Batteries tied together

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Looking for advice on power. I have a 25 foot Hunter sailboat and I want to beef up my power reserve. I replenish my battery by solar drip. Can I tie two batteries together to get more battery life or will the strength of the electricity be too much for my panel, lights... Your response appreciated!

Best,
Mark

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Depends on how you connect them.
If you connect them in “series,” you will sum the voltage of each battery: 12v + 12v = 24v, but leave the amp hours equal to approximately the average of the two batteries.
If you connect them in parallel, you sum the amp hours available and leave the voltage the same: 135 amh + 135 amh = 270 amh at the nominal voltage of the batteries, 12v in this case.
Sounds like you are running a 12v system, but I cannot be sure. The principles apply at any voltage.

I think you want to connect them in parallel by your question, but I cannot be sure. I have two 12v 135amh deep cycle batteries connected in parallel on my boat to run all my electronics. Thus, I have approx. 270 amh at 12v. However, since the batteries can only be drawn near 50%, I really only have 135 amh to use before charging.

You can use different size and voltage batteries in different voltages to fit your space and connect them in series and parallel to meet your voltage and amp hour needs. Calder’s book will show you how to create an amp hour budget to determine your needs.

Look here for some info.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bat...8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=g0W0dxGTPbUaFM:

Also, Nigel Calder’s book, Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual, is a great resource on this.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The short answer is yes. The batteries should be wired in parallel, + to +, - to - maintain the same voltage but increase amp hour capacity. The wires also need to be of sufficient size to carry the current.

You have taken a good first step, by asking the question. There is still some homework you'll need to do. Andrew's suggestion of Nigel Calder's book is a good one, as is Charlie Wing's Book.

On line, check out MarineHowTo.com and Musings with MaineSail here on SBO.

As you do more research, pay attention State of Charge (SOC) and charging rate discussions.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
One thing I'd ask about (and I'd provide advice if I knew the answer) is whether a solar panel with charge controller, or really any charging source, needs anything special to deal with the two batteries in parallel. Particularly if they aren't identical in model and age. If the "intelligence" in any controller used can't distinguish the state of each separate battery, what happens? I think I may have seen some posts in the past where a special controller is sued to balance the two batteries?

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Paralleled batteries should be identical in model and age for best results. Start out with all batteries in the bank fully charged and they'll pretty much stay at the same state-of-charge. Therefore a bank "looks" like a single battery to a solar charge controller. (Or any charge source, really)

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
One thing I'd ask about (and I'd provide advice if I knew the answer) is whether a solar panel with charge controller, or really any charging source, needs anything special to deal with the two batteries in parallel. Particularly if they aren't identical in model and age. If the "intelligence" in any controller used can't distinguish the state of each separate battery, what happens? I think I may have seen some posts in the past where a special controller is sued to balance the two batteries?
As Jeepbluetj said, if the batteries are not identical and new, don't put them in parallel. The weaker battery will deplete the newer and the result will be less power and shorter life span.

Jan 11, 2014
When batteries are in parallel charging sources see them a one big bank. Even with a small solar panel it is important to have a charge controller. Solar panels are nominally 12v but they can put out over 20v which will fry the batteries unless a controller is used to bring the voltage down to a lower level.

HS is correct, if the batteries are not matched by type and age their life spans will be shortened. How much depends on how mismatched they are.

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Does anyone know if two batteries can be tied together for greater reserve or does that double the power strength thereby making it damaging to the end devices, lights, radio... I realize one can install an alternating battery switch however interested in a possible alternative.

Thanks,
Mark

Jan 11, 2014
This topic just came up here: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/tying-together-batteries.189741/

The short answer. If the batteries are wired in parallel then the bank will have the same voltage but more amp hours. If the batteries are wired in series, then the voltage will increase, but the amp hours will remain the same.

Parallel wiring: Same voltage, more amp hours
Series wiring: Increase voltage same amp hours

This is assuming both batteries are identical, the same age, and charge.

The two books on this page are worth adding to your library: BookLibrary Manager | | Maintenance & Repair | Electrical Systems

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Two batteries can be linked together in "series" to double the voltage: two 6V batteries for a 12V system. They can also be linked in "parallel" to double the amperage but keep the voltage the same. Series is joining the positive post of one battery to the negative post of the other one. Parallel is joining the positive posts together end the negative posts together also.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Yes, kind of. As noted, you want the batteries to be of the same age, otherwise the weak battery will deplete the good battery. There is another big issue not previously discussed. As the batteries age, you do have the possibility of a cell going bad and shorting out. This is dangerous, as it can happen abruptly. The result will be a very large bang as the good battery explodes from too much current draw resulting in the battery overheating. I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN. Scared the daylights out of me, as I was only about 10 feet from the battery at the time. I would strongly suggest if you wire two batteries in parallel, you put a breaker between them. Breakers are relatively cheap, and will save you from having two ruined batteries, when one decides to short out. Technically, it is better to use an isolator that is designed for that purpose, as it will prevent one battery from depleting the other one. But worse case, as least put a breaker between them.

The simpler option is to just use two 6 volts in series. More then likely the six volt batteries will be rated for higher capacity than 2 12s in parallel.
Batteries in parallel double the capacity. Batteries in series, double the voltage. So if you have 2 12 volt 100amp/hr in parallel, this gives you 12 volts at 200amp/hr. To match in 6 volts, you would have 2 6 volts 200amp/hr each, adding together to give you 12 volts at 200 amp/hr.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2014
I'm posting this in both threads, as it is precautionary information:
As noted, you want the batteries to be of the same age, otherwise the weak battery will deplete the good battery. There is another big issue not previously discussed. As the batteries age, you do have the possibility of a cell going bad and shorting out. This is dangerous, as it can happen abruptly. The result will be a very large bang as the good battery explodes from too much current draw resulting in the battery overheating. I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN. Scared the daylights out of me, as I was only about 10 feet from the battery at the time. I would strongly suggest if you wire two batteries in parallel, you put a breaker between them. Breakers are relatively cheap, and will save you from having two ruined batteries, when one decides to short out. Technically, it is better to use an isolator that is designed for that purpose, as it will prevent one battery from depleting the other one. But worse case, as least put a breaker between them.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
As the batteries age, you do have the possibility of a cell going bad and shorting out. This is dangerous, as it can happen abruptly.
While the battery can short a cell, it's usually not the kind of short most folks think of. Most internal shorts start out as a slow self discharge of that cell and increase as more shed material builds up. While a chunk of a grid can fracture, and can do so quickly & abruptly even this still does not create a huge current demand. With a shorted cell any sort of battery explosion will take some time as thermal runaway is not instant. Usually it's just one cell and the battery now becomes essentially a 10V battery as opposed to 12V where the shorted cell self discharges itself. First the cell itself has to self discharge then the battery will begin being over-charged.

The result will be a very large bang as the good battery explodes from too much current draw resulting in the battery overheating.
It is not the good battery that will blow up it is the gassing/shorted battery that can potentially blow up. Again, this is only well after the battery has shorted and the shorted cell has been continually overcharged. With a bank simply in-parallel the shorted battery will most often just deplete the entire bank. However if the bank is connected to a charger trying to push teh voltage to 14+V then the shorted battery will continue heating as it is over charged compared to the others. Most internal shorts are noticed because all batteries are being discharged faster and one cell begins overheating and gassing. Most owners notice the smell then the heat. Explosions are extremely rare and I see them just as often, perhaps more often, in single starting batteries because the construction of the grid is cheaper and weaker than a typical deep cycle or AGM or GEL product.

I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN.
Yes it can happen but is extremely rare, and it can also happen to single starting batteries, not just paralleled batteries, especially when they are improperly charged or pushed well beyond their useful life..

Scared the daylights out of me, as I was only about 10 feet from the battery at the time.
This is why proper battery containment is important. Far too many boats out there lacking sound and safe battery containment or compartments as well as using incorrect chargers..

I would strongly suggest if you wire two batteries in parallel, you put a breaker between them.
In order to properly size a breaker to trip into a shorted cell the breaker will routinely trip in a nuisance manner during starting etc.. As I mentioned the explosion takes time to heat the battery and off-gas enough to cause an explosion. There will rarely, if ever, & I have never seen a single case where I could size a breaker to trip, into a shorted battery, without nuisance tripping under typical bank use. I have experimented with this at length..

Breakers are relatively cheap, and will save you from having two ruined batteries, when one decides to short out.
While breakers are cheap they will not protect paralleled batteries from one another in an internal short situation. I don't know where this myth got started but it is simply untrue when based on typical usage of a boats banks. If all you ever pull off the house bank is perhaps 15A then you theoretically could fuse between batteries but most boats have the capability of pulling hundreds of amps. A typical 1kW starter motor for example can pull as much as 450A+ during cranking. Windlass motors can pull over 300A. Thrusters can pull over 700A. Electric winches can pull over 400A. Inverters can pull over 400A.

I have physically tested this theory with actual shorted batteries every time I get one. Even taking a fully charged 400Ah AGM bank and instantaneously paralleling it with a single shorted G-27 battery there is not enough current developed to blow or trip even a 40A ANL fuse. However windlasses, inverters and engine starting can easily place enough demand on that fuse to blow it.

Beyond experimenting with just plain Jane lead acid I ran some experiments for an ABYC committee I am on using LiFePO4 cells/batteries. Even with lithium batteries we could not develop enough current between cells top trip a fuse that was sized to fully handle typical system loads.

Technically, it is better to use an isolator that is designed for that purpose, as it will prevent one battery from depleting the other one. But worse case, as least put a breaker between them.
A house bank that is used as a single large bank should be wired in parallel not through an isolator and it does not need fuses or breakers between each battery as they only that add more voltage drop & connection points but won't serve the desired purpose the way folks far too often assume it will.

If you want to eliminate parallel batteries on your boat then wire large 2V or 6V cells in series. Of course series wired batteries bring with them an entirely new issue and that is one of cell imbalances.

As has been mentioned previously any bank wired in parallel, or series, should be done with batteries of the same brand, model, date code (actual manufacturing date) and age. If you can use an impedance tester to better match the batteries when you buy them, they will last a good long time. Proper bank wiring is also key to long life. Taking the pos & neg off one battery in a parallel bank is a recipe for intra-bank imbalances and shorter bank life.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Interestingly, both batteries were boiling.
If both batteries were boiling then both could have failed at near the same time, or they were both being over-charged by the charger. There are a lot of horse crap chargers out there that can re-boot to another absorption cycle every-time a fridge or other dockside load kicks on and these can over charge batteries and ruin them.

The other option is that one battery shorted internally forcing the charger back to absorption and holding it there. This is why I don't advise large inverter chargers or large chargers be used for unattended "float" charging as they have enough current to feed a short what ever it will pull. A smaller charger in the 10% of Ah capacity range is a safer bet.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Davinet, I think you use an electric trolling motor for aux power. I was wondering if this was involved in a battery blowing up but am not sure since I also "thought - could be wrong" that you had a 24 volt trolling motor - then the batteries would have been in serial not parallel..

Sep 20, 2014
In my motorhome. I believe the battery disconnect was off. Even if it was on, the charger is not a charger, but rather a converter, which is an old design. It does not charge the batteries, but is permanently regulated to 13.3 volts to prevent over charging. (measured w/Fluke 87) The alternator does the charging when you are driving. The converter prevents the batteries from substantial discharging when you are camping. Generally works pretty well, the first set of batteries lasted about 8 years. The set that blew up was on its 4th year.