Auto-Pilots

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
, two displays and masthead unit: all in around $7k refit.
Check the price of a Wifi option and a tablet for a second display. The only drawback I have is not being able to adjust the autopilot from the tablet. But then again, I'd hate to have someone come by and accidentally adjust my course into a tanker!

And my personal experience with Garmin is I have been obsoleted twice by them with no attempt to warn or ameliorate. One man's opinion.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The only drawback I have is not being able to adjust the autopilot from the tablet.
:clap::clap:

The reason is Autopilots "Fail Safe" to Standby mode.
That means loss the course computer signal forces Standby.

Thus a tablet's Wifi is not secure from Hacking...
Jim...

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 331 Thornburt
Planning to install linear drive autopilot in spring 2022. My old wheel drive just can’t handle any sea and I do a lot of long distance single handing.
I’ve gone from considering B&G hydraulic including all components to ordering Raymarine type1 mechanical linear drive EV200 etc. on my Beneteau Oceanis 331 (~11,500 lbs).
My main deciding factors: Tech support in my area - Georgian Bay (Lake Huron), all my other electronics are Raymarine, power consumption, good reviews, excellent responsiveness by Raymarine to my enquires. I must say I was very intrigued by B&G because of their pedigree but I wasn’t impressed with their responses to my enquires, especially because I’m planning to do the install myself.
Challenges will be no room for separate tiller arm on rudder stock so have to tie into existing steering quadrant and tight quarters in general to allow sufficient radius from rudder stock.
I haven’t been able to find a lot info on YouTube so I will document my project and share once done.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
have to tie into existing steering quadrant and tight quarters in general to allow sufficient radius from rudder stock.
Carefully consider this option. Most quadrants are cast metal. They have shown a tendency to break under the stresses autopilots can place on the quadrant.

By far the best is to figure out how to install a tiller arm through the shaft. This has the benefit of giving you an alternate steering system, should you have a quadrant failure or cable/chain break in the binnacle and you loose your helm.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
By far the best is to figure out how to install a tiller arm through the shaft. This has the benefit of giving you an alternate steering system, should you have a quadrant failure or cable/chain break in the binnacle and you loose your helm.
:plus:

Been there, done that a few years ago when my quadrant suffered a catastrophic failure of the starboard idler pulley. Still needed the emergency tiller to get into my slip.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 331 Thornburt
:plus:

Been there, done that a few years ago when my quadrant suffered a catastrophic failure of the starboard idler pulley. Still needed the emergency tiller to get into my slip.
Was this because you had a linear drive autopilot tied into your quadrant or forca different reason?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
No. The quadrant and idler pulleys were 30+ years old and pretty rusty. I'd been out sailing with a buddy in high winds & seas, and he kept driving the rudder into the stops, which hastened the demise of the steering system. My linear drive is connected to a tiller on the rudder post, so I had the alternate steering system as mentioned by @jssailem . Cheers. :beer:

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 331 Thornburt
No. The quadrant and idler pulleys were 30+ years old and pretty rusty. I'd been out sailing with a buddy in high winds & seas, and he kept driving the rudder into the stops, which hastened the demise of the steering system. My linear drive is connected to a tiller on the rudder post, so I had the alternate steering system as mentioned by @jssailem . Cheers. :beer:
I see. Thanks. My preference would certainly be to have a separate Tillerarm but I don’t have a choice. There are four holes at the aft portion of the quadrant, two of them threaded so that should distribute the load.

Attachments