Beneteau 361 refrigeration problems361,

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
After several weeks of the refrigerator system tripping the breaker occasionally we arrived on the boat to find the fan running with breaker engaged, but nothing cold. After system checks it seems pretty certain that the original compressor has given up so the Admiral authorized replacing the whole system, compressor, thermostat and evaporator plate.
Has anyone else done this? The compressor is easily available but the Bene model evaporator is a "U" shape that fits in the icebox, whereas all I can find through normal trade suppliers is the rectangular box shape. Beneteau can supply the original shape - in 8/9 weeks at the end of September. Any help would be welcome.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Guy beside me bought pre charged plate and compressor. He clamped the plate to table with 2x4 and bent it 90 degrees screwing 4" abs across where he wanted the bend ,then bent it again making a U

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
Does your evaporator look like the attached file?
No, the dimensions across the U shape I have is approx. 13 7/8" for each of the three sides. The rectangular image you show is available from Defender but I am not too sure how well that would work attached to the side of a 15" square ice box.

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
Guy beside me bought pre charged plate and compressor. He clamped the plate to table with 2x4 and bent it 90 degrees screwing 4" abs across where he wanted the bend ,then bent it again making a U
That I would consider doing but I haven't been able to find a source. The Demetic help desk tell me they import the flat panels and bend them to the shapes they sell. If you can me where your guy bought his I would go for that too. Thanks in advance.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I believe the panel was nova cool look under conversion units.it looks like they will also custom bend one for you

Last edited:
May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
I believe the panel was nova cool look under conversion units.it looks like they will also custom bend one for you
Thanks for the info. I will check that out and maybe have a solution.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
John, I had the evaporator that Joker posted installed in my B361. So far on year three and (knock on wood) it is working nicely. I didn't install it myself as I'm not confident in my handy man skills. The installer installed it with the open side pointing up. Mine didn't come with a door for the evaporator, and the installer crafted a "lid" for that little freezer compartment. I'm able to make ice for the G&Ts.

I also replaced the compressor and everything else with a new unit. Everything (beer) stays cold.

Feb 26, 2007
Beneteau 361 Quebec
Hi, I have a Beneteau 361 and I replaced the evaporator. The model is:
Dometic Adler/Barbour VD-152. I had a lot of difficulty finding it.
Finaly after two months I decided to change the system completely for a Frigoboat with a keel cooler because I was going to the Bahamas and even further south.
I still have the evaporator. It Is already shaped for the Beneteau 361 freezer. Send me an e-mail if you want more info.
PS the one from Defender is too small for the 361 freezer.
Georges
20180329_204230.jpg
20180329_204833.jpg
20180329_204230.jpg

TAB58

May 28, 2019
Beneteau 361 Traverse city
My freezer also just stopped. I hear it running but not cold at all. My question is....Where is the compressor located? how best to get at it.

thanks in advance

Jul 5, 2005
Compressor is beneath an access panel on the floor of the "pantry." that's what I call the cabinet to the right of the oven.

TAB58

May 28, 2019
Beneteau 361 Traverse city
awesome, thx. So I only need to stand on my head to get at it...LOL
I'll take a peek this weekend.

Jul 5, 2005
hehe....yeah, you need to have long arms, especially if you're a shorty like me. :)

Sep 23, 2004
- - Stockton Lake
The fridge on our 331 quit last year. The fan would run but the compressor did not come on. I replaced the following part, Secop/Danfoss controller. Part No 101N0212. it cost about $89. It works perfectly now. See pict below. The module was plug and play.

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Search online for 101N0210.pdf, the manual for the electronic module. You can connect an LED which will flash error codes that might tell you what's wrong.

"LED (optional, Fig. 1)
A 10mA light emitting diode (LED) (6) can be con-
nected between the terminals + and D.
In case the electronic unit records an operational
error, the diode will fl ash a number of times. The
number of fl ashes depends on what kind of op-
erational error was recorded. Each fl ash will last
1/4 second. After the actual number of flashes
there will be a delay with no flashes, so that the
sequence for each error recording is repeated
every 4 seconds."

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Defender has a bunch of different plate configurations offered by Isotherm. You may find it easier to purchase a different shape that is rated for the same cubic foot space. I highly recommend not purchasing the Smart Energy Control module it. They also offer "bendable" plates but that seemed a little error prone to me.

Jul 8, 2020
Beneteau 361 Vancouver Fisherman’s Wharf
The fridge on our 331 quit last year. The fan would run but the compressor did not come on. I replaced the following part, Secop/Danfoss controller. Part No 101N0212. it cost about $89. It works perfectly now. See pict below. The module was plug and play.
Hey Mystic51 thanks for the tip here. My B361 compressor stopped running but the fridge fan does so I suspect a similar problem as your ECU solution here. May I ask where you got yours from? I am in Vancouver BC and can’t find locally and only one in Canada is going for a Kings ransom... trying to be on the water by July 17 so need to source and ship fast. Thx forhelp in advance!

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I did the LED lamp check and it was my controller that was bad but I couldn't find a reasonably priced replacement. Even past that, the compressor was 19 years old. The new controllers are 4-pin. The older ones are 3-pin. I elected to change out the compressor, controller and dryer. At a list members suggestion, I bumped the compressor size up one model (same bolt pattern) and bought a dual voltage Secop controller 12VDC and 120VAC.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.... They also offer "bendable" plates but that seemed a little error prone to me.
The only thing I know about fridges came from a friend in New Jersy. He had to replace his when in the Bahamas or such. To get a unit that fit his 323 he had to get a more expensive one than he needed in order to get the cold plate that fit. Back home in NJ, he learned you can cut off the flat part of the plate, just dont cut the tubes that carry the freon or whatever is used nowdays. HIS 2 cents.