Attaching an outboard to a rudder/tiller

Feb 26, 2019
Seaward 17 Ohio
I saw a video clip of a small sailboat (Seaward 17) that had a kicker attached directly on the tiller/rudder. Had anyone else seen such a rig? How is it done?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I saw a video clip of a small sailboat (Seaward 17) that had a kicker attached directly on the tiller/rudder. Had anyone else seen such a rig? How is it done?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've often thought if I purchased another Searunner 37 that I would put a 25 hp OB on the rudder and get rid of the diesel completely. As a good light multihull will sail in all but the very lightest of winds and makes terrible power boat, it is a pretty practical solution to moving the boat in extremely light air or docking.
I would build a sliding bracket that mounts on the rudder which will pull the prop completely clear of the water by a couple of feet. It would be mechanically operated so no one had to go aft to pull it up.
This probably wouldn't be practical on a small monohull. I'd probably just put a proper sailboat OB bracket on one side so the rudder clears the prop and not get carried away with being too elaborate.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I wish I could find that link here but there is a thread where a member of this site did exactly that, I just can't find the postings

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I’ve been considering something similar on my O’Day 192. I’m thinking a threaded stainless rod with ball joints on each end - one on the outboard and the other on the tiller. I’d like to have one end with a quick release.

Definitely interested to see what other people are thinking.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I wish I could find that link here but there is a thread where a member of this site did exactly that, I just can't find the postings

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I would not. My reason is that there are situations--for example coming along side a bulkhead with minimal space--where turning the tiller and rudder in opposition to each other works better. You lose that option. But if you can't reach the outboard, that is different.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Lots of powerboats link their kicker to an IO or outboard. The parts are easily available.

Ken

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The better option is to get used to turning with the rudder and leave the outboard straight. You'll adjust faster than you think. The only time I turn my outboard is in an emergency

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
Go to the other Catalina website: www.Catalina-capri-25.org/forum/forum. Tech tips, Suzy Q - Engine steering. However, I agree with thinwater and Project_Mayhem. Leaving the outboard independent of the rudder has some advantages. I toyed with the idea of linking the rudder and the tiller but decided not to so that I could move the outboard hard over when exiting my slip slowly before the rudder has effect. Other than that I rarely if ever position the outboard anywhere except straight ahead and maneuver solely with the rudder.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
I leave my motor straight except when docking, but am also thinking about connecting it to the tiller. There are situations where directional thrust is far superior to a rudder. Big following waves can slow or even reverse the flow at the rudder, briefly making it useless or turn the boat in the opposite direction. A outboard used for steering doesn't have that issue and should behave better in following seas and when coming in over a river bar.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I recommend as a dealer when steering in tight quarters such as docking for example backing into a dock,A quick disconnect tie bar from motor to rudder; otherwise, remove it