Beneteau 373 Single Handing

JHorr

Oct 9, 2019
Beneteau 373 New Bern
I have a B373 that I sail solo quite often. Does anyone have any ideas for better access to the traveler lines. She is a shoal draft which is fine for our skinny waters but does round up much easier that a deep draft. Due to the large cockpit, by the time I can get to the traveler lines, it's to late. Any thoughts on how to route them back to the helm.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Depends on how your traveler is rigged, cleated. On my 310, I have exposed cam cleats and just have long tails on the traveler lines that reach back to the wheel. With those, I can "snap" the line out of the cleat and adjust accordingly. See the pic. That's not an OEM setup, I had to improvise when I discovered the OEM cleats inside that Amiot end cap were shot.

Attachments

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
If you already have ready access to the mainsheet and also want similar access to the traveler, that makes sense. The traveler is more of a trim adjustment, whereas the mainsheet can and will override your control of the boat. Dumping the traveler can partially lower the load on the main, which may or may not provide enough relief. Dumping the mainsheet always will.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Like @JRacer,I have long leads on my traveller lines, so I can stretch them out on the cockpit seats, and grab them when needed.

My cockpit isn’t nearly as long as the B373 (one of my dream boats by the way)...but I can a hand on the line most of the time.

When I bought this boat (O’Day 322) the PO had set up a single-line traveller (like a loop). You had to literally stand in the companionway and reach over to the traveller to adjust it. One of the first things I changed.

You can see the port line in this video. I am not single handed (my mother snd sister were with me) but pretty close ;-)

Sometimes the lines end up on the cockpit sole, but then it means it was an exciting sail!

Cheers,

Greg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Good advice above...........install rigging hardware so you can operate the traveler lines from the cockpit wheel and use the main sheet for primary control and traveler for trim control to spill wind.

Jan 7, 2011
Good advice above...........install rigging hardware so you can operate the traveler lines from the cockpit wheel and use the main sheet for primary control and traveler for trim control to spill wind.
I don’t disagree, but that is not my way of doing it. I seldom use the mainsheet, preferring to use the traveller.

But sail trim is not my strong suit...so I will keep reading and learning :cool:

Greg

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
My B-323 had the traveler cleated off in the same manner so I am surmising the main is handled the same way as well. If so, it is not easy to trim from the wheel since it is cleated on the cabin top and handled by the winch up there so it isn't any easier to trim than the traveler from the wheel.

JHorr

Oct 9, 2019
Beneteau 373 New Bern
Yes, the B373 is the same scenario. Main sheet is controlled by cabin top winch. Not accessable to the helm. The traveler lines are cleated by cabin top rope clutches. The only thing I can think of is replace the rope clutches with jam cleats and have the traveler lines long enough to reach the helm.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My 323 is not that different from the 373. I have a Lewmar traveller on the cabin top forward of the hatch. It has cam cleats at each end that are adjusted to angle slightly inboard.
The traveller lines are long enough, like Greg’s, to reach the cockpit seats. On a breezy day, I can drape them over the instrument pod so that they don’t normally end up on the cockpit floor.
I learned to drop the traveller in a puff, and pull it back up in a lull. Its a simple “flip” up to uncleat the windward line and then pull back through the cam cleat to pull the traveller back to windward.
I don’t normally make macro adjustments with the main sheet, and if I am single handing I will put in a reef sooner rather than later. Even with a deep draft keel, the boat is tender, and will round up fairly quickly if its overpowered.
My way of adjusting seems to work well for me on my boat, but may not be everyone’s preferred method. It all depends on personal preference, learning experience, and how the boat itself responds.

JHorr

Oct 9, 2019
Beneteau 373 New Bern
My 323 is not that different from the 373. I have a Lewmar traveller on the cabin top forward of the hatch. It has cam cleats at each end that are adjusted to angle slightly inboard.
The traveller lines are long enough, like Greg’s, to reach the cockpit seats. On a breezy day, I can drape them over the instrument pod so that they don’t normally end up on the cockpit floor.
I learned to drop the traveller in a puff, and pull it back up in a lull. Its a simple “flip” up to uncleat the windward line and then pull back through the cam cleat to pull the traveller back to windward.
I don’t normally make macro adjustments with the main sheet, and if I am single handing I will put in a reef sooner rather than later. Even with a deep draft keel, the boat is tender, and will round up fairly quickly if its overpowered.
My way of adjusting seems to work well for me on my boat, but may not be everyone’s preferred method. It all depends on personal preference, learning experience, and how the boat itself responds

JHorr

Oct 9, 2019
Beneteau 373 New Bern
Sounds like you have jam cleats where I have too clutches. I will most likely have to convert them

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have a B373 that I sail solo quite often. Does anyone have any ideas for better access to the traveler lines. Any thoughts on how to route them back to the helm.
Same on the 343. One line clutch for each line on the traveler. Quick release cam cleats would be an improvement.

Jan 7, 2011
Sounds like you have jam cleats where I have too clutches. I will most likely have to convert them
Yes, that is the way mine are set up...I don’t have a good photo though.

Greg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto jam cleats with traveler lines that are accessible from the helm for traveler control. That is the way my sailboat is set up.

Mar 22, 2010
Beneteau 343 Panama City
My shoal draft Bene343 is also tender and has a similar setup to a 373. I sail mostly solo and IMO Sailfanatic has it correct; generally speaking mainsheet is for dumping and traveler is for tuning. Nothing wrong with using the traveler to adjust to wind gusts if someone is dedicated to the task (or you are standing in front of the helm) but I keep the mainsheet looped backwards in the self tailing winch so I all I have to do is pull on the mainsheet to get it out of self tailer and then release to ease main. All easily done from anywhere in the cockpit.

To answer your question more directly, I used to bring the active traveler control line (opposite side to active jib sheet) back to the inactive primary so I could release from behind the helm. I can steer my boat with the traveler using this technique (rudder in center). This works really well except for one issue; unless you hold the traveler line up high it rubs on the gelcoat at the cabin top as the primary is lower. So I don't do this anymore.

Feb 22, 2017
Beneteau Sense 50 Perth Amboy
While this does not answer your question: the rounding issue on my 373 was significantly reduced by swapping the fixed 3 blade propeller for a self feathering 3 blade. At the same time I replaced the furling main with a vertical batten main and reduced the genoa to 110%

The net result was improved pointing, less heal and marked reduction in rounding.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
While this does not answer your question: the rounding issue on my 373 was significantly reduced by swapping the fixed 3 blade propeller for a self feathering 3 blade. At the same time I replaced the furling main with a vertical batten main and reduced the genoa to 110%

The net result was improved pointing, less heal and marked reduction in rounding.
Jose, what change of these was responsible for the reduction in rounding up or what is a bit of everything? At first I was having a hard time attributing any change to the prop but then wondered if it could be that the fixed prop was causing enough disruption in front of the rudder to cause it to lose grip? At first blush the reduction in jib size could certainly help pointing but the center of effort should move further back, wouldn't it? If you had problems with rounding up I would think you would not want to move the COE back.
Assuming you replaced the furling main with another furling sail, and the original was stretched out and baggy, I can see a new sail really changing the balance.
Thought provoking and interesting.

Dan

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Jose, what change of these was responsible for the reduction in rounding up or what is a bit of everything? At first I was having a hard time attributing any change to the prop but then wondered if it could be that the fixed prop was causing enough disruption in front of the rudder to cause it to lose grip?
That was my experience with going from a fixed prop to Flex-o-fold on the Beneteau 37. With the fixed prop the rudder would stall relatively easily with winds in the high teens. After switching to the FOF (with no other changes to the sail plan) the turbulence from the spinning prop was removed and the rudder holds better.

See this comparison of my upwind boat speed -
1614426189995.jpg

Notice how the speed with the fixed prop dropped off at the high wind range, where the rudder would stall and become excessive drag.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I couldn’t tell you whether a folding prop is any better than a fixed freewheeling prop because I have always had a folder. My 323 gets touchy when the wind gets above about 14 mph. Then , If the main sail isn’t reefed, the heel angle gets to the point that the rudder loses its bite because its partially out of the water so the boat starts to round up. Dropping the traveller to spill air out of the sail allows the boat to get back on her feet and regain some traction. When I have experienced crew aboard, they seem to head for the windward rail without me asking to help rebalance the boat.
As others have pointed out, if that sail is baggy, it will tend to comtribute to the heeling and subsequently the tendency to round up. Just by design, the fin keel and spade rudder is going to be less forgiving than a boat with a full keel.