Backstays- split vs single

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Carrier

My Catalina 27 currently has split backstay. I am considering replacing with a single in order to reclaim corners of the cockpit, any comments or suggestions ?

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Personal fears

I've always been a little concerned about split backstays because of the potential failure hazard. Instead of two possible failure points (masthead & transom) you have four (mast head, split, two transoms). I may be a little paranoid though. I've never known anyone who had a failure like that but that doesn't mean it can't happen! Flame away! LaDonna

M

Michael McCann

Backstay

Split backstays can be rigged to be adjustable simpler, and easier than single backstays. Change the tension of the backstay, and therefore the the forestay tension. Tighten the backstay and you tighten the forstay. Ease it and the forestay eases. Tighten going to weather, loosen off the wind. A proper offshore rig would have two backstays from the mast head to the corners. Unless you are real anal about sail trim, it's set it and forget it.

P

patrick e. boole

backstay

i have the split on mine and the ease to adjusting over rides the need for the corners. although i would love to have the stern perch seats. i friend who has a single stay wants to now convert it to a split.

Status
Not open for further replies.