Best Bilge Pump?

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Then either it was trapped elsewhere in the bilge, leaked from tankage, your pump discharge needs a loop, or you've got a leak somewhere. If you have water coming in at 18 degrees, that's reason to be concerned. Did you try the water level trick I suggested to see if you had a high loop in the discharge?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
None of the above. It’s water flowing in through the outlet pipe when it dips below the surface. There’s no other loose water anywhere else in the boat.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Roger. The plot thickens. Then, you need to chase the pump discharge line end-to-end and figure out why. And as I recall, you said that would be difficult... Sounds like you don't have a high loop near the discharge point, or it's not vented and you're lucky enough to create a back-siphon scenario at +18 degrees of heel.

Probably too cold to do much checking, but plugging one end and blowing on the other will tell you if there is a vent or break in the line. Then, you could use water level to check for a high point. A go-pro aimed at the discharge while underway and heeling, so you could see what the water is doing at the thru hull (outside), might tell you if the velocity near the thru hull was forcing water in.

The discharge thru-hull isn't a forward facing scoop I assume?

Interesting problem. Thanks for posting.

Jan 2, 2017
Good suggestions. I’m fairly convinced there’s no loop.
I'll post results after installing the new, backflow-preventing pump.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It’s not a lot. 2-3” maybe. But I want my bilge dry. That way I can keep it clean.
The only pump that will keep the bilge dry is a diaphragm pump located in the lowest part of the bilge. A good diaphragm pump will still leave a little bit of water, mine leaves about a ¼" or so.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
The pump you bought has a single rubber 3-point check valve (duck bill, etc). When new and clean, this will likely prevent or at least greatly slow the rate of back wash. I would still encourage you to troubleshoot the discharge backwash. If you don't have a loop, and there are points of heel that cause water to be forced into the discharge, you still have a pretty serious issue. Your boat, your call. Just offering a friendly opinion. Good luck!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
How much water? Doesn't the pump discharge any excess as soon as the boat turns upright? Backflow volume should never be a problem, could you please define your situation. Is water spilling out into the sole?

Jan 2, 2017
I’m very happy with the new pump. No backwash. Electronic sensor keeps the bilge down to a minimum.