Backing a Hunter 26 into its slip

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 26 1001 Rocky Fork
I often take friends out on my Hunter 26. Everyone complains about how hard it is to climb off the dock and over the high side. I have two disabled friends that are not be able to climb over that side at all.

I have backed into the dock before but then it was pointed out that if I leave my boat tied up that way wake can cause the engine to bang against the dock and damage it or the rudder. untying the boat taking it out turning it around and backing in every time I want to let people on the boat is pretty cumbersome and time consuming.

I have tried finding some kind of fenders or bumpers I can put around the engine but the only solution was stupidly expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Spring lines.

This is a finger dock, I take it. What's the tidal range? (Pictures are a big help here). A stern gang plank could serve to hold her off the dock, as well.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
A forward spring line will hold her off the dock. That’s a dock line running forward from a midship or stern cleat to a post or cleat toward the end of the finger dock (or a piling at the entrance to the slip).

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
My boat at the dock next to the launch ramp. My permanent slip is the same size and configuration

IMG_20200516_154639.jpg

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
this is our boat but at the Docks right next to launch ramp. our dock is the same size and the pic shows the size correctly

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Floating dock? Perfect. Use spring lines and tie her fowards to keep the motor off the dock. Very easy. With a floating dock, there is no tidal considerations, tie her tight in her slip.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a hunter 26 and always dock transom first.
In the pic, you can see the spring line running from the transom cleat forward to the forward cleat on the pier. Adjust your spring lines so the O.B. and rudder cannot reach the back of the slip. When I have guests, I tie a line from the stern pulpit to the cleat on the dock and then pull the port corner of the transom all the way to the pier. With the swim ladder down, that makes for an easy step onto the boat.
Here is a pic.
IMG_1675.JPG

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
My Song, in your picture, I see a couple of issues. As others have suggested, spring lines are necessary, whether bow in or stern in, I don't see one on your boat. And I notice that you have a short dock for the size of your boat. Your bow is almost touching and almost 1/3 of the boat (including motor and rudder) is beyond the dock. I will assume that longer docks are not available, but if you are stern in, about 1/3 of your boat will be in the slipway.....not an ideal situation.
On rgrangers picture, I see there is a walk through transom, you will probably need a sturdy gang plank arrangement to use it, the stern of the boat will be too far from the dock.
A better solution may be bow in, with a good set of steps on the finger dock.

Cheers
dj

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
My Song, in your picture, I see a couple of issues. As others have suggested, spring lines are necessary, whether bow in or stern in, I don't see one on your boat. And I notice that you have a short dock for the size of your boat. Your bow is almost touching and almost 1/3 of the boat (including motor and rudder) is beyond the dock. I will assume that longer docks are not available, but if you are stern in, about 1/3 of your boat will be in the slipway.....not an ideal situation.
On rgrangers picture, I see there is a walk through transom, you will probably need a sturdy gang plank arrangement to use it, the stern of the boat will be too far from the dock.
A better solution may be bow in, with a good set of steps on the finger dock.

Cheers
dj
that picture is when we were launching. as I mentioned those are the courtesy docks next to the launch ramp and we didn't even have our sails on yet.

we do use spring lines anytime we're going to be docked for very long

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
It depends on your dock configuration. Do you have fixed supports at both sides that you can tie spring lines to allow for tidal changes while preventing the boat from moving back at high tide?
no our slips are single-sided. so there are two cleats on the side and one cleat on the main part of the dock

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
no our slips are single-sided. so there are two cleats on the side and one cleat on the main part of the dock
Ok, from the picture it looks like you could share cleats with your neighbor on the other side. Well is not that important since you are in a floating dock. just tie a spring line from the stern cleat of your boat to the front cleat of the finger pier. This should be adjusted to prevent the boat from being able to move back enough to hit the dock. Then tie and tighten regular dock lines to the front and back cleats. You will be sharing the spring line and dock line at the front (bow) cleat. Yes the spring line will become a permanent docking line so it is best to use the loop to the boat and leave it permanently tied to the cleat at the correct length. This is to avoid having to adjust the line every time you go out and come in, just pick it up from the dock and slip the loop on the cleat. Some cleats allow for the loop to slip under the center and over the horns and others you may have to twist and double up on the loop. Now backing up the boat is another story, do it slow, allow for drift and do not be afraid to drop off a crew member and hand him a line so he can pull you back.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
In order to have my lines adjusted the same way every time I tie up, I mark them all with permanent marker indicating where to wrap them around a cleat, or pass over the toe rail, ETC.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
So find a set of steps something like you would use for a hot tub or the same. We had a similar configuration with our Hunter 28 and it was difficult to back into the slips due to the large overhang from the end of the fingers. Use the steps and people can easily step onto the boat and then along the deck to the cockpit. Otherwise, the suggestions on the use of a spring line are the best to keep your motor from hitting the dock.

Fair winds.

Jul 12, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Chicago
How do you back the boat in reverse? Do you steer with outboard or with the tiller?
maybe I just need to practice..

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
How do you back the boat in reverse? Do you steer with outboard or with the tiller?
maybe I just need to practice..
I try to use the rudder but sometimes I’ve needed the OB to swing the aft in a cross wind.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My preference is for starting with OB, especially for reverse, because a turn can be executed from a dead stop.

-Will (Dragonfly)

• Helpful
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
Install a Plastimo fender (part #P65690) bolted to the dock OR hang a regular say 10" x 30" fender over the dock with a rope tied to each end (or through each end) with the lines secured to each side of the dock. I also have the Plastimo fenders on the side of each finger and the latter at the end of each dock to avoid touching the dock while leaving and backing in.

1595426153825.png