B361 propane tank

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Hi All,

When I bought my B361, it only had one propane tank, but space for another in the gas locker. Not wanting guess which one I should order, I thought I'd post on here in case anyone knows a model number of a propane tank I could order from Defender or another vendor that would fit in the gas locker.

Any help is tremendously appreciated! :)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Almost 100% sure it is a 10lb Worthington 299889 aluminum. 10 1/4" diameter, 16" tall.

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Thanks Gunni, that looks like the one I have. :) Philip, the tanks shown in your picture seem a lot smaller than what I currently have. I'll measure the space when I go up to the boat this weekend and confirm the dimensions, in the meantime, I have the Worthington tank in my Amazon cart awaiting the results of the measuring. :)

Thanks all!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tanks come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
IMG_0341.JPG
I have two of these on my Cal.

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
Be sure to check the expiration date on your existing aluminum propane cyclinder. Propane refilling stations are not supposed to refill your tank if they are older than 12 years. Like you, I purchased a second Worthington tank when I acquired my 331 because the space was there and, hey, why not, right? Four years later, I finally emptied my first, original tank and took it last week to be refilled, only to discover it was past its expiration date and either needs to be recertified for a 5 year extension, or discarded. I'm mulling over that decision, but basically, at the rate I use the propane I am carrying WAY too much in 2 tanks. That would not be an issue if the tanks were free and/or lasted forever, but at around $200 for a new tank one should do a cost/benefit analysis of carrying a second tank. If you cook your way through an entire tank or more of propane in a season, by all means, get a second tank. If, like me, it takes 4 summers to empty one tank (that Magma grill in the cockpit sees a lot more use than the stove) then maybe not.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Do you carry a gas can for the dinghy motor or such? You could store that in the extra space. Maybe not strictly code, but the storage requirements for gasoline and propane are about the same.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have had all of my portable propane tanks recertified, it takes 5 minutes and a new date pounded into your tank. They are not going to do anything more than a visual (no hydrostatic). Call around and find a retail distribution plant that retains qualified gas techs. Farm supply shops generally have the guys you are looking for. You carry two tanks because nothing ruins breakfast coffee like finding out your only tank just kicked.

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Thanks all, the new tank should arrive tomorrow. Crazy how expensive they are. But as Gunni says, nothing ruins breakfast coffee (or any meal) faster than a tank that quits mid-way thru. I'd estimate I go through enough gas to warrant a spare. :)

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I use the other tank spot on my 331 to hold a few of the 1 lb cylinders. These are useful on the little propane heater, the grill, and in a breakfast emergency, such as Gunni details, can substitute for the big tank with a little adapter we carry. Best of all worlds.

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Arf, I did not know there was an adapter to use those little 1 pound tanks! That would have been a good idea! :(

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I have one of those adaptors too. I don't usually have a torch bottle on board, but on a Sunday afternoon with raw steaks on the grill I think finding a torch bottle would be quicker than filling the tank.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE... I did not know there was an adapter to use those little 1 pound tanks! [/QUOTE]

There is also an adaptor to fill the 1pounds from the big tanks. You should find either one at a store that sells BBQ equipment. Ace, for one.

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Hi folks, just wanted to circle back; the Worthington 299889 model recommended by Gunni fit perfectly. Thanks again all!