Battery charger

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Charles pulled out of the battery charger market as their products were already antiquated, quite dumb, as "smart chargers" go, pretty unreliable, and way over-priced for what you were getting.

The best deal on a quality marine UL battery charger today are the Sterling ProCharge Ultra battery chargers. They are a lot less money than the (nearly identical) ProMariner ProNautic P (from legitimate ProMariner dealers not gray market or counterfeit sellers) and the Sterling ProCharge Ultra also has a very solid 5 year warranty. For example the ProCharge Ultra comes with the battery temp sensor, 11 pre-sets and a full custom user defined chagre program. It is world voltage which means it could care less about the dock voltage. In comparison to a ProMariner ProNautic P they cost a LOT LESS.

ProMariner ProNautic P 12V 30A = $639.40
Sterling Power ProCharge Ultra 12V 30A = = $323.00 (same basic charger as above designed by a joint venture)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
To avoid confusion: there are two different "ProMariner" chargers in this thread. The older ones are junk and can burn your boat up. The newer ones are identical to the Sterlings that MS mentioned. Same name, different companies. If you read his battery charger link you'll see he mentions both (new ones).

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
If you decide you don’t want to go with the Charles I’ve got a ProMariner ProNautic 1230P that I installed in my boat for a few years before upgrading to the 50 A model. Happy to sell it to you for a good price. Includes the battery temperature sensor. However, ProMariner and Sterling recommend #4 wire for the 30A, @ 30’ round trip. PM me if you’re interested.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thanks, sorry for the late response. We have ordered the Charles but it has not come in yet. We now have other problems with reverse polarity. I will probably start a new thread. i do have a question for you...in the back of the boat near the battery charger in the port lazaret , there is an on/off switch. Does that go to the battery charger?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks, sorry for the late response. We have ordered the Charles but it has not come in yet. We now have other problems with reverse polarity. I will probably start a new thread. i do have a question for you...in the back of the boat near the battery charger in the port lazaret , there is an on/off switch. Does that go to the battery charger?
See the new thread..

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
My husband ordered the one we had so he could plug and play wire for wire.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
i do have a question for you...in the back of the boat near the battery charger in the port lazaret , there is an on/off switch. Does that go to the battery charger?
I have a switch in the starboard aft lazarette that is for the shore power connection. The previous owner removed the old charger and did a great upgrade to the charger, wiring, batteries and smart cord. I'd encourage you to consider upgrading all these area as it will be safer and for my case add value to the boat.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
After reading the manual for the Charles 5000 I have to agree with MaineSail. It’s not a smart charger-only three battery type settings, and a fixed 4 hour absorption period.

Almost any battery charger could be installed as a direct replacement for your old one. However, upgrading your battery wiring would be a very good investment of time and money, and result in a safer charging system. Take a close look at the terminals, any sign of corrosion or looseness?

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. Our charger has been in the boat since 2003. All things eventually fail. This seemed to work for a long time...I take all suggestions seriously and do my research. I’m truly sorry if I have offended anybody.
marilyn

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. Our charger has been in the boat since 2003. All things eventually fail. This seemed to work for a long time...I take all suggestions seriously and do my research. I’m truly sorry if I have offended anybody.
marilyn
I can't imagine why anyone would be offended. Suggestions are made with the best intentions, I think. You are to be commended for wanting to deal with these issues. Please keep posting!

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thank you so much. I’m really just the messenger. I do listen to the forum and their suggestions. If anyone goes back to when we bought the boat, they will see I was very active. I appreciate your post...thank you

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
when we bought the boat, they will see I was very active
Welcome back Marilyn. Nothing I read was in the least offensive. We all have questions. I for one enjoyed reading yours and the answers shared

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thank you. We do still love this boat! After all, she did bring us home during hurricane Irma. There are issues now that need to be addressed. We have tried to find professionals, such as marine electricians with no luck. We are not equipped to retire our boat so we made the choice to replace what was already there . It continues to be a learning curve and I love this forum. This forum brought us through the storm. Craig was wonderful. I do turn to you guys in an attempt to help my husband. I appreciate all of you that take the time to help us out....even Stu.
marilyn

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I can understand the time suck of big projects, seems to always be just a bit off and longer to finish for sure.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We are not getting a Charles charger...we are getting a Victron Energy Batt Chgr, Centaur, 12V, 20A, 3 Bank.