AutoPilot on Hunter 280

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
Hi, Has any installed an AutoPilot on a Hunter 280. Looking for your experience and tips on installing.

Thanks!

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
It is not an H 280 but I recently upgraded my 30 year old Autohelm AH4000 for an Raymarine Evlolution AV-1 and am very happy with it so far.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Here is a thread from awhile back…including a video that show where my AP drive unit was installed on my H280 (by the PO).

hope it helps…

Greg

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
Greg, Thanks so much for your reply. Would it be possible get a picture of the motor mounting? This is the area of most concern regarding where to place it.

Regards,
Joe

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This is the area of most concern regarding where to place it.
Which of the 2 wheel mounted AP's are you looking at?

If it is the Raymarine EV-100 then there are only two places the motor will go. It is based on how you orient the Wheel unit to your Wheel Helm. Upper Right or Lower left. You can try both as it is easy to change. What gets a little more tricky is deciding how to run the wire to the motor. This may be your limiting factor.

The CPT system mounts the motor near the deck at the base of your binnacle.
Then a belt runs up from the motor to the middle of the wheel and back.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Greg, Thanks so much for your reply. Would it be possible get a picture of the motor mounting? This is the area of most concern regarding where to place it.

Regards,
Joe
I don’t have the Hunter any more. That was about the only photo I could find to show the general mounting area.

Sorry.

Greg

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
I have the H280 described in the thread that Greg referenced. After looking at the instructions and parts, I ended up having a marine electrician do the install. It turned out extremely well....I’m especially pleased with the location of the display, which is tricky I think...mine was installed just forward of the ignition panel on the same bulkhead. I’ve seen most on a rail near the steering wheel, but on a 280 this can get in the way of the end boom sheet. The motor was mounted in the binnacle and the controllers behind the aft bulkhead.

Happy to send images if you still need them.

Matt

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
hi Matt, would love to see the images. thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
joe