Battery charger

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Hello everyone....it’s been a long time since I’ve been on the forum. We are still loving our boat. We have had a consistent problem with charging the batteries. They will charge when the motor is running but will not charge on shore power. We have checked fuses and they are fine. We have tested the batteries and they test fine. That leaves us with the charger. We have a Charles 20 amp. It appears they no longer make this model. Can you recommend a battery charger that could use the same wiring. We are at a loss at this point. Thanks so much for your help!

marilyn

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Do you know what model charles 20 amp charger you have? Is it a 93-12205SP-A 20 amp 110 volt? If you want to replace it in-kind you might be able to purchase a replacement from the two links below. I not, suggest replacing it with a lower cost, competitive product like Promariner Pro Sport 20 Plus, which is what I installed on my Hunter 386.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Have you checked if there is 110vac on the charger input side?

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We want to use the existing cables... so we need to be able to connect them.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
That charles charger is known to fry batteries (including a battery explosion on my boat). I would recommend you look at the promariner or Sterling ProCharge other than a direct relpacement. There is adequate space back there for just about any 20 amp charger. I chose a true charge 2 (xantrex) 40 amp based on how we use the boat, but as you know, this means you have to pull larger wires. Look here for advice

Installing a Marine Battery Charger - Marine How To

Feb 21, 2013
Emarineinc reportedly sells an in-kind replacement. However, if you want to spend less you can source any number of good quality chargers and even have an electrician install it for less than the difference.

1590447211827.png

Feb 21, 2013
Wow that was fast!! Was it the Charles 2000? Do you need the online manual assuming I can find one?

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Yes it is the Charles 5000 20 amp 12 volt. If you can find the manual that would be great! I just read that someone said these chargers fry batteries...I hope that’s not the case. I appreciate your help.

Feb 21, 2013
I will send you the manual for the 5000 tomorrow. Never had a charger fry batteries but the never had a Charles charger. If you have not had a battery problem with the Charles then I would not worry.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Please do your research. There is lots of information available here. Those original equipment Charles chargers do fry batteries. You need to have a Smart charger that has the ability to select out the correct battery type (Flooded lead acid, lithium, etc.), with sensor for temperature compensation, and has the ability to stage the charge. MaineSail has written extensively on this subject and it behooves you to read it on his Marine how to site. I replaced my Charles 20A piece of junk with a ProMariner 30 Amp one. Your model choice depends on how you will be using your boat. Good luck!!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Just to clarify, you were not trying to use your s.p.'d battery charger at the same time the engine was running/charging?

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
That is correct. We only use the battery charger when hooked up to shore power.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
The ProMariner cooked the batteries on my boat.. Boat was full of hydrogen and the CO alarm was going off when i got to the boat.. Dangerous and expensive day.. luckily the boat didn't explode.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
I guess there is good and bad with everything. We do try and do our research. There was one that just got horrible reviews so we stayed clear. This Charles is the 5000 series so maybe it’s better than the 2000... time will tell.