Back on the water again...after too long off..

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Back on the water again, finally.......off to the Bahamas

I finally got in the water again with the Mac. I've been living on the Endeavour for 2 months in Florida and finishing up work on the Mac that I did last fall and early winter.

I started posting on one of the Mac boards but thought I'd copy and paste those posts here also if that is ok with the admin. So here are the last couple days.

========= Post One Sunday 03-08-15 =============

I finally finished all of the work on the Mac and have her loaded with about 2 months of food and gas and water and the yard here where I have the Endeavour is going to lift the boat off the trailer and in the water tomorrow if things go the way they are suppose to.

I'll spend a couple days around Charlotte Harbor (west coast of Florida) and then if everything seems good I'll head south and over to the Keys and up to lower Biscayne Bay fairly quickly and then try and get my nerve up to cross over to Bimini and then try and go further east with hopefully the Exumas as a destination trying to follow some of Mike and Sandy's (Chinook's) route. Don't have to be back until the first of June so it will just be a day by day deal with no 'for sure' plans.

I'll try to post here when I can,

Sumner

====== Post 2 Monday 03-09-15 to Wed 03-11-15 =========

I got in the water Monday morning and left the yard about 1 and went about 3 miles to the small lake on the canal system on the way out to the bay and anchored for the night. The night before I woke up at 2:30 with a really bad sore throat and by morning is was a full blown cold, I think the first in about 6 years. I felt terrible but decide to let them put me in and the reason for not going far. Still suffering from it but it hasn't gotten worst. Yesterday I put in about 35 miles down to Placida which is only about 7 miles from the yard by land. A friend from the yard, Scott and his dog, came down today and we went out.

No wind at first but then it went up to 12-15 and we sailed a total of about 25 miles on long tacks on Charlotte Harbor and almost all the way back to Placida. The best sail I ever had with the boat running a little over 6 mph for a lot of that and that is towing the dinghy and the boat is loaded very heavy sitting about 2-3 inches deeper in the water than stock. I learned some things from Scott so that was good.

Scott left his phone on the boat so in the morning I'll run the boat over to the shore so he can get it and then head about 10 miles south to Pelican Bay and maybe stay there a day or two until hopefully I feel better and have more energy. Then I'll start south.

The added solar has worked great and I ran the trolling motor on the small lake the first night but only for a few minutes as I felt so bad. In that short test it looked like the 360 watts of panels could keep up with the motor running about 2 mph but the sun conditions and such were not constant and I didn't run long enough to come to any conclusions. 2 mph was about 25% throttle if I remember right, but hope to get more data over the next month or so. The trolling motor had no problem pushing the Mac faster than 2 mph but I didn't test for top speed yet.

The added 360 watts of solar though with 120 watts of it...

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/mac-outside/Trolling-Motor/page-1.html

.... switchable between the house bank and the trolling motor bank has been added insurance that I shouldn't have to run the 12 volt gen-set although I did start it about a week ago just to make sure it still ran ok. I can also switch the trolling motor bank to the house loads if needed with two switches that then divides the 24 volt bank into 2 additional 12 volt batteries but haven't needed that as the house bank is keeping up fine with the fridge, computer and CPAP machine and tops off each day so far and hasn't gone below 65% or so.

So if I can just kick the worst part of this cold life will be good but I kind of forgot how much work went into doing this on a day to day schedule,

Sumner

=========== Post 3 Thursday 03-12-15 ============

Had a great day today, feeling much better the cold medicine is sure helping. Scott forgot his phone in the boat so first thing I had to take the Mac back into the restaurant dock at 9:30 and give it to him. I didn't look forward to that as I almost had an incident there the day before dropping him and his dog off. Went in for a port tie so flipped the outboard solar panel on that side over onto the center panels. That worked fine but getting off the dock wasn't so good. Backed out a ways and then went forward and almost caught the starboard side panel on a piling like I did at Marco Island some years ago. So when I went in this morning I flipped them both over as it takes less than a minute to do it and then didn't have any problems at all. I'll still play it safe in the future. I mounted all the panels now so they are inboard of the rub-rail except for the two outer ones that I can drop down or flip over.

I know there was some concern about the panels putting more weight up high. The new 360 watts of panels and framework is about 150 lbs. and the old 200 watts is probably 100. I can tell no difference and yesterday sailing we had the boat heeled better than 20 degrees and it was rock solid sailed like that with a full main and the 135 genoa all the way out. Scott also agreed that the panels were not hurting a thing, especially for a cruiser which is all I'm interested in. He has had a number of boats and has a 37 footer in the yard and was impressed with the Mac.

I've really enjoyed the shade the panels are giving and so far see no negative with the mod. My batteries are much happier and aren't going under 60-65% charge. I am running two Trojan 6 volt batteries in series for the house band and have the trolling motor bank of two 12 volt batteries also that can be tied to the house bank but haven't needed to do that.

After dropping Scott's phone off I was going to go to Pelican Bay (about 10 miles) to rest up. I was able to motor sail almost all the way there with the outboard just off idle and only the Genoa out. I didn't want to try and run the main as I was doing this in the ICW channel with some traffic. About Pelican Bay the wind had shifted more to the south and the sailing was done but I felt so much better that I just kept going and going. Ran down the ICW at about 5 mph and went out into the Gulf under the Sanibel Bridge. I was going to try anchoring not too far from it but the wind still had waves running in from the Gulf so dropped that Idea and went a little further going in at Ft. Myers Beach and I'm just inside the inlet where Ruth and I anchored on our trip here.

So since Monday, also counting the day of sailing, I have 105 miles under the keel at this point, with today's run being almost 45 miles. I plan on getting up early and getting out into the Gulf and head 35-40 miles on down to Marco Island off-shore. Winds are suppose to be 10-12 out of the east and then switching to south with 2 foot seas. If that holds I should be able to sail until they swing around to the south.

If all of that happens I'll try and post there. On a side note I'm posting this tonight using the long distance WiFi on board....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-navigation/Compter-Nav-index.html

...and have a great connection and using the computer I built some years back. Last night lots of connections but none open so used the trackphone hotspot I bought,

Sumner

=========================================

That brings things up to date and I'll post more as more happens,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Sorry about the cold. Good going. I just have one question, if you are going to the Bahamas why the Mac instead of the Endeavor?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sum, great reports, very glad to see them here, you're one of our regulars, keep us posted, please.

Man, for a sick guy you're doing pretty well. When you get better you're probably just gonna hang out in one place for two days! :)

Have fun, hope you start feeling better.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We were in Pelican 3/8-3/11. Best weather in a long time.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sorry about the cold. Good going. I just have one question, if you are going to the Bahamas why the Mac instead of the Endeavor?
The Endeavour still needs at least a month's worth of work to get her back in the water. 3-4 jobs that are about 80-90% done. I could of finished them instead of working on the Mac but I just don't feel confident trying to handle that boat by myself at this point, especially getting on and off anchor. Maybe later but not now as my only experience with her was moving her 70 miles on the diesel with a little motor sailing. The plan is to come back in Oct. and finish the work and then decide what to do with her,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
============= Friday 03-13-15 ==============

Chinook wrote:Hi Sum,

Glad things are going well. You've got some great water ahead. If you're interested in seeing gators, we made a dinghy run up the Broad River when we were down there, and saw lots of them along the banks. Also, nice anchorage at Pavilion Key, near the east end if I recall. Further west you have drying mud at low tide. Great shelling there also. Be careful if you run up to Everglades City. The current runs strong there, and you have lots of air boats to dodge. Good anchorage at Little Shark River, which most cruising boats passing that area tend to use.

Best regards, Mike
Thanks for the tip on the Broad River, I'll look at that but want to spend at least one day at White Horse Key....

.... north of Everglades City in the 10,000 Islands. We were only there one day on the other trip and I swore I was going to come back and spend a day reading a book there on the beach so that is on the plans. When I thought I was going to get in a couple weeks earlier I wanted to spend more time in the 10,000 Islands and Everglades area but being late I need to work to the east coast about as fast as possible.

I know about those currents going into Everglades City, almost hit a marker in the channel at one of the turns. We also spent the night at Little Shark and I'll do the same before jumping over to the Keys. Lots and lots of mosquitoes there. The only time I ever used my hat with the net on it and I have it aboard again.

Looks like I'm going to sit the day out here at Ft. Myers Beach as they just upped the winds to 15 to 20 knots between here and Marco with 2-3 foot seas and some small craft warnings. The winds were suppose to be around 12 from the east but now are predicted to be SSE so it would be all motoring into them. I could use the day to reorganize the boat and map out on paper better where things are in it. The whole rear berth is full
. I label all the containers but need to map the containers on paper.

I can also plot the next 5 steps of the trip out so I have all those waypoints saved and can just pull them up and a day of just resting would probably do me good. I tend to plod ahead sometimes when I shouldn't of so this is also a lesson in patience for me so when I get to the east coast I'm patient about crossing the Gulf Stream.

BOAT wrote:My uncle has a house on the water at Marco Island but I don't think he has a dock. I'm gonna call him to see if he has a dock.
Thanks for looking into that buy I have an easy place to anchor there and that is easier for me to do vs. tying up and dealing with the lines to handle the tides and such. Where I anchor it is also just a...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/FL-spring-2011/FL-Spring-11-7.html

... short distance over to the fuel dock and this time I'll go there with the dinghy vs. the Mac
. I appreciate the effort though,

Sumner

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Great to hear, looks a lot warmer than here in the Northeast.

All U Get

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Nice to hear you are out there again!

Jack Daniels and New turkey key are also good anchorages.
new turkey being the better of the 2 because you have a beach to land, plus the outhouse.

not so sure about pavilion key... on the east/north side it dries about 300yds from beach on low tides... but maybe the west side would be good for a East wind protection.

When you get to the east coast /miami/fll give me a shout.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Nice to hear you are out there again! ..
Got your PM and thanks for the good info. I tried to respond by your mailboxes on here are now full. Let me know when you free up space and I'll send you the PM I had for you,

Sumner

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I finally got in the water again with the Mac. I've been living on the Endeavour for 2 months in Florida and finishing up work on the Mac that I did last fall and early winter. I started posting on one of the Mac boards but thought I'd copy and paste those posts here also if that is ok with the admin. So here are the last couple days. ================== Post One =================== I finally finished all of the work on the Mac and have her loaded with about 2 months of food and gas and water and the yard here where I have the Endeavour is going to lift the boat off the trailer and in the water tomorrow if things go the way they are suppose to. I'll spend a couple days around Charlotte Harbor (west coast of Florida) and then if everything seems good I'll head south and over to the Keys and up to lower Biscayne Bay fairly quickly and then try and get my nerve up to cross over to Bimini and then try and go further east with hopefully the Exumas as a destination trying to follow some of Mike and Sandy's (Chinook's) route. Don't have to be back until the first of June so it will just be a day by day deal with no 'for sure' plans. I'll try to post here when I can, Sumner ================ Post 2 =================== I got in the water Monday morning and left the yard about 1 and went about 3 miles to the small lake on the canal system on the way out to the bay and anchored for the night. The night before I woke up at 2:30 with a really bad sore throat and by morning is was a full blown cold, I think the first in about 6 years. I felt terrible but decide to let them put me in and the reason for not going far. Still suffering from it but it hasn't gotten worst. Yesterday I put in about 35 miles down to Placida which is only about 7 miles from the yard by land. A friend from the yard, Scott and his dog, came down today and we went out. No wind at first but then it went up to 12-15 and we sailed a total of about 25 miles on long tacks on Charlotte Harbor and almost all the way back to Placida. The best sail I ever had with the boat running a little over 6 mph for a lot of that and that is towing the dinghy and the boat is loaded very heavy sitting about 2-3 inches deeper in the water than stock. I learned some things from Scott so that was good. Scott left his phone on the boat so in the morning I'll run the boat over to the shore so he can get it and then head about 10 miles south to Pelican Bay and maybe stay there a day or two until hopefully I feel better and have more energy. Then I'll start south. The added solar has worked great and I ran the trolling motor on the small lake the first night but only for a few minutes as I felt so bad. In that short test it looked like the 360 watts of panels could keep up with the motor running about 2 mph but the sun conditions and such were not constant and I didn't run long enough to come to any conclusions. 2 mph was about 25% throttle if I remember right, but hope to get more data over the next month or so. The trolling motor had no problem pushing the Mac faster than 2 mph but I didn't test for top speed yet. The added 360 watts of solar though with 120 watts of it... http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/mac-outside/Trolling-Motor/page-1.html .... switchable between the house bank and the trolling motor bank has been added insurance that I shouldn't have to run the 12 volt gen-set although I did start it about a week ago just to make sure it still ran ok. I can also switch the trolling motor bank to the house loads if needed with two switches that then divides the 24 volt bank into 2 additional 12 volt batteries but haven't needed that as the house bank is keeping up fine with the fridge, computer and CPAP machine and tops off each day so far and hasn't gone below 65% or so. So if I can just kick the worst part of this cold life will be good but I kind of forgot how much work went into doing this on a day to day schedule, Sumner ================= Post 3 ================= Had a great day today, feeling much better the cold medicine is sure helping. Scott forgot his phone in the boat so first thing I had to take the Mac back into the restaurant dock at 9:30 and give it to him. I didn't look forward to that as I almost had an incident there the day before dropping him and his dog off. Went in for a port tie so flipped the outboard solar panel on that side over onto the center panels. That worked fine but getting off the dock wasn't so good. Backed out a ways and then went forward and almost caught the starboard side panel on a piling like I did at Marco Island some years ago. So when I went in this morning I flipped them both over as it takes less than a minute to do it and then didn't have any problems at all. I'll still play it safe in the future. I mounted all the panels now so they are inboard of the rub-rail except for the two outer ones that I can drop down or flip over. I know there was some concern about the panels putting more weight up high. The new 360 watts of panels and framework is about 150 lbs. and the old 200 watts is probably 100. I can tell no difference and yesterday sailing we had the boat heeled better than 20 degrees and it was rock solid sailed like that with a full main and the 135 genoa all the way out. Scott also agreed that the panels were not hurting a thing, especially for a cruiser which is all I'm interested in. He has had a number of boats and has a 37 footer in the yard and was impressed with the Mac. I've really enjoyed the shade the panels are giving and so far see no negative with the mod. My batteries are much happier and aren't going under 60-65% charge. I am running two Trojan 6 volt batteries in series for the house band and have the trolling motor bank of two 12 volt batteries also that can be tied to the house bank but haven't needed to do that. After dropping Scott's phone off I was going to go to Pelican Bay (about 10 miles) to rest up. I was able to motor sail almost all the way there with the outboard just off idle and only the Genoa out. I didn't want to try and run the main as I was doing this in the ICW channel with some traffic. About Pelican Bay the wind had shifted more to the south and the sailing was done but I felt so much better that I just kept going and going. Ran down the ICW at about 5 mph and went out into the Gulf under the Sanibel Bridge. I was going to try anchoring not too far from it but the wind still had waves running in from the Gulf so dropped that Idea and went a little further going in at Ft. Myers Beach and I'm just inside the inlet where Ruth and I anchored on our trip here. So since Monday, also counting the day of sailing, I have 105 miles under the keel at this point, with today's run being almost 45 miles. I plan on getting up early and getting out into the Gulf and head 35-40 miles on down to Marco Island off-shore. Winds are suppose to be 10-12 out of the east and then switching to south with 2 foot seas. If that holds I should be able to sail until they swing around to the south. If all of that happens I'll try and post there. On a side note I'm posting this tonight using the long distance WiFi on board.... http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-navigation/Compter-Nav-index.html ...and have a great connection and using the computer I built some years back. Last night lots of connections but none open so used the trackphone hotspot I bought, Sumner ========================================= That brings things up to date and I'll post more as more happens, Sumner ============================ Our Endeavour 37 Our MacGregor 26-S Pages Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida Mac-Venture Links
I could have saved you time on the trolling motor idea. I came to the same motor conclusion, but didn't want the windage of the panels up high as in your design. Also, we both know the Trojans would be better for the motor, so did you use the Interstates just to experiment?

B5w, mine is mounted on the boarding ladder.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I could have saved you time on the trolling motor idea. I came to the same motor conclusion, but didn't want the windage of the panels up high as in your design. Also, we both know the Trojans would be better for the motor, so did you use the Interstates just to experiment?

B5w, mine is mounted on the boarding ladder.
Actually I haven't come to any conclusions about the trolling motor yet. It is 24 volt 80 lbs designed for boats over 4000 lbs. so it moves the boat fine and I'm not looking for it to replace the outboard. I'm using two 12 volt Dekas in series for the 24 volts. It would take 4 trojans with this motor and that would be way too much real-estate to give up in the boat. The house bank is now two trojans.

I can see that there will be times I'll like getting on and off anchor with the elect since I can turn it on/off and steer with a 4 function key fob at the bow. Also if for some reason the Tohatsu went south over in the Bahamas I could see myself getting home on the sails and also using the trolling motor at times, so like that but also my dinghy motor is long shaft so it could also replace the 9.8 HP Tohatsu.

I haven't noticed a 'windage problem' with the panels and we pushed the boat harder than I ever had before the other day. I was real happy with the 6 knots in 15 mph winds loaded like it is and pulling the large inflatable and it was rock solid the whole time with no quirks.

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sat...03-14-15 ----------------- Ft. Myers Beach to Marco Island

Long day, 41 miles to Marco Island (Factory Bay) all into the waves and south wind in the Gulf. Only saw two much larger sailboats actually traveling north or south. 2 foot waves on a 2 second interval. They were ok but the 3 foot sets slowed things down. The boat would ride up on the first one, land on the second one and dive into the third one and drop from 4+ mph to 2+ and then have to accelerate again. Water over the anchors a number of times. I was running south about 4 miles off shore and then decided to go in the cut at Naples and do the rest on the Inland Waterway to Marco.

Going towards shore I was able to get the Genoa out but closed hauled on a starboard tack the tiller pilot would loose control of the boat when it rolled down off a wave to starboard and it would round up so had to give up on the tiller pilot and take over till I got about 1/3 mile off shore. In there the waves weren't near as bad. I found out later from a local that there is an arm of the Gulf Stream that runs south along the west coast about 1 mph and then with the south wind today that stacks the wave up, kind of like what happens in the Gulf Stream on the east coast with a north wind there.

So since things were better I passed the inlet into Naples and continued on closer in but when I made the turn south of Naples for the last 8 miles or so I again had no protection but now the waves were larger, some white-capping but now I could run into them at an angle so things were good. The Mac is a good boat and never once acted like it was in trouble.

This morning I was up at 5 and wanted to leave in the dark from Ft. Myers Beach for practice but couldn't pull the boat to the anchor after pulling in about 25 feet of rode. Then I realize that sitting there for a day with the tidal current changes the rode was wrapped around the center board that I left down a little ways at an angle (usually pull it all the way into the trunk as this happened before
). I let the board all the way down but it would pull around or fall off the bottom so started the outboard and reversed in a circle and got it unwrapped. By now the sky was getting out so got out with partial darkness. Got here about 12 hours later so only averaged a little over 3 mph. Long day but a good one!!

The last thing I learned was that I'll tie the dinghy along side the leeward side of the boat the next time I'm in these conditions. It probably took on over 25 gallons of water that I had to bail out tonight. I noticed that it is calm on that side of the boat so next time will try tying it up to the lee side.

I took some pictures but I'm beat and have to still eat and get to bed. Plan is go dingy in for gas here tomorrow and also go to West Marine. My friend Scott at the boatyard put a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) on hold at the WM here for me to use and then give to him after the trip. Ruth had made some safety harnesses from Sailrite kits and he loaned me a tether the other day and I used it this morning and it works perfect on the 26S as the long side of the tether reaches the far life line and the short side works on the life line on the side you go forward on. Unsnap the one side at the mast and re-snap it ahead of the mast and it stops at the stanchions just ahead of the mast and you can just reach the anchors and rodes. I'm going to get one if they have it also so I can give Scott his back. I need to use it as I'm careless about going forward without even a life jacket,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sumner.... motoring straight through choppy waves in a light weight center boarder can be uncomfortable and hard on the rig... not to mention your own body. I faced those conditions a few years back leaving San Diego after a storm which brought southerly winds and waves to the harbor entrance... as I was sailing out with the tide, conditions became overwhelming with large, steep, short waves. Yikes... I couldn't make it trying to tack out under sail... so I turned on the engine and motored out.... still tacking, mind you.... I dropped the headsail on the deck, centered the main (it was already reefed) and continued my zig zagging until I could turn west and clear the point.

The lesson is not to try to power straight over the top off these steep waves... you must steer diagonally down the back side... or just proceed on a course 45 deg to weather, like you would if you were sailing. You don't want to slam down the back side. Trust me, your boat, its rig and the contents of the cabin will be much happier...

I've sailed in that part of the gulf before and I can imagine what you were facing... sail or power boat... bucking those opposing elements can wear you and the boat out.

Remember the cruising sailors caveat is to never sail to weather if he can avoid it.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
...Remember the cruising sailors caveat is to never sail to weather if he can avoid it.
Hi Joe, good to hear from you :dance:. For the longer run I could get a little angle on the waves like you said but too get there before dark not much and there are only a couple places you can go in for the Ft. Myers Beach to Naples part.

When I got nearer to Naples I did think about calling it off and was able to angle in there and later when I didn't go in from Naples to Marco my angle on the waves was much better. I just checked the Naples wind for yesterday and it was south around 15-18 mph most of the afternoon with gusts into the low 20's on shore. A day earlier they were predicting east for most of the day and that would of been great, but that didn't happen.

Today after getting gas and a few things I'll run inside on the Big Marco River to Goodland and then drop into the 10,000 Islands for a couple days before heading down to Little Shark and then across the Florida Bay to the Keys. Wed. is shaping up to look good for that with light west winds predicted at this point, maybe too light in fact. I could wait longer but want to get over to the east coast so I can stage for the run to Bimini and beyond.

Take care and thanks for the post,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
=3-15-15 =====Sunday ======Marco Island=======
vizwhiz wrote:Thanks for the great update Sumner!! It's great to know you're feeling better and getting to enjoy the accomplishments of the trip.
Do you have pics of, or a write-up of, the tethering system jack lines and anchor points you used? Interested as always...

Fair winds and Godspeed!
I'll get them up at some point. Just back on the boat, gased up (5 gallons yesterday for the 40 miles--worst gas mileage ever). Got the PLB at west marine and a tether for me to keep aboard and a few groceries (first time ashore since last Monday).

Headed to 10,000 Islands in a few minutes, no phone or internet till later in the week,

Sumner

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sunday ========== 03-15-15 =================White Horse Key/10,000 Islands

Can't believe it but cell phone/Hot Spot coverage here now. Must of put up higher towers at Marco Island.

Today was good but with some drama. Got up before sunrise but that isn't saying much since it doesn't get light till 7:30 here
. Made one trip to Rose Marine and came back with about 12 gallons of gas. The 20 gallon tank took 7 so went back and filled up the empty 5 gallon and 2 gallon again. While there walked the 1/2 mile to West Marine and Publix to get the PLB that Scott had ordered in (thanks again Scott) and also found the same tether that he loaned me and bought one...$170 -- WM pricing. Oh well I guess I'm still worth $170. Picked up a few things at the grocery store but still have 2 months on board so mainly apples and lettuce and bananas. Put them in my little box cart that folds up and has wheels and towed it back to the marina and went out and got the boat ready to leave.

Tried pulling the anchor up at 1 pm and it felt like it was welded to the bottom. It wouldn't budge. I wrapped the chain off tight on a cleat hoping as the boat went up and down on the passing boat's wakes that it would break loose. Still nothing. I figured I much be on someone's lost anchor gear. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to put on my wet suit and go in as you can't see far in this water so tried one last thing. With it snubbed off as tight as I could I motored forward on the outboard and it broke loose or came loose. Very little mud on it so I'm not sure what went on.

Took off on the waterway between Marco and Goodland that has a lot of shallow water on it. Ruth and I had gone through 3 times so I was cocky and thought I'd remember it. I quickly punched in waypoints the night before in OpenCPN and transferred them to the Garmin handheld also. So part way over my waypoints go to port around an Island and channel markers to the right. Thinking the channel markers were going off to something private I of course stayed with my waypoints and a short time later the rudder kicked up and I'm in 2 feet of water where the chart said there was suppose to be about 5. I got turned around on the motor without grounding and went back down and too the 'right channel' which of course is were everyone else was going. I should of taken a little more time the night before. The less than 2 feet of draft on the Mac bailed me out. Being Sunday there was tons of boats on the waterway nothing like when we took it before.

So I get out of Goodland and I'm heading towards the Gulf and there is a nice 5 mph wind and I put the Genoa out and the outboard just above idle and I'm making 5 mph and all is good and the Gulf today is almost flat. I see a crap pot and don't get excited thinking I'll just barely miss it. Wrong the boat comes to a stop as I've snagged the crab pot line. I'm sure it must be on the center board so pull it up and down and go one way and the other not making any progress and thinking about the wet suit again when I decide to trip the rudder up. Rudder goes up and crab pot float surfaces and I'm on my way again. Turn the outboard off and pull it up and I'm moving nicely about 3 1/2 with only about 3 miles to go before I turn into the cut at White Horse. It was a beautiful day the wind was nice so the hull with White Horse for the moment. I turn to starboard and run out into the Gulf a couple miles on a broad reach on just the Genoa (should of put the Main up but was just too beat to do that). After a couple miles turned and sailed right up to the cut into White Horse (out at 4 1/2 and back at 3 1/2 -- nice to not hear the outboard running). With a little more confidence would of sailed onto anchor but I'd had enough drama for one day. Didn't see another sailboat out today down this was and I sit well protected behind a small island with no one around for mile. I love it

Time for something simple for dinner and tomorrow I'm make up a stew for the next few days and go ashore to the great beach here and read one of the Travis McGee novels by John MacDonald my sister found for me. I think I have them all and her husband, Gene, said I'd like them so I'll start with the first one.

Right now the weather looks good to make the 40 mile run from here to Little Shark River down in the Everglades on Tuesday and then on Wed. hopefully over to Marathon (Fanny Keys on the Gulf side --- don't like Boot Key Harbor) and then north to Biscayne Bay,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
............. With it snubbed off as tight as I could I motored forward on the outboard and it broke loose or came loose. Very little mud on it so I'm not sure what went on.
You have a good anchor! :dance::dance::dance: Really. :)

I almost always have to motor over or back off from our Rocna. We usually have mud or heavy mud around here, it being an estuary of two major rivers. Only sand I've encountered is up at Drakes Bay. Cleaned the anchor off, though. :doh:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
You have a good anchor! :dance::dance::dance: Really. :)

I almost always have to motor over or back off from our Rocna. We usually have mud or heavy mud around here, it being an estuary of two major rivers. Only sand I've encountered is up at Drakes Bay. Cleaned the anchor off, though. :doh:
Hi Stu, it is a 25 lb. Manson Supreme, also have a 22 lb. claw on the bow and a Fortress FX-11 below and about 30 feet of chain on them before the rode. The Manson has never drug but also has never been that hard to break loose before and I was there just one night??

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]