (open on the top and bottom), glued it to the inside of the hull, put the transducer in and then filled the box up with toilet bowl wax (two rings worth). This makes for a clean installation and it works great.

To mount the display I fabricated a bracket that slides down (into) the portside aluminum frame around the companionway hatch. It attaches only to the side ... so it is not a trip hazard. (But if anyone were ever to fall against it ... it would be history. But this is a Hunter 25.5 that I day sail on an inland lake ... not everything onboard must be rigged to survive a knock down in the Southern Ocean.)

In lieu of a traditional chart plotter I use the Navionics iPhone/iPad app. It is relatively inexpensive and includes charts for inland lakes ... so I am happy with it. I mention this because they just announced a depth sounder addition to the app. I have not purchased it, so this is not an endorsement or a recommendation. (I have not even seen it in operation.) But it sure looks interesting. There is only the transducer to mount. Apparently it includes the ultrasonic components as well as a WiFi hub. It then (via WiFi) transmits the depth sounder data (and water temperature) to the iPhone/iPad for display in the Navionics screen. Here’s a URL: http://www.navionics.com/en/sonarphone

Regards,

E. Godsey

Attachments

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I like the Lowrance Fishfinders better than the Humminbirds. Personal preference.

A side note- ALL , yes ALL the manufacurers recommend the use of epoxy to stick the transducer down for "shoot through hull"

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
i'll second that Humminbird (no g) HDR650 which is the current number for the one I am guessing Kermit has based on the price. Works great and easily found for around $80 with transponder.
I have the Humminbird 175. Used it underway for the first time today. Shows bottom contour and digital depth readout. Saw no fish, though. Uncle Crazy Dave and I bedded the transducer in plumber's putty per Chris Patterson's suggestion. Smith Mountain Lake is deep! And steep.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Same as Kermit, Hummingbird 150, same result. My slip has 4.5 feet of water and it took a while for me to realize that the depth finder reads from where the transducer is, so it was showing about a foot less. A little bit of a shocker on a lake that fluctuates due to being flood control.

It's turned out to be great fun for the kids, too. They like to watch the contours of the bottom, as we pass over the creek channels and the occasional old foundation.

I think I bought it for a little les than $100, plus a couple bucks for the plumbers putty.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
If it makes ya feel any better, I've had one glued down with it for WELL over a year, and almost in the engine compartment albeit,

Still seeing little fishies..

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The best cheap depth finder for you will depend on what you want to do with the boat. If you are going to do some fishing, then a fishfinder type can be very helpful. If you are going to sail in very deep water & want to use water depth as a cross check for position, then something with deep range is going to be a must have. This may mean spending more on the transducer than the reader head. If you don't already have navigation devices, then a combination GPS/depth finder may be the best thing for you. I have seen a Garmin combo unit for $200 at a local shop on sale. Unfortunately when my friend went to use it, we found that there were no charts loaded into it. Loading a few dozen waypoints for reference made it usable for navigation.

I picked up a 7" Hook from Lowrance for less than $300 a few months ago. It gives good pictures of the bottom & has a basic chartplotter with charts installed. I consider that an excellent value for what I want to do with my boat.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I have a Hawkeye. It’s purely a depth readout. No fancy graphics. But only $100. Works great.