Request a favor...Beneteau 393 owners

Dec 25, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 393 Norfolk, VA
I recently had a strange incident on my boat. I was cleaning the bilge under my engine battery and disconnected the cables. Unfortunately they came in contact and I burned out two of my battery isolation switches. No fuses blew! I have a feeling the charter company I bought the boat from may have done some creative wiring to "charterer proof" the system.
I have replaced the switches and the boat is back to operational status. I find the electrical schematic difficult to decipher with the other systems added. Would one of you with a 2005 393 take a few photos of your wiring behind the companionway ladder and post them here. I will tackle the wiring next winter when the boat is laid up.
Much thanks, Mike
S/V Blown Away

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Mike, this may help - from a 411. OEM wiring config. The boat electricals were very similar in 2005
upload_2017-4-25_11-30-57.png

Dec 25, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 393 Norfolk, VA
Thanks Gunni, this is the first schematic showing the battery charger. This is helpful. I still have a couple of fuses I haven't yet identified what they are supposed to be protecting. Appreciate the help.
Mike

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Could you explain how these switches work. There are three red switches and one black on the 393 I just had surveyed. There are three D batteries in the port lazzarette and a group 27 in front of the diesel. None of the switches are labeled. I assumed two of the D batteries are combined as a house bank, the group 27 is the reserve/emergency and the third D is dedicated for the windless. Gunni's schematic makes me think I was wrong. It looks like any red with the black engaged will activate one battery.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Attached is page 16 of the 393 manual. It has the switches and the possible combinations depending on the options that came with the boat.

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The group 27 in front of the engine is the engine starter battery. (guess that's what you referred to as reserve/emergency). The starter battery should be red switch 1. I think that you are correct, that two of the D batteries are combined for the house bank on switch 2. And I do believe that Beneteau offered an optional 3rd switch for an additional battery dedicated for the windlass.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...and the possible combinations depending on the options that came with the boat.
Or the boat has been modified, in which case you need to trace cable and label them and make a schematic. Most likely, there is one red switch for each battery, which is what I did when I added a third battery. I did not wired my windlass through a switch, just a circuit breaker/switch.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
On disconnect switch is for house, one is for engine start and you may have a third that was for an AC inverter. All should have a black disconnect which is for your DC ground. The windlass power comes off the house to a 90 amp circuit breaker.

As shown in the diagram, you can add additional "optional" batteries to the house system. It is best practice to have your battery banks together, outside of a hot engine bay, and temperature control charged.