Battery charger connections

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Is it acceptable to connect the battery charger hot wire leads to the battery terminals at the "Off -1 -2 -Both" switch to shorten the length of the smaller gage wire or do the leads have to go directly to the battery post with in line fuses? Assume the leads would be fused at the switch connections and the battery cables from the battery to the switch are much larger gage wire reducing the voltage drop over the length from the switch to the battery. I see on Maine Sail's "installing a battery charger" he runs directly to the battery but I'm curious if this is an acceptable alternate practice?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That is exactly how Beneteau wires OEM. Here is a schematic showing the charger connection at battery side of the disconnect. The battery load side fuses. But I believe my new 100A Mastervolt was wired with DC fuses too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
he runs directly to the battery
As Gunni stated and if I have correctly read the Musings of Maine Sail, it is all about getting the proper voltage to the Batteries. Anything you insert in the middle will steal the voltage. You'll be reducing battery life.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
See Nigel Caldwell's book. His diagrams show the charger and battery connecting to the battery side of the switch. Thus, the battery and charger are directly connected.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
to connect the battery charger hot wire leads to the battery terminals at the "Off -1 -2 -Both" switch to shorten the length of the smaller gage wire or do the leads have to go directly to the battery post with in line fuses?
Other end of the very same wire, isn't it? And usually it's a bigger wire.