Audio interface for easier navigating on Android & iOS?

Sep 11, 2009
Chris Craft 26 Miami
Knowing that smartphone/tablet screens can be hard to see out on the water, there is a new audio interface being discussed for the free SailTimer charting app (on iOS and now planned for Android too).

It will announce results like: “Wind speed 7.8 knots. Boat speed 4.2 knots. Heading 192 degrees. Bearing starboard 17 degrees would save 1 hour 12 minutes.” It would do this at set intervals, or when parameters changed by set amounts. No more screen; it is just like having a voice in your head.

There is a crowdfunding campaign here to assess interest and fund the development. What do you see as pros & cons or features that should be considered?

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Sounds like aural clutter to me!

We love the sounds of sailing, why give them up?

A quick visual scan gives me all that info, or the more useful indicators from my handheld gps, sails, windex, compass, clouds, and heel of the boat already. The use of my iPhone is to see the weather radar, and know when I need to be in a harbor before the thunderstorms catch us.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Buy a watch with a sailing app. I just bought a Garmin on a black Friday sale. The design of the face is such that it uses sunlight instead of the back light, so it can be seen in bright sunlight. There are 5 different sailing apps for the watch. I have yet to use it out on the water, but I can't believe it would not be practical, or there wouldn't be that many apps available.

I would also suggest that you will never hear your phone or tablet on a boat. You could run a bluetooth speaker, but those turn off when not in use, to save battery. Unless you are playing music, the speaker would not stay on to hear your announcements.