Bargers at the start and a protest

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Agree, very helpful and I understand what I did now after reading this and remembering our position and his. I'll owe him a apology, even though he dropped out of the race later.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
It's one of my personal favorites. I have no big problem when people break rules when its unavoidable, or sometimes when they don't know the rules. But when someone does to it gain advance or game the system, I pull out that baby.

WYC is pretty hardcore about this as well. Get stupid and you will likely see the PC add a RRS#2 to the protest form, and that makes the DSQ a DND. That will wreck your whole series.
DND?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I think he means DNE. That's probably a typo

SCORING ABBREVIATIONS
These scoring abbreviations shall be used for recording the circumstances described:
DNC Did not start; did not come to the starting area
DNS Did not start (other than DNC and OCS)
OCS Did not start; on the course side of the starting line at her starting signal and failed to start, or broke rule 30.1
ZFP 20% penalty under rule 30.2
UFD Disqualification under rule 30.3
BFD Disqualification under rule 30.4
SCP Scoring Penalty applied
DNF Did not finish
RET Retired
DSQ Disqualification
DNE Disqualification that is not excludable
RDG Redress given
DPI Discretionary penalty imposed

Rule 2 - FAIR SAILING
A boat and her owner shall compete in compliance with recognized principles of sportsmanship and fair play. A boat may be penalized under this rule only if it is clearly established that these principles have been violated. The penalty shall be either disqualification or disqualification that is not excludable.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I think he means DNE. That's probably a typo
SCORING ABBREVIATIONS
These scoring abbreviations shall be used for recording the circumstances described:
DNC Did not start; did not come to the starting area
DNS Did not start (other than DNC and OCS)
OCS Did not start; on the course side of the starting line at her starting signal and failed to start, or broke rule 30.1
ZFP 20% penalty under rule 30.2
UFD Disqualification under rule 30.3
BFD Disqualification under rule 30.4
SCP Scoring Penalty applied
DNF Did not finish
RET Retired
DSQ Disqualification
DNE Disqualification that is not excludable
RDG Redress given
DPI Discretionary penalty imposed
Both are valid. Mean the same thing,

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Like to add my 2 cents... Just so noone gets into trouble... There is one situation in which you could owe room to the barger...
If you have to alter course to squeeze out the barger... Do this while they can still tack away, cool, you defended your rights... But when u alter course you owe them room to keep clear... So if you wait until they can't tack without hitting the RC, then squeezing them is your foul.
Indeed. In fact that was the subject of a protest and appeal to US Sailing. Read more at appeal 117 near the bottom of the page at https://www.ussailing.org/competition/rules-officiating/appeals/

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Like to add my 2 cents... Just so noone gets into trouble... There is one situation in which you could owe room to the barger...
If you have to alter course to squeeze out the barger... Do this while they can still tack away, cool, you defended your rights... But when u alter course you owe them room to keep clear... So if you wait until they can't tack without hitting the RC, then squeezing them is your foul.
There is no "proper course" prior to the start, so the important caveat is putting the other boat into the committee boat or you through course change, causing a collision. So communicate with the barger well ahead when you see the situation rising. "no room for you here"
*edit* interesting appeal case linked above....so defend earlier if that is the space you are working for.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Both are valid. Mean the same thing,
The abbreviations that I listed were straight out of the RRS book. As far as I know, those are the only official entries that are supposed to appear on the score sheet. Is there another reference that I missed? The only DND that I know is a Canadian government agency.

Nov 8, 2010
The committee boat you passed at 0:59, looks like it is flying 2 orange flags. Was that a mid line boat?
No one is orange, the traditional on-station and starting line flag. The other is red and is the class start flag.

Nov 8, 2010
Yep, you have to be talking early to boats. Note I don’t say leeward here at the last moment. I tell then no room while they still have time to act.

Quiz: watch the vid, when read the appeal referenced in post 46. What if I had not said anything?