Beneteau 305 - NEED HELP!

Dec 6, 2017
Hunter 27 ft 92 North Caroline
Hello everyone,

I'm about to buy my first sailboat. A Beneteau First 305 (1988). Before I go there to see the boat, I want to ask you guys some questions as I'm new to sailboats.

- The bottom looks okay. Needs some cosmetics, but not that bad. So as you can see the photo I uploaded, In the keel area, there is something like a crack. Do you think it is a crack or only the paint ? if it is cracked, is it something that can be easily fixed?

-In the second photo, the propeller looks very dusty. Do you thing I can sail her like that, or should I replace the propeller immediately? I know I will eventually have to do that, but can it wait?

- And she needs new headliners in some areas. Is it something easy to replace/fix?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'll defer to others on the keel imperfections because I haven't seen U shaped cranks like that. For the prop, it's a little hard to tell whether it's pitted from corrosion or just coated with the residue of barnacles. If it is putting it looks to be prevalent enough that the shaft and prop would both be at risk. I'll add that the prop shaft doesn't seem to be centered in the strut, as if the Cutlass bearing is worn, so replacement may be in order depending on if there is play in the shaft or misalignment.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Nothing wrong with prop. Just a little corrosion. Now that keel smile. Is a common problem on sailboats. A little 3m 5200 bottom paint good to go. On a 1988 boat I'd be more worried about sails and the rig. New sails cost upwards $5000. And does the boat have any maintenance records. How old are the wires holding up the mast. And what do the haylards and sheets look like rope. Or cordage gets expensive to replace

Dec 6, 2017
Yes you are right. Sails are very costly. I texted the broker about the sails. Hope they are in good condition. Will ask the rig and the wires as well.

Thanks!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@aliurganci Since you say you are new to sailboats, the question is does the value you are willing to pay need an expert assessment. This can be answered in several ways.
  1. You are very handy with construction, mechanics and boat condition. You can fix most things yourself (plumbing, fiberglass, electrical, engines etc.). The money you are spending is no big deal. You would not worry if you need to sink 2 or more times that value into the boat and feel good. If this is the case then make your best guess and proceed with the buy.
  2. This is a first time experience. The technical stuff is more than I know but with a little help I could fix most things. It would be nice to get someone's knowledgeable opinion. If this is you, then seek out a marine surveyor. For a couple hundred bucks he/she will help you spot the big problems. Since he/she is working for you, will help in giving you a good valuation that you can use to negotiate a fair deal.
  3. You just won the lottery. The boat is a dream. Money can buy all the repairs you may need. By the way you cannot take it with you.
Most new to boat owners fit into one of these categories. I wish you well.

Some boats have cracks on the keel due to hard/soft grounding. Check the keel bolts for damage or corrosion. If the keel is and issue also check the rudder. It may be loose from having banged about during the grounding. Knowing where the boat has been may give you clues. Was the boat recently transported from Puerto Rico or Houston, TX?

Dec 6, 2017
@jssailem I fit into the 2nd category. I will have a surveyor with me. I do not know if the boat recently transported from somewhere. I will find it out.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The prop, shaft and strut aren't that bad... bronze will exhibit a blue/green patina over time... (statue for liberty, for instance.) so you can sand or stiff bristle brush it off if you choose. What's important is to maintain the anti galvanic zincs on a regular basis... Sea creature growth will be much more pronounced and I don't really see a lot.
The keel crack looks like fairing compound/paint originated. If it were horizontal it might be an issue related to the keel/hull joint/seam.... not an unusual problem btw.. but yours looks different.

I would hope you're purchasing the boat contingent on a survey... in which case these two questions could be addressed at the time of inspection.

By the way... you commented that this will be your first sailboat.... yet.. in your profile you list a Hunter 27 ? What's up?

Dec 6, 2017
Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply. When I created an account, I had Hunter 27 in mind, and was about to buy one, and I think it didn't let me create an account when I left it blank.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
"The crack"... are you referring to that u-shaped area? That's unusual.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
That black dot is just a (Lexan?) portlight. My B235 had one. After feeling like I was suffocating in the 1/4 bunk, I put in an opening port. It opened inward. I think it was a Beckson? I highly recommend doing that. The opening one has a raised lip on the outer side, over which I put a plastic piling cone-cap. Cut away some of the bottom of it, and you can leave it open in the rain (but not following seas).

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 30E Atlantic Highlands
Hey Gang.....I'm a new Beneteau 30E owner, and I'm trying to gain knowledge about these fine yachts, and build an understanding of the owners in the US. I believe the 30E and the 305 shares many of the same design elements, primarily the hull. If someone can educate me to that point, I'm all ears. The 305's cabin is "shifted forward" in it's layout, but again has many of the same attributes as the 30E. I created a Beneteau 30E Owners Group on Facebook, and would switch it to the 30E/305 Owners Group if that made sense. I'm all ears. Doug

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
The headliner thing is a nightmare, Bene's of that era had a vinyl liner with some kind of acoustic foam backing. The foam disintegrates over time and the liner sags. Sadly the foam sticks to the hull just fine. Nose around a bit you will find stories of getting the foam off. Flame thrower seems to be the preferred method. If you survive the removal then you glue in something else (hull blanket I think it is called). Sweet boat though.