AUTO PILOT PREFERENCES

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Well, Leo310, you answered my next question. But I don't think my Garmin 74DV will actually speak to the EV 100. I have to look into that. I really need the auto pilot to do a straight line and help me tack when I solo sail. On my previous boat I had a Auto Tiller by Raymarine and a hand held remote. It worked great for me.
They will talk via N2K. When the AP is in track mode it will sail to a waypoint. As mentioned before you can’t control the AP from the Garmin MFD.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
The ev100 should be able to take direction from the garmin for a course but you will need a seatalkNG to Nmea 0183 converter of some type.
That is one option. The other option is to get a field installable N2K end of the variety you need (male/female) cut off the end of the Seatalk NG wire in the other wires to the appropriate spot and not connect the yellow wire.

Here is a link about Seatalk NG and N2K

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
based on the Garmin manual it’s doesn’t look like that model has either devicenet or nmea2000. - only nmea0183. Which unfortunately the ev100 doesn’t speak and I don’t believe nmea 2000 is backwards compatible to nmea0187 which is why I suggested the converter/adapter/multiplexer.

newer Garmin equipment should be able to do direct connection without.

nmea0187 is single talker/many listener vs nmea2000/seatalkng/devicenet which are many/many protocols.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I really need the auto pilot to do a straight line and help me tack when I solo sail.
My EV 100 does exactly that on my boat. It does it very well in mild to moderate sea state and winds up to 15 knots as long as I do a good job of balancing the sails and minimize the weather helm.
:biggrin:

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I was recently doing a delivery from Newport RI to Norfolk VA with the owners of a Caliber 40. The owners had been living aboard since they purchased the boat three years earlier, but had not done much sailing. They hired me because I am an experienced/licensed captain and a sailing instructor.

The autopilot aboard stopped working as soon we set out, and for the first three days. The owner thought that the fluxgate compass mounted in the bilge below the pullman berth was the heading sensor used by the autopilot, and for three days he was rearranging the tools and other crap that he had stored nearby. On the fourth day I was in the lazerette, resolving another (fuel) issue, when I noticed another fluxgate compass mounted high on the bulkhead between the lazerette and the navigation station. I had placed my laptop with a BU-353 (USB) GPS receiver in the nav. station on the other side of this bulkhead when I came aboard. My BU-353 GPS had a magnetic mount. I quickly figured that THIS was the fluxgate compass for the autopilot, and moved the GPS receiver away. We never figured out what that other fluxgate compass was for.

My point is that you should DOCUMENT where all of the components of your autopilot installation are mounted so that if you ever sell the boat, or put it into charter, or hire a captain to deliver the boat for you, that the skipper can have a fighting chance of troubleshooting problems with the electronics.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Congrats. Don't forget to cap off the unused wire ports on the distribution connector like I did.