Battery Brands

Jan 10, 2016
Islander Wayfarer 37 Sloop Key West
Jim Hawkins.................are they flooded or AGM and what Ah rating?
The Trojans are 225 Ah, Interstate 220 and I don't know the Duralast
They are flooded which means more maintenance and attention to orientation but they match the depth of my pockets.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We physically capacity test 100's of batteries each year using the industry gold standard 20 hour discharge test. This allows us to accurately see and test which AGM batteries hold up well to cruisng boat (and some RV) use.

The best performing AGM's we see (in order):
#1 Firefly Carbon Foam AGM
#2 Odyssey TPPL AGM
#3 Northstar TPPL AGM
#4 Lifeline AGM
#5 Fullriver
#6 Rolls

The rest of the crop is so far down the list it is not worth mentioning them..

* We do not have enough data on the new Trojan Reliant/Motive AGM batteries to specifically list them as good or bad. So far the four banks we've tested have show two to be not holding up very well (71% @ 14 months & 66% at 13 months) and one bank holding up ok (92% @ 11 months) and one bank doing quite well (96% at 14 months).

I would urge anyone insterested in AGM batteries to read the May & August 2015 issues of Practical Sailor "Fighting Sulfation in AGM Batteries"

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
My boat had 2 group 31s for the house and one group 31 for the starter battery when I bought it. The house batteries were in bad shape so after reading Mainsail's battery page and researching various brands I ended up getting 2x GC2 6 Volt 230 A/Hr batteries for the house and keeping the best of the Group 31s for the starter. I really like the idea of the Firefly AGM batteries but the cost is more than I wanted to get into for now.
I ended up buying store brand (MotorMaster from Canadian Tire) after comparing the A-Hr ratings, weight and costs. They have a 230 A-Hr rating, weigh 64 lbs and cost about 2/3 of Trojan T-105 and they were in stock locally. So far so good but I've only had them for one season. If they last I will likely go with 4 of these when I outfit for longer distance cruising.