Battery Charger Stopped Working

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
The battery charger on my 310 is mounted under the rear port seat hatch. And it is difficult to access due to the air conditioner system and all the duct work which is all around the charger.

Thinking about mounting the new charger on the inner side of the hatch in the rear berth that leads to the rear compartment. Very close to the wiring so won't have to do much wiring work. Will be able to check on the charger by opening the door. And it fits.

Probably forgetting to consider something. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

Mar 22, 2009
Found "fried" circuit on the circuit board of the Charles Marine 20 Amp Charger. Ordered new Charles Marine 30 Amp Charger.

Plan on moving the charger from the rear port cockpit locker to the backside of the access door from the rear berth into the stern compartment.

Will have to baby my batteries for another 7-10 days. But it seems to be working.

Cheers,
Jim

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Found "fried" circuit on the circuit board of the Charles Marine 20 Amp Charger. Ordered new Charles Marine 30 Amp Charger.

Plan on moving the charger from the rear port cockpit locker to the backside of the access door from the rear berth into the stern compartment.

Will have to baby my batteries for another 7-10 days. But it seems to be working.

Cheers,
Jim
There are much better chargers out there in terms of how they treat your batteries. I have replaced many of the Charles 2000 Series chargers that came stock on many Catalina's.. If it is not too late to cancel the order I would suggest reading a bit on chargers before plunking down the green...

In the 30A range the ProMariner ProNautic P and the Sterling ProCharge Ultra are about the most sophisticated units out there....

"Unfortunately, many chargers on the market claim to be gel/VRLA
“friendly” or “OK for sealed batteries”, but are not. Some
overcharge the batteries, while others may not fully charge
the batteries. Some chargers claim to be “smart”. Some “smart”
chargers do a good job, others do not.
The best choice of charger
often depends on the application."

Those are not my words that is written by Deka/East Penn one of the largest US battery manufacturers. They are not kidding when they say many chargers "claim" to be smart but are nothing of the sort.

Installing A Marine Battery Charger

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
is there an average life of these good chargers if they are kept dry and installed correctly with the proper wire and fuse sizes

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
is there an average life of these good chargers if they are kept dry and installed correctly with the proper wire and fuse sizes
Depends upon brand and use. Undersized chargers tend to fail earlier than chargers sized a tad larger. I have many switch mode chargers out there past 20 years and others that fail in weeks or months, but often this is brand specific..

The Sterling and Promariner chargers I mention have a 5 year warranty. The Charles 2000 units are 2 year as are the Xantrex ProCharge 2's..

The real question is how do they charge the batteries? Do they have a voltage profile that is adequate for your batteries?

A switch that simply says GEL, AGM or Flooded is most often NOT properly suited to YOUR bank.... One particular charger mentioned in this thread enters float in four hours from the time it is booted on. This is regardless of whether the battery bank has actually been charged or not.:doh::doh: It also lacks on the battery temp compensation. :doh::doh:This is NOT a "smart" charger.....

Take for example the boat I was on a few weeks ago with a "4 hour egg-timer charger". This boat comes back to the dock at sometimes 50% SOC and is then plugged in. It has a 450Ah bank of batteries and a 30A "egg-timer" charger.

Not including charge inefficiencies it takes 7.5 hours to replace 225Ah's at 30 amps of charge current. Sadly this charger would run for four hours, NEVER EVEN ATTAIN ABSORPTION VOLTAGE and go straight into float mode. Batteries NEED to reach and stay in absorption until the high 90% range for healthy recharging!! These batteries were being destroyed....

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
thanks i am looking at the sterling pro charge ultra in a 40 amp ...battery bank is 300-400 amp

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
The inline fuses will need changed if you go to a bigger charger. If you have the same ones I had you will have trouble finding 30 amp fuses for it. You will likely have to make some changes at the batteries for different fuses.

Mar 22, 2009
Good point. Didn't think about that. Will look for bigger fuses.

Thanks,
Jim

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The inline fuses will need changed if you go to a bigger charger. If you have the same ones I had you will have trouble finding 30 amp fuses for it. You will likely have to make some changes at the batteries for different fuses.
Haha. I had that exact problem. Lead to a whole electrical system project that involved going to a large primary bank with a group 24 reserve. Never been happier. We just did a 10 day cruise, didn't touch a dock once and didn't worry about the batteries once. Charge enough on the days where we motored off and on moorings or the hook. (Wife just reminded me we doomed twice for fuel and to pump out and add fresh water but were at the dock for only about 20 minutes each time.)

Mar 22, 2009
I did get the new Charles Marine 30-Amp 3-bank charger. It did call for bigger fuses and bigger gauge wire. So since we had to run bigger wire we relocated charger to the port side under-settee storage compartment right next to the batteries. Two Blue-Seas Systems Maxi Fuse fuse blocks mounted in the battery compartment as well.

Everything seems to be working great.

However, hindsight being 20-20...sure wish I had just gone with the Charles Marine 20-amp charger which is what I had. Could have used the wires & fuses I already had.

But happy now that everything is working.

Cheers,
Jim