Awwww, Nuts!!!

May 1, 2018
Catalina 25 5432 Hebgen Lake
So, I did the unthinkable: loaned my Catalina 25 out to "a seasoned sailor." Boat went out, and came back broken, never even got in the water. Says "seasoned sailor:" we were raising the mast, and we almost got it up, a bit of wind came up and blew it out of my grip and it went overboard, really sorry, man."
So, how in the world do I fix this? No damage to the tabernacle/deck, but per the picture, the mast bolt tore through the holes in the mast. Any ideas? New Mast? Cut the damage off and re-drill holes? As Edgar Allen Poe wrote, "quote the Raven: "Nevermore!"
VNYD8684.JPG

• Wow
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Figure out the cost and inform the seasoned sailor of the total for 1/2 unless there was specific discussion on “your break it you pay for it”. I for the life of me could not imagine loaning my boat out or using those boat AirBnB programs to make some side hustle. Good luck.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Ask the guy to have it fixed or replaced.

Unhelpful suggestion - never loan a boat to anyone.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you cut it, you have to raise the mast step by the same amount or the standing rigging won't fit. You might be able to get away with a lower boom (I wouldn't want that). You could shorten the standing rigging with no swage hardware. But getting the lengths right would be tricky.
An alternative might be to have a welder fashion a sleeve around the base of the mast and weld it to the mast and then to redial the holes.
And there's a new mast.
That's about all I've got.

May 1, 2018
Thanks everyone for the help! In all my years sailing, I've done a lot of dumb things, but nothing like outright stupidity of loaning my boat! First time is also the last time! It gets better, his wife got a whack on the wrist from the boat trailer winch they were using to step it, had it in freewheel instead of ratchet, so when the mast went over the handle spun around nailing her on the wrist. And no, no help from "seasoned sailor," he figures that since the boat never got into the water, he doesn't owe anything..... I really hate lessons learned the hard way!

Question on the Catalina 22 video, seems like an easy fix, I could bend some aluminum all the way around the inside, he used rivets, would it be better to use stainless bolts? I'm thinking of stress on those rivets, or do the stays take the brunt of it?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Uhmm.
Aluminum rivets could be too soft and may distort with the compression of the rig on them. You will be able to inspect them regularly. Use high quality - I can’t cite specs but there’s a variety of alloys available.
SS bolts may have the same problem in reverse. They may elongate the aluminum hole with their relative hardness.
I still like the welding idea. Maybe epoxy and rivets? Belt & suspenders.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Another suggestion would be to make a jig to bend the aluminum stock on. It’s extra work but I think the results would be better. Again I cite offcenterharbor.com for video instructions. You get to watch a couple without joining. Search the videos looking for a title “Working with metal.” They have several and I think one may have been bending metal. If not look for laminating wood shapes - which will be similar.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
he used rivets, would it be better to use stainless bolts
I have no clue how to repair the damage. But, you could use SS rivets. For that you need a good quality rivet gun, but they are much stronger. Though, the corrosion issues come up (the same as with the bolts).

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Could have been worse, buddy lent boat to couple, she twisted ankle getting on boat , he had to process a claim for liability under his insurance for medical etc. Doubled his premiums but he now has 1/2 as many friends!!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Used to be a guy who lived aboard in the marina who made a lot of extra money by slipping on boats ..

May 1, 2018
Turns out the boat he's only sailed was a Sunfish........nothing wrong "captaining" a Sunfish, had one years ago, I'm just wondering if it wasn't Divine Intervention that kept him off the water !! Would have been a real bummer if he'd turn my sailboat into a submarine............

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Provide him with a bill for the repairs and if he does not have the integrity to pay for it then consider small claims.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
If there is no damage to the boat, hopefully the repair won't be too bad. I agree with other that said that you should not pay it.

I had the opportunity to do the right thing in October. Honest to crap the last time I hit something (with my car) was 1982, and there was a snow storm involved, but I managed to take a hunk out of a guy's boat trailer with my trailer in a parking lot, so I left my contact info on his windshield. One of those super pretty fiberglass trailers, damage on my trailer was $50, damage on his was over $1000, but I did it, so I paid for the damage.

Just super grateful he took it to a second shop after the $3000 estimate.

We had just launched the boat and I was parking the trailer. I could blame it on the obnoxiously long tongue extension, but fact is my brain was on the weather, and the time, and the wind, and the sailing, and not on what I was actually doing.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I once backed into another car in a parking lot. I was moving at crawl speed. Went back and examined the other car. There was a six inch long rubber trim piece on his bumper that was only attached on one side. Not sure if I caused that or not. I pushed it back but it would not stay in place. I left my info under his windshield wiper instructing him to replace the piece if it was my fault and I would reimburse him. I figured maybe $50 for this piece of trim. Guy had his insurance company contact me and the process started with forms filled out for two insurance companies. I could not even detect a mark on my bumper so it was all about his trim piece. In the end the guy had filed a fraudulent claim for thousands in damages. There are many dishonest people and dishonest body shops out there. Learned a lesson there. On judgement day this guy and the other frauds described above will get to explain their actions and that is the only consolation we get.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you cut it, you have to raise the mast step by the same amount or the standing rigging won't fit. You might be able to get away with a lower boom (I wouldn't want that). You could shorten the standing rigging with no swage hardware. But getting the lengths right would be tricky.
An alternative might be to have a welder fashion a sleeve around the base of the mast and weld it to the mast and then to redial the holes.
And there's a new mast.
That's about all I've got.
I was thinking a sleeve too.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I saw your photo and said "Ah a C30 mast step but the pivot holes are open." In reading this thread, it appears that most of the comments are from people who have never seen the base of a C30 mast and they are seeing details as "damage" which are normal C30 mast stuff.
The repair looks pretty simple to me assuming that there is no other damage and the shaft is straight.
First off, I would take it to a welding shop that does a good deal of aluminum repair. I would suggest having them shape "doubler plates" that fit to the inside curvature of the plates to fully cover the pivot holes and extend out an inch or more beyond on all sides. Then plug weld the holes full and grind the surface to match the outside profile of the mast. After that, drill new pivot holes through the mast at the correct location.
The cost should be reasonable and I would look to your friend to cover it.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
A friend of mine had a similarly damaged mast base. Took it to a rigger and they put a collar around the base of the mast. I do not have any more detail on the fix than that but it may be fixable.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
On a C30 the tabernacle will not allow a sleeve on the outside of the mast so the repair will need to be inside.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
To shed some light on costs...
One of my stays got caught while raising the mast and I ended up with cracks in the mast around the spreader. I took it to what I believed to be (and still do) a reputable welder. He cut out a circle area around the spreader base, welded in two sheets of 1/8" aluminum for a total repair thickness of 1/4". He stated that if he had just welded the cracks that they might come back. The cost was around $350-375

If you take it to someone, be sure to clarify what hardware installation is or is not included in the price. I thought that remounting the spreader base was included. He drilled the holes after I brought it up. Lesson learned by both of us