Beneteau 361 vs Hunter 36 Advice Needed

Apr 24, 2016
Hunter 380 Etobicoke Yacht Club
Hello everyone,

I'm not looking to start any kind of flame war about one boat being better then another. Rather I'm asking for advice on what might be a better fit for my family and I with the type of sailing we do...

My wife and I sold our C&C 27 Mk III last year as our two kids. (7 and 9) who are growing like weeds, made us realise that we were rapidly outgrowing our boat. We sail on Lake Ontario and in the upper St. Lawrence river predominantly. Over the past year we have searched, reserched, and viewed many boats of different manufacturers. In the end we have pretty much narrowed it down to the Beneteau Oceanis 361 and Hunter 36, in around the 2004-2007 range respectively. These two boats seem to fit our needs and budget best...My question is, what, if any advantage does one hold over the other. We are cruisers, with no intention to race, but would like a boat that sails decently. However, the cruising comfort and practicality of space efficency matter most. Each summer the 4 of us spend 3 weeks living aboard going to the 1000 Islands. The two boats we are looking at now are similarly priced and equipped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We have chartered several Beneteaus and a Hunter 340, and enjoyed each of them.

I would prefer the Hunter for these reasons:

- I really think the traveler on the arch is brilliant. Optimum sheeting, with a clear cockpit.
- The larger main and smaller jib really is easier to manage, and efficient.
- The cockpit is larger - more room for the family.

Advantage Beneteau:

- Some don't like the swept back spreaders when going downwind.
- I think the cabins have better fit and finish.

They are both good boats. Can you get the family aboard them to try the bunks, and the kitchen?

Good luck on the move !

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I think one big advantage to owning a Hunter is Hunterowners.com, the knowledge base, the easy fast availability of parts, also the Hunter factory website has all the construction SOPs used by the factory to manufacture the boat. As mentioned the arch is great, best place for the traveller, good mount for solar panel etc., the small jib works well.
Friends with a Beneteau waited months for a small part from France.
Both boats sail well. I'm sure a Beneteau owner will post the advantages of those boats.
If you would consider a 2003 Hunter 356, well equipped for cruising (generator, solar, etc.) send me a PM, we are selling our boat.
Bob

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
We've spent 968 days on board our 2003 Hunter 356 since purchase new in March 2003. We spent one 6 month cruise to Florida and can vouch for the 356. For us, we like the comforts and the sailing ability. We also like the economy of operation. We have had minimal problems with the boat since purchase. All have been just normal wear and tear that any boat would have. I will say that compared to the 36, we think the kitchen design especially freezer/refrigeration and location of the trash in the 356 is better than the 36 from our use perspective. We outfitted above normal with a generator, full enclosure, satellite TV and we run our generator full time to keep the interior at our desired temperature. I don't see anything adverse about the Bebeteau 361, we just think our 356 can't be beat. There is adequate water and we supplement our fuel with 5 jerry cans on the rail for cruising. With our generator, we average .65 gallon gph per hour. Without the generator we would be using about .4 gallons per hour.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I use to sell Beneteau and Hunter and both are good companies. A lot will depend on estectics ( cannot spell that one right). Bob keeps his boat up very well so did Jim Seamans with Java which is still for sell. Do not be disturbed if you cannot get in touch with Jim who owns Java, he passed away but was a good source of information on the Hunter but Joan will be back in touch soon. If interested, send me a Private Message but Bob as well for he kept his boat.

Normally I do not try to sell or suggest to sell but in this case I made an exception.

Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 350 Rock hall
We just went thru the same situation
Ended up with Catalina 350
Huge volume a different feel better build quality. It just felt more substantial

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
Never owned a Hunter but I previously has a Catalina and I now have a Beneteau, so I can't directly answer you question. Both Catalina and Beneteau seem pretty comparable build wise. In some aspects Cat is better in some Bene is better. However, I can tell you Beneteau has a great on-line parts department you can order all kinds of original equipment parts just by typing in the part name or by searching on drawings, don't know if Hunter has this. Sometimes matching hard to find parts is important when buying used especially cosmetic parts.

Apr 24, 2016
Thanks to everyone for the great replies! Lots of useful information. We have a deal on a 2004 Beneteau 361 pending a survey and sea trial this weekend. It was a very tough call, as the Hunter 36 we looked at was beautiful and had everything we are looking for on a boat. However, the Beneteau was a bit cheaper, and more importantly, local. It is located only a few miles away from our home yacht club. Transporting it will be a simple sail down the lake. The Hunter was 400 miles away. Hoping all goes well with the survey, and hoping we made the right decision! Thanks to all who weighed in with their opinions!:)

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
Buying local is always good.

I bought my boat 600 miles away still in Florida but the other end of the State. The survey came out fine, however all was not fine as I soon learned. The electrical system had been altered and it was done wrong and frankly was dangerous the way it had been done and the gauge of wire used. I had to have a lot of electrical work done. If the surveyor and previous owner had been local I would have sued one or the other or both. Being so far away made it not cost effective. You should have some effective recorse against your surveyor and vendor, when they a long way away your remedies become more difficult

Apr 24, 2016
*UPDATE*
The survey on the Beneteau Oceanis 361 didn't turn out so well. There were far too many issues for my liking. Nothing massive, but too many minor and moderate ones. I ended up walking away from it. A week later a 2000 Hunter 380 came up for sale at our own yacht club. It was an freshwater boat its entire life, and priced quite nicely. Although it's a bit older and a bit bigger then we were looking for, I was quite impressed with it. I ended up negotiating a deal on it, and it had a much better survey result. I closed the deal and took possession of it last week.
Lots to learning for me coming up, but I hope this boat provides my family and I many good years of cruising the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River.