Autohelm recommendations

Jun 14, 2020
O'day 222 Moored at a lakelot
Hi all, thinking of adding an autohelm to my O'Day 222 with the goal of opening up more single-handed sailing. It seems like a lot of folks have used them based on searching the discussions. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on a specific model and any advice on mounting it. (also, please note if you have other nav instruments tied in to it or if it's stand-alone and advice on that). For context, I sail on a small-ish lake so I don't need anything too fancy just the minimum to keep me pointed on a heading for a few minutes here and there). Thank you kindly!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Considering what you are saying about being in a small lake I would recommend a "Tiller Tamer" which is non other than a mechanical devise to lock your tiller in position. Now the secret to maintaining course with a "Tiller Tamer" is to learn to balance your sails. The tiller and sails will provide opposing forces which will cancel each other rendering a desired course. This is a skill that every sailor should practice.

Jun 14, 2020
Considering what you are saying about being in a small lake I would recommend a "Tiller Tamer" which is non other than a mechanical devise to lock your tiller in position. Now the secret to maintaining course with a "Tiller Tamer" is to learn to balance your sails. The tiller and sails will provide opposing forces which will cancel each other rendering a desired course. This is a skill that every sailor should practice.
I've definitely been considering that option as well. I'm just not certain it's sufficient for circumstances like putting in or taking out a reef, or taking down sails.

Jun 14, 2020
I've taken a look at this thread and it seems people are pretty happy with the clutch. Obviously $100 and no electronics is less of a fuss than $500-600 for autohelm. But I'm still curious if anyone is going to pitch autohelm options, especially if they tried the clutch and upgraded.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You can get a Raymarine ST1000+ tiller pilot, new, for under $400, free shipping, no tax, from one of my favorite online dealers. I know it's not an inconsiderable amount for something you might not eventually want, but it's a world better than a tiller lock/clutch.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I've never tried the clutch or tiller tamer but since it locks the rudder in a fixed position I would think it might be difficult when you feel the need to go forward to put up, take down or reef a sail since as soon as you start messing with the sails you will disturb the balance. If your objective is to be able to take your hands off the tiller or wheel to go grab a beverage from the cabin or just take your hand off the tiller and relax a little then the tiller tamer/clutch would seem to be fine. If it is a small lake and you can get in trouble quickly if you go off course it might be better to opt for the suggestion from @jviss if you intend to leave the cockpit and mess with a sail. You can bet at least once in awhile that sail will "hang up" on its way up or down or the reef process will not be as smooth as your planned and you'll be there longer than you anticipated.

Still though, you need to get Don's book and practice sail trim and how to balance your sails as it will make sailing much more fun.

Jun 14, 2020
Thanks everyone, appreciate the input. I've also been working on trim and balance as well :)
So far I have two good sailing books (Annapolis, and Sailing Fundamentals) but I'm always looking for me. Books, forums, and YouTube seem to be the best teachers in our current social distancing circumstances!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
There's really only two day sailor level Tiller Pilot brands and they're both excellent. Raymarine ST1000+ and Simrad TP10(Navico) Either one is more than enough for your boat. Your other decision will be whether you want an AP that you can network with your chartplotter and wind indicator. They're going to cost you another couple hundred bucks, so I'm assuming you'll not want that feature. Therefore, the Simrad TP10 will fit the bill and can easily be found on line for around$360, and the Ray ST1000+ jviss recommends is also a good choice. I will tell you that even with a mechanical auto pilot you need to balance the sails for best performance and minimal wear and tear on the device.
Finally, I can honestly tell you that once you install the tiller pilot your single handed sailing life will go to another level. But...heed my warning... If you single hand with the tiller pilot... ALWAYS STAY CLIPPED ON with your safety tether... especially if you want to leave the cockpit.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I have a vintage Autohelm 3000 and it works well for my needs in lighter winds and doing exactly what you are looking for. I’m in the market for a stronger unit but for a 22ft boat it is spot on. You should be able to find one for a couple hundred.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
I just got a ST2000 since the mechanical parts seemed more robust and the price difference was not that much from the ST1000.

It made a huge difference last weekend being able to let go of the tiller to play with the sails more which should let me learn sail trim faster since both hands are available. I had noticeably more energy remaining after two days of sailing vs. holding the tiller for two days.
I do wonder how useful it would be on a close reach on a smaller lake where wind direction is likely less consistent (unless you attach it to a wind instrument).

Thinking it was overpowered for my boat, I started with a 5amp fuse and popped that pretty quick. Went to a 10 amp and finished the weekend without a problem, they recommend a 12a

Jun 14, 2020
That's great. To answer some of the questions above, 1) yes, the wind is rarely very stable compared to the coastal areas I've sailed but the trade off is that the water is also usually quite flat. So it sounds like a worthy investment. 2) no need to tie it into any other electronics because I don't have any! For now at least, I'm enjoying learning everything without Instruments (that and navigation isn't a concern in my case). I really appreciate everyone's input.

Jun 14, 2020
If I proceed, does anyone have suggestions on where to mount it? Seems like I'll need to partially cover either the fuel compartment or the battery compartment... And keeping room to operate the outboard. I would think port side perhaps with an extender so it's farther off to the side?

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Mine is mounted on the starboard side and my outboard is on port. I think it works well to give access to the outboard. It's mounted on the interior coaming (if that's not a gross misuse of the word) with a little extension post and goes over the battery compartment/lazarette.