Backstay adjuster

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
Hi again guys
In order to have a better shape, ect on my main i would like to install one backstay adjuster. Now then, for my Bristol 24 I'm incline for a mechanical one. Options /price are the factor. Thx in advance for your advise which is always appropriate it.
C

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The Bristol 24 looks like a masthead rig, correct? If so I wouldn’t expect to be able to shape the main very much with backstay tension. A fractional rig will bend, but masthead rigs don’t move nearly as much. A tensioner can still be used to help take some sag out of the head stay in heavier wind, but effect on the main is less.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The Bristol 24 looks like a masthead rig, correct? If so I wouldn’t expect to be able to shape the main very much with backstay tension. A fractional rig will bend, but masthead rigs don’t move nearly as much. A tensioner can still be used to help take some sag out of the head stay in heavier wind, but effect on the main is less.
boats of this era have masts that resemble telephone poles. Because they don’t bend much the effect on mainsail trim is minimal. However it will addtension to forestay which can affect jib trim and roller furled function.

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
So, what would you recommend as a "tensioner"?

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
boats of this era have masts that resemble telephone poles. Because they don’t bend much the effect on mainsail trim is minimal. However it will addtension to forestay which can affect jib trim and roller furled function.
Thats what im looking for create tension on tbe forestay and eliminate the sag

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes. My mast head rig tensioner adjusts the tension on the Forestay/Furler extrusion.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
So, what would you recommend as a "tensioner"?
The backstay adjuster will still allow you to adjust the tension, and thus the sag, on the headstay and that is worth something. It just will not flatten the main because it will not bend the mast. Lots of folks with masthead rigs have backstay adjusters

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thats what im looking for create tension on tbe forestay and eliminate the sag
There are numerous examples of various systems via google. Ronstan and Harken are two manufacturers that offer pre made rigs, or you can simply build one yourself. The wheel system works fine, and is very precise, but it's time consuming to use... You crank it on by spinning the wheel, and go through the same process to release it. Hydraulic systems need to be pumped on.... the release, however, is as simple as just flicking the relief valve.

You can spend big bucks on the beautiful machinery type adjusters.... or just use a block and tackle with a cam cleat.... 4:1 doubled with a dyneema cascade to 8:1. The example below is what I plan to convert to.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
There are numerous examples of various systems via google. Ronstan and Harken are two manufacturers that offer pre made rigs, or you can simply build one yourself. The wheel system works fine, and is very precise, but it's time consuming to use... You crank it on by spinning the wheel, and go through the same process to release it. Hydraulic systems need to be pumped on.... the release, however, is as simple as just flicking the relief valve.

You can spend big bucks on the beautiful machinery type adjusters.... or just use a block and tackle with a cam cleat.... 4:1 doubled with a dyneema cascade to 8:1. The example below is what I plan to convert to.
A block and tackle system is the natural solution for a boat with a split backstay. But the OP has an older boat with a single backstay and it would be a major pain to attempt to install two new chain plates to try to go to a split, so a device like the Wichard can easily be installed inline by shortening the existing backstay. Seems the only way to do it.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Wichard or block and tackle adjusters are good for a single backstay, but what do you do with a a split that terminates at the masthead rather than a short split that merges into a single backstay.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Wichard or block and tackle adjusters are good for a single backstay, but what do you do with a a split that terminates at the masthead rather than a short split that merges into a single backstay.
FWIW, when I replaced the standing rigging on my P31-2, I had the rigger add a block and tackle adjuster to the split backstay system. He did add ten feet or so to the split, but not a second stay. The backstay adjuster system seems to operate fine.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's a worthwhile addition. If it's a split backstay, I prefer @Joe solution. It's a very good one. If it is a single backstay, the Wichard would be my choice. I used a Johnson split backstay car on my Starwind and did not really like it. There was too much friction and the car would not release until I manually pushed it up.

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa

As a matter of fact from the same corner the ilustration shoes the block and tackle
is where my soon to be change mainsheet block is.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A block and tackle system is the natural solution for a boat with a split backstay. But the OP has an older boat with a single backstay and it would be a major pain to attempt to install two new chain plates to try to go to a split, so a device like the Wichard can easily be installed inline by shortening the existing backstay. Seems the only way to do it.
Works with single backstay also. I'm going to the split backstay system because of transom mods I want to make. Has nothing to do with strength or power. Trust me.... the wheel is a PIA. Either splurge on the pneumatic device, or go with a multi purchase, cascade set up.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
With my split backstay and a 48 foot mast, that triangular block system would end up near the top of the mast resulting in a large investment in extra line. Logic says that the obvious approach would be to convert to a single from a split a few feet above the deck. If I wanted to double up on hardware I could convert to running backstays…
Oh well, I don’r race any more anyway, so best choice is find a happy medium, and forget the whole idea.

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
I opted for the Wichard model
View attachment 197354

Works fine. Easy to adjust.
Hi again...
I just got the wichard adjuster today on the mail now how to work from 1/2 inch schackle to a smaller diameter cable like on my Bristol 24?
C

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Let’s get you sailing soon. Photo of your deck stern chainplate and the terminal end of your back stay would be helpful.

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
Let’s get you sailing soon. Photo of your deck stern chainplate and the terminal end of your back stay would be helpful.
Hi again
I got a trip to Fl to check on the boat at the storage place, retrieve the wire and take a photo of the deck stern chainplate to be then posted. Thx for helping