Back on the water again...after too long off..

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Too bad about the tacking, would a second pin closer to the rudder post fit your set-up? Been a few years since I was on a tiller, just remember leaning on the rudder post and moving the tiller with my elbow. It took a bit more effort but the tiller swung to the stop when tacking.

All U Get

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Too bad about the tacking, would a second pin closer to the rudder post fit your set-up? ...All U Get
That would help in that then the rudder would travel further but would also put more strain on the tiller-pilot as the rudder would have more leverage on it. I might call raymarine when I get back in the states and see what they think. I do have the 2000 which is rated for boats a little larger than mine so that might work.

Now that I know I just need to manually throw it over like what you described it isn't a problem as the boat doesn't stall anymore,

Sumner

==============================

2015 to The Bahamas and back -- I hope

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I had the simrad (tp10) AP and mounted it much closer to the pivot point of the rudder (gudgeon's), & never had a problem with power.

mostly I wanted it on the same side as the engine tiller controls.

not sure that mount is possible on the S version.

What I would recommend is putting shims under the jib cam cleats.

raising them up, allows locking easier, and poping the sheet with a flick of the wrist. I never tried the auto tack function. I'd just lift the ap off, and helms over, release jib, and bring it in on other side. (not touching main sheet).

pretty sure harken makes them in teak to fit... (see below)
http://s64.photobucket.com/user/ftldiver2/media/MACGREGOR/P1010235.jpg.html?sort=3&o=55

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
..What I would recommend is putting shims under the jib cam cleats. ..http://s64.photobucket.com/user/ftldiver2/media/MACGREGOR/P1010235.jpg.html?sort=3&o=55
Yes that would be a good idea, how they are now is not ideal for the reason you stated and I'll check with Raymarine about moving the pin further towards the (gudgeon -- knew it must have a name :redface:), and yes using the auto-tack isn't critical for sure,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sitting here waiting on weather at Fox Town on Little Abaco has given me a chance to work on the trip blog on my site and finish some more pages there. I thought I'd put up a few teaser photos from the blog in case you aren't following that and only this but if you like the pictures there are a lot more there and a lot of other info, probably too much

So I think the last ones I posted going north from Georgetown were the mermaid/piano at Rudder Cut so working north of there...

One of the structures on Moosha Cay which is next to Rudder and also owned by David Copperfield and where people stay.

Little Harbor at Little Farmer Cay.

Ocean Cabin restaurant at Little Farmer Cay

link to Little Farmer...

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015 Bahamas/2-Bahamas-2/Bahamas-Page-16.html

One of a couple supply ships that came in at Little Harbor and anchored off and people went to it in their boats.

North shore of Little Farmer by airstrip and ....

.... a sunset there.

Link to Little Farmer stay waiting on weather....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%20Ba ... ge-17.html

A boat on the beach
on the way to Black Point. The whole area had been hit with a squall with 45-55 kt winds a couple days before and not sure if that was what caused this or not? I don't remember seeing it on my way south earlier.

Town dock at Black Point. One of the few places it is convenient to get water and dispose of trash.

Laundry at Black Point with its own dinghy dock.

Link to Black Point....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%20Ba ... ge-18.html

One of two reefs that are easy to swim on at Fowl Cay. The one above is right at the entrance to one of the two grotto's there that you can..

... swim into.

This was a great stop.

Link to Fowl...

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015 Bahamas/2-Bahamas-3/Bahamas-Page-19.html

More later or go to the trip index and see many more pictures of the above places and later dates...

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015 Bahamas/Bahama Trip Index.html

Sumner

========================================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I'm hoping to go out tomorrow or Saturday. I also have the 2000. I'll see how it works.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Got into West End about 1 1/2 hours ago (7 pm now). Was able to sail all the way here (103 miles) except the first mile leaving from Fox Town (chickened out with all the little rock islands there) and the 1/2 mile into the very exposed anchorage here but thankfully wind is down. I'll go to bed in a minute and up after 1 am and off for Port St. Lucie. I'd like to get there just after slack at the beginning of flood tide between 4-5 pm tomorrow. I'll sail as much as possible but need to be on that time table so I'm sure I'll be running the outboard some.

I've gotten kind of anal now about sailing. Low winds today running so 10 hours to here and just a little over 20 miles today. It was at least peaceful running like that.

Sumner

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Totally getting your message. Sailing IS the point of all this....

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Got in last night, Port St. Lucie north of Miami, about 8:30 after leaving at 1 in the morning. Long 18 hour day and 6 miles out of here my rudder bracket broke and had to get towed in here. It could of happened earlier in the day and I might then of been floating on the Gulf Stream towards England. Not exactly how I envisioned going there. Just kidding if it would of broke out there I still could of gotten to help with the radio and gotten towed in but that would of been a long slow tow and for sure I was glad it didn't happen in the Bahamas. I'll repair it when I get home and make it better than factory. I think I jinxed myself as earlier in the day I wrote that I wouldn't make this trip without a second rudder aboard but as it was the rudder is fine just not useable at the moment as it is on 1/2 the bracket that attaches to the post and bent up at 60 deg. and at the water line.

I was thinking of coming in the last bit with the outboard for steering but the boat clocked around with the port side to the wind and substantial waves and the dingy was trapped on that side with the lines wrapped around the rudder and outboard. I tried for about 30 minutes to get all that mess straightened out but lost the boat hook in that ordeal, almost went overboard and finally said "I've paid for tow insurance for 6 years so why not use it" and called TowBoat U.S.. Captain Scott was there in 30 minutes and in all of this time I had floated in about a mile towards shore. He hooked on and I found out that it is hard to tow a sailboat that doesn't have a functioning rudder. I tried to help a bit with the outboard as once he got there I got the dinghy straightened out and the rudder tied up out of the way and the outboard down. I was putting too much pressure on the outboard tiller trying to help so abandoned that and he got me into Manatee Pocket just past the ICW and I'm on anchor here until tomorrow.

Scott, my friend at the boat yard, is going to come over tomorrow with the Suburban and the trailer and I'll use the outboard to motor down about 1/2 mile to a public boat ramp and meet him there.

Then back to the yard and get things ready to head back to Utah, so the ICW going north is going to have to wait. I have a followup dr. appointment on the 15 to check out the pacemaker and will see if I can get that moved up otherwise head west on the 16th probably sleeping in the boat on the 2200 mile 4 day trip home.

So the trip didn't exactly end how I had planned it but other than that is was a great trip and will remember all of that and put the last couple hours in another compartment. Anyone planning a trip like this with a small boat needs to remember we are pushing them past the limits they were designed for and consider the possible consequences both to the boat and ourselves. I'd hate to know that this trip encouraged someone else to make a similar one and they weren't prepared for the potential danger inherit to it. I realized that going in and accepted it.

I'll continue the trip blog with pictures and such on my web site as time permits and will come back and post when there are updates to it here.

Sumner

P.S. All told the trip from the boatyard on Florida's west coast to the Bahamas and back was 1294 miles and just 4 days short of 3 months and between Black Point in the Exumas to West End (Grand Bahama) was 403 miles and I sailed all of that except for about 10 miles either motoring or motor-sailing and sailed about another 100+ miles before that stretch so feel real good about that.

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
"...I've paid for tow insurance for 6 years so why not use it..."

;)

Mar 22, 2015
piver nimble Tampa, Fl.
awesome trip and blog Sunmer. glad you took the time to post your travel info for us to read. I also broke one of my rudder gudgeons while in the bahamas but mine chose to break in the middle of the northwest providence channel surrounded by large ships and large seas. a very dangerous situation. balanced the sails and limped on my own into the berrys and fabricated the repair but soon added a third gudgeon and never had an issue with that again.
thanks again Sumner. have a great summer...chuck

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
It's been fun reading about your trip, Sumner. Thanks for bringing us along.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sounds like you're ready for some "recreational" sailing, Sum. After a bit of rest, of course.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Then back to the yard and get things ready to head back to Utah, so the ICW going north is going to have to wait. I have a followup dr. appointment on the 15 to check out the pacemaker and will see if I can get that moved up otherwise head west on the 16th probably sleeping in the boat on the 2200 mile 4 day trip home.

Sumner

P.S. All told the trip from the boatyard on Florida's west coast to the Bahamas and back was 1294 miles and just 4 days short of 3 months and between Black Point in the Exumas to West End (Grand Bahama) was 403 miles and I sailed all of that except for about 10 miles either motoring or motor-sailing and sailed about another 100+ miles before that stretch so feel real good about that.

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

glad to see you back safe and sound.......on the way home stop at a good motel and get a good nights sleep.... we getting too old for this stuff none stop