autopilot install on an H280

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I haven't tried the auto-turn... is that different than the feature that allows you to hold a wind angle?
Yes. When you want to tack, you press the +/- 1 and +/- 10 buttons simultaneously, and the autopilot makes a 90-degree turn. Very handy when sailing solo!

Edit: The + 1 & 10 turn the boat to starboard, and the other combination turns to port.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Auto - Turn. Is cool. Let’s you use two hands wile the AP turns the wheel to tack. I find it works 50% of the time. Some times it goes too fast and the jib back winds screwing up the AP.

Jun 4, 2020
Hunter 280 280 Lake Norman, NC
Very cool - that'll come in handy. Even with a nice clean bottom my h280 seems to bleed off speed quickly so I'd prob rather it tack to fast vs too slow!

Oct 22, 2014
I believe you can program the turn speed on the Raymarine EV100.

If not one gets use to the need to shift the jib in time with the turn.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
No worries Matt - I'm glad you liked it. I haven't tried the auto-turn... is that different than the feature that allows you to hold a wind angle? I'm already thinking I might want to connect my wind instruments to be able to use that feature but for now they don't talk to each other. I'm really impressed at how well the thing works so far.
I have my EV-100 reading my wind instruments and often sail to wind angle instead of a heading. Love the feature.
As @jssailem mentions there are some variable settings for the Auto Turn feature. I believe you can set the degree of turn to an extent, 90-110 degrees if I remember correctly, and speed of turn.
I played with the various vessel type settings and ended up using the Catamaran Sail setting. It gave me the best overall response.

have fun!

Apr 15, 2018
Hunter 280 280 Portland, Maine
[B]rhiggins[/B] - Thanks so much for your video. I am in the process of installing the EV-100 system on my 280. I installed the sensor up front in the compartment with the water tank. I have fretted over installing the wheel drive, looked and carefully measured where the motor would have to mount between the steering and the motor controls, very tight. I loved your solution of mounting the motor on the opposite side where there is a ton of room. Never considered cutting a new mounting hole for the pin. Pure genius!! So appreciate your posting the video.

1997 Hunter 280 located in Casco Bay Maine!!

Jun 4, 2020
[B]rhiggins[/B] - Thanks so much for your video. I am in the process of installing the EV-100 system on my 280. I installed the sensor up front in the compartment with the water tank. I have fretted over installing the wheel drive, looked and carefully measured where the motor would have to mount between the steering and the motor controls, very tight. I loved your solution of mounting the motor on the opposite side where there is a ton of room. Never considered cutting a new mounting hole for the pin. Pure genius!! So appreciate your posting the video.

1997 Hunter 280 located in Casco Bay Maine!!
Awesome! Glad you found it helpful.
-Rob

Apr 15, 2018
Here is some detailed pictures of the ev-100 wheel unit on my Hunter 280. Placement of the motor drive on the port side simplified everything thank to RHiggins idea of cutting a new pin hole on the plastic of the housing. I mounted the EV-1 unit forward under the V berth near the water tank. The ACU was mounted on the wooden bulkhead in front of the black water tank. System installed and works great!

Attachments

Jun 4, 2020
Very nice! I like:
A) that leather wheel cover
B) the wheel brake
Did you add those yourself?

Apr 15, 2018
The wheel brake was on the boat, clever design and works great. I replaced the wheel cover over the winter, bought the cover from Boatleather, easy the install and so comfortable. i built a simple jig to hold the wheel while sewing. Nice winter project.

The autopilot works great except when tracking a route from my Garmin 740s it keeps asking "Turn to waypointover and over. Raymarine says its Garmin, and quess what Garmin says!!

Oct 22, 2014
Raymarine says its Garmin, and quess what Garmin says!!
:yikes:
I was listening to a Google AI robotic engineer last night talking about there AI project. The machine is exhibiting responses about feelings.

I can hardly wait for the AP to start to question the waypoints I select. Let alone the disagreements between the AP and the Chart Plotter as what to do about the tidal currents or the choice of anchorage for the night. :banghead:

Nov 2, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Wylie Texas
For R Higgins, we are trying to install an autopilot on our Hunter 280 and having trouble getting the top off of the pedastal. Thoughts

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
For R Higgins, we are trying to install an autopilot on our Hunter 280 and having trouble getting the top off of the pedastal. Thoughts
mine was a bit tight when first removing the top of the pedestal. it is just held by the screws around the joint. after removing all the screws tap up with a block of wood gently around the seam. See my earlier post with pictures on my installation. placing the motor on the port side of the pedestal lots of room however you need to make a new hole in the wheel backing plate for the pin. good luck.