Attaching the Headstay while on the bow

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I'm wondering if anyone can share their technique for attaching the headstay while on the bow. I have always stepped the mast and attached the headstay while the boat is still on the trailer. I stand on the trailer ladder in front of the boat and it takes considerable force to pull the headstay enough to pin it.
I want to launch at a place where I will need to go under two bridges and I'm not feeling comfortable with the clearance at low tide. So I would like to motor under the bridges and step the mast on the other side, while in the water. Considering how hard it is to pin the headstay while on the trailer I anticipate it to be real difficult crouched over on the bow. Can anyone share any tips/tricks of how you do it?

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Do you have someplace to attach the jib halyard and use the winch (if you need to).

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
So even on the trailer, I've always been on the bow to attach the head stay. It helps to ensure the back stay is off or loose, the shrouds are also somewhat loose and to have one or two people on the mast working to push it forward.

Also, loosen it as much as possible, use the jib or spinnaker halyard if needed and it shouldn't t be too hard.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
A quick-release lever, when opened, effectively extends the length of the forestay enough to make the connection almost effortless.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
If you are using the mast raising tackle (gin pole, mainsheet pulleys, winch, etc.) you should be able to tighten it up to the point that it facilitates connecting the forestay.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Do you have someplace to attach the jib halyard and use the winch (if you need to).
Well, I want to step the mast while in the water, so no trailer winch available. I have no problem attaching the headstay while the boat is on the trailer. The challenge it seems to me is to attach it while crouched over on deck at the bow.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
So even on the trailer, I've always been on the bow to attach the head stay. It helps to ensure the back stay is off or loose, the shrouds are also somewhat loose and to have one or two people on the mast working to push it forward.

Also, loosen it as much as possible, use the jib or spinnaker halyard if needed and it shouldn't t be too hard.
My H26 has no backstay, and I would prefer not to loosen the shrouds. I will be stepping the mast by myself. I guess I'll just have to torque down harder with gin pole to get it to reach enough.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
A quick-release lever, when opened, effectively extends the length of the forestay enough to make the connection almost effortless.
Yeah a Johnson Lever would be nice, but it would involve modification on the length of the headstay, or maybe a new one.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
If you are using the mast raising tackle (gin pole, mainsheet pulleys, winch, etc.) you should be able to tighten it up to the point that it facilitates connecting the forestay.
Fred, I think your suggestion may be the one I need to go with. Do you really need to torque down very hard with the mast raising tackle to make the connection?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yeah a Johnson Lever would be nice, but it would involve modification on the length of the headstay, or maybe a new one.
Not necessarily. I added one to my forestay without any modification. Remember, it eliminates the length of the turnbuckle. ;)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
One thing is to loosen the backstay. What do you think if the Johnson Lever is on the backstay instead of the forestay folks?

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Doug... yes I need to torque down quite hard. For me it is the most nerve wracking point of the mast raising, the point of maximum tension on the job halyard. I usually tie the main halyard to the bow pulpit as a backup just in case something gives way and the mast would come crashing down. Perhaps that's just me being over cautious.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Johnson Lever is on the backstay instead of the forestay folks?
I have a Johnson lever for a removable inner stay which I set-up for a storm jib. When it "pops", open, it's something that really can cause some grief because of the stresses. I wouldn't want to be operating one that often and in awkward situations.

However: I'm still confused as to what the complications are with attaching the forestay..
I still don't understand what the big deal is to pull a mast forward on he Hunter 26 with a halyard and winch. so you can get the pin of the forestay in? Is it that hard because of the side-stays functioning as a backstay because of their design? (Hunter's designers always seemed to favor some complicated designs for their rigs :^)))) )

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Yes, and it also means you don't drop the pin in the water while your trying to hold the forestay and slip it in, just as a power boat passes by.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Doug... yes I need to torque down quite hard. For me it is the most nerve wracking point of the mast raising, the point of maximum tension on the job halyard. I usually tie the main halyard to the bow pulpit as a backup just in case something gives way and the mast would come crashing down. Perhaps that's just me being over cautious.
That's exactly how I feel. I will follow your lead and tie the mail halyard to the bow pulpit for peace of mind. Then I will torque it down a little harder so I can pin it more easily. Once it is pinned and the gin pole is removed it seams like the rig tension is good. But I have never actually measured it with a Loos gauge. I had one of those with my last boat. One time I was using it and accidentally slipped and shot it off the shroud into the water. I should have had a lanyard around my wrist.