Backing an Ericson 35 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
On my previous boat I used the 'prop wash' effect greatly to my advantage and could spin the boat on her axis without any difficulty. So when I got this new boat and found that I could no longer depend on that it was like I was starting all over again in the learning curve. I have since pulled the old Atomic 4 gas and it's inherent clutch problems and am awaiting the arrival of my new Beta Marine diesel. I may have to reprop with a larger prop so that may help create the effect you and I both deem desirable. I am attaching a photo of my boat to give you an idea of some of the design issues that I am contending with. The prop is angled downward and at such a distance forward that the prop wash in effect almost misses the rudder. Secondly, the prop shaft is angled and does not go directly amidship but angles about 10 or so degrees from center. However, I do agree, that with practice, I will get much better at slow speed handling but with the current configuration, I'm sure I will never get the same handling that I had before.

David

PS I tried to attach a couple of photos to illustrate my point but couldn't figure out how to do that.
you are going beta?? wow mine has a yanmar 2 qm20h. i love it . 20 hp and works great. thing is--i think no one bothered to change out prop when engine was installed years ago. mine pulls so hard to left on reversing, and pulls to 2:00 when motoring-- lol--is all good---she is an awesome sailing boat. kinda makes up for the reverse glitch. but i realllly LOOOVE spinning her--LOL

as far as a lag between gears---i am able to get mine going forward easily from reverse-- but i give a bit of a throttle goosing as i go. is how i learned and perfected the spinning on my keel -- to exit small tight places easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.