Baofeng UV-5R VHF/UHF HT

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I would be happier with it if I could field program it. The instructions are inadequate to say the very least.
I would not want to do it from the front keypad ever, but if you have your laptop, and the USB adapter, you could program it anywhere.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Greetings. I'm hoping to revive this dormant thread.

I recently got my Amateur Radio license - Amateur Extra - and almost immediately bought a UV-5R for about $16 on Amazon. Deal of the century!

I ordered a programming cable with the CH340 chip, and installed the driver on my Macbook Air, but it doesn't work. I've ordered a different cable - I'll know tomorrow evening if that works.

I'm just beginning with the hobby and this radio.

I have something to share, though. New radios come with portions of the spectrum covered blocked, i.e., no transmit. The radio can be unlocked, though:

• radio off;
  • hold monitor, PTT, and VFOMR buttons simultaneously;
  • turn the radio on.
You should see "FACTORY" on the display. Now the radio is unlocked.

This is required to transmit on marine VHF frequencies.

Any help on the CH340 and Macbook is appreciated.

Thanks,

jv

p.s. monitoring ch. 16 on this and on my Standard Horizon HX270S - I'm in New Bedford, about 1.1 miles from the harbor. The SH receives more. So, I think I need a better antenna on the UV-5R.

p.p.s. anyone figure out scanning on the UV-5R?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Brian, I just came across this post. I have that same radio. I actually prefer it over my Yasu handheld. I have a larger dual band antenna and a large extended battery. I have about sixty repeaters programmed in (for travel) plus most of the marine. It works very well once set up and programmed. It largely resides in my go bag in the car.