Barbecue Beefs

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Is there any consensus on what is the best boat barbecue brand? I have tried the two most prominent names, Dickinson and Magma, and both have fallen short. My current model is a Magma, for which I paid a small fortune. I like the way it mounts to the rail but oddly the regulator is not permanently fixed to the main unit and must be stowed separately. (See pic) The regulator detaches from the main unit so easily I feel compelled to secure it to the rail with a piece of cord. Does anyone else HATE this?

Anyway, it's time for a new one so any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, we have a problem with accumulating a bunch of mostly empty portable propane containers that are very hard to legally dispense of. I'm thinking of getting a half size propane bottle and an adaptor so we no longer have to pay a premium for the wasteful little bottles. Has anyone done this? Is it safe? My plan would be to just store the propane bottle in the lazarets

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Hi Doug,
I have gone through the same issues over the years and have had several brands, i.e. in chronological order 2 force 10, 1 Magma, 1 Kuuma and for the last 4 years the smaller of the 2 SeaBQ models by Dickinson. I love the way the SeaBQ is fixed to the railing and can be easily removed. I also like the fact that the grill is in 4 sections and can be removed easily for cleaning. I don't care much for the idea that the finish shows some kind of discoloration to the SS because of the heat but having seen that on most of the ones I've owned I suppose I can live with it because I keep it covered when not in use. I have a small tank which I tie-wrap to the railing and it works perfectly. I keep 1 or 2 of the small portable containers just in case I run out with the main tank but it has not happened. I have had to clean the holes of the burner when the flame started to lessen and to be blown out when windy, but other than that it has worked flawlessy. See Pic of installation.
The only BBQ I've seen that has worked perfectly and remained just as nice as when new is on a friend's boat. It's a smal Napoleon that he paid over 850$ for. Don't think they still make it but for me it's a moot point since I have no intention of ever paying that much for a boat BBQ.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've only had the Magma and they are OK and big enough for the two of us.

My one beef with Magma is the ease with which it can turn upside depositing the innards to the bottom. A long time ago I did use a small tank with a hose which was more convenient than changing bottles, however, it is still necessary to use the regulator.

If you have propane onboard a T can be added to supply the grill. Trident may make the kit. If not, try a generic big box Camping Store or RV Store for the adapters and hoses.

Which ever direction you go, do not store the tank in the lazarett unless it is properly vented. Propane is heavier than air and will collect in the bilge if the tank should ever leak.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I bought a 5' hose SKU 22988 from propanegear.com and use a 5 lbs bottle (they are hard to find and expensive). When I went to fill it along with three 20 lbs tanks from home plus my boats 10 lbs boat tank the technician looks at it funny and didn't know how to charge me so he filled it for free!

I have the Magma grill and have been happy with it.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I gave up on the Magna years ago. Overpriced and operationally poor. Blew-out in a light breeze, hard to light, etc.

I have had a Kuuma for the last 6 years or so. Other than dripping grease it works well. I can fit a couple 1.75# lobsters on it too.

Regarding the 1# propane bottles, I used to refill them but it was difficult and time consuming because they are not designed to be refilled. However, Flame-King makes a 1# bottle that is designed for refilling and it takes just a couple minutes to do the job. They are available at Home Depot and other places for about $15 each. They are the same diameter and just a fraction of an inch taller. I keep three of them in the 4" PVC holder that I designed and made.

Attachments

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We use the Magma kettle now. Have used Force 10 and Dickinson but the kettle is the only one that has never been blown out. We run it on the ships regulator from a 20# tank. We cruise 4 to 5 months every year so it gets lots of use.4FAAC9AF-1621-4B36-80BD-E6667DD9A193.jpeg Chef at work

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
The H340 has space for two 4.25 lb tanks in the portside swim platform lazarette, so I always had one connected to the galley stove and the second as a spare. Then a couple of years ago, I switched from the 1# bottles after purchasing a hose similar to Bob S in post #5, and keep the regulator attached to that. When not in use, the hose coils up in the propane locker.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We have the magma marine kettle series 3 and I have never had a blowout under any circumstances. I did put the low flow regulator on it so that it wouldn't cook quite so hot. I feel the regulator that comes with them is way too hot. We have a sunbrella cover for it that keeps the regulator in place so I don't ever remove that when we're out and about. I have never lost food or any component off of the grill to do tipping our seems nice and stable on the rail.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
asking you NE guys. what is the best size lobster for eating? i just don;t know.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The regulator detaches from the main unit so easily I feel compelled to secure it to the rail with a piece of cord. Does anyone else HATE this?
I screw the regulator to the bottle and then leash the assembly before it gets installed over the briny deep.
Don't hate it particularly; but I understand.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
A cheap kettle with a few charcoal briquettes. Simple, easy, and cheap. Spent briquettes go overboard And leftovers reused. We might barbecue a few times/week on a cruise. I even use charcoal at home. Tired of spending $5-600 every few yrs for a barbecue at home. A large $79.00 Weber charcoal kettle lasts yrs at home. Spent charcoal spread on the gardens..

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Ha! It's funny but I love the fact that the magma regulator just sort of swings with the 1 lb bottle attached. The only way it comes off is if you rotate it to 12 o'clock (something it can't do on it's own). This is what I do (rotate to 12 o'clock) when finished and slide the bottle and regulator off the grill body in one piece.

Then it's simple to leave the regulator on and store the bottle, along with a few refills, in the deck box that is safe for LPG. I've never had this grill blow out in the wind whereas our Force 10 was a problem in any breeze (plus it would roll over the rail!).

Jon, pound and a quarter lobsters seem to be the sweet spot. Perfect size for one.

I think as lobsters get bigger, they don't taste as good. We once cooked a 5 pounder on Christmas (I owned a fish market for bit), and it wasn't good at all. Tough like an old chicken.

Grilled lobster 1.jpg

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
asking you NE guys. what is the best size lobster for eating? i just don;t know.
I think 2 - 2.5 lbs. is the best size - still sweet like the 1.25 pounders but less work than eating three of the small ones :)

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I just never could throw live lobsters into boiling water myself, but I'll eat someone else's cooking. But I have to ask you, Tom, how do you throw that many on a grill without them walking off. Looks like herding cats from here.

Concerning the grill, we have the same Magma. Happy with it and no issues blowing out. I also keep the regulator on the bottle and store it that way. No issues with that. The only thing that worries me is when I initially set the grill up on the rail mount and thread it on. Always worried I'll get the dropsies with the entire grill.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I just never could throw live lobsters into boiling water myself, but I'll eat someone else's cooking. But I have to ask you, Tom, how do you throw that many on a grill without them walking off. Looks like herding cats from here.
If you split the head of the lobster lengthwise with a large knife, the lobster will die quickly and then you throw them in the pot. Sort of like pithing a frog back in HS Biology.

As for size, I typically go for a ~1.5 lbs.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I have a newer version of the Magma Kettle grill, Never blows out.
Your guys got me thinking. Our favorite is steaming shrimp in butter and Old Bay wrapped in foil, then butterfly'd lobster tails followed by steamed little necks. All with some grilled pineapple.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My beef for my Magma grill was that it was hard to control the temp. That regulator is woefully inadequate. With a fresh bottle of propane it would be too hot. As the bottle level lowered you could slow cook - like for ribs. The only solution I found was to cook steaks with a fresh bottle and ribs or chicken with a lower one. We kept the bottles in a Sunbrella carrier my wife made which attached to the rail.
We did have an incident of the arm spinning off. After that she made a Sunbrella cover for the grill which enclosed the regulator.