Below Decks Autopilot Install on 92 C-30

gvsho

Aug 9, 2020
Catalina 30 Mk II Severna Park, MD
Looking for guidance on installing a below decks AP on a 92 C-30 Tall Rig. I inherited a B&G NAC-3 computer and T1 RAM drive unit so since I already have the equipment I'd like to figure this out. Planning on getting an Edson bronze tiller arm to connect from the T1 to the rudder post. Some have said, 'there's not enough room on a C-30', and 'you can't connect to the rudder post since it's contained in a tube." I don't like to give up on these things just based on some comments so I'd appreciate if anyone could offer some encouragement. :)

I'm reading that this is possible but not easy and wanted some guidance from someone that attempted something like this.

Greg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Nothing to add about the autopilot but Welcome to the forum! Going to be interesting to see how the install works out.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
One of the magazines just had an article about installing below deck AP. There were some very good tips in it. It think it was GOB but I'm not sure. Among the complications the author had was a small amount of rudder post available to attach the ram to, Not having a keyway or other means of stopping slipping (He finally used a bolt, I think) and not having a solid flat surface to put the actuater(?) on. He had to build a shelf and glass it to the hull. A bit of an undertaking and if I remember he had to do it twice.
I was on an ocean trip on a T37 last month on which the owner installed a hydraulic AP. It was great. It has been worth the effort for the owner, who did it himself - that's what he does. He also put in his own water maker.

gvsho

Aug 9, 2020
Thanks, guys, for the support. I'm adding some artifacts that give specs on the drive, the bronze tiller arm (Edson) that will connect the actuator of the arm to top of the rudder post, and the rudder. Based on the drawings, I believe I'm dealing with a radial drive steering system with the full wheel. I'm also including some images of a similar setup on a different boat.

Please let me know your thoughts and I welcome any encouragement. I also think this will be well worth the effort once it is complete.

Attachments

Last edited:

gvsho

Aug 9, 2020
Hey shemandr - I found that article you mentioned and it is SUPER helpful! Really outlines, mechanically at least, everything I need to do. Now I just need to inspect and do some measuring to see what I have to work with down there. I'm understanding there's significant differences between the Mark I, II, and III so we'll see if I get lucky. I read that with the Mark IIs they no longer put the 'cap' on the top of the rudder shaft where it comes out of its tube. If true, that's very fortunate since I'll need about 1.75 inches of shaft (insert 'That's what SHE said!' joke here) to attach the tiller arm. Going to go take a look this weekend to see what I've got to work with.

Here's a link to that article..
Autocorrect - Good Old Boat

Thanks for your comment.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
If it helps with your planning I here's a photo of my the radial wheel on my 93 C30. Only about a 1/16" of the rudder post exceeds above the radial wheel and the radial wheel it sits on the top of the fiberglass cone of the shaft tube.

Maybe if you cut the top of the fiberglass dome off and used the tiller arm to support the rudder post?
IMG_4160.jpeg

gvsho

Aug 9, 2020
Thanks, Ward. Good pic. So is that a SEPARATE piece sitting on top of the radial wheel that's fastened around the shaft? Or is it actually part of the wheel casting? If it's just a separate piece that looks like it acts as a 'cap' to the top of the rudder shaft, I don't see why I couldn't just put the Edson tiller arm in its place. Please let me know if you can.