Atomic 4 removal from a 1973 P30

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gravy26

I believe I lost one of the 2 main bearings this past weekend. It started making a terrible noise and the oil pressure took a nosedive especially when I put it under a load.

I've mounted an ob bracket on the back with a 9.8 to get me through the tight spots.

It looks like I'll have to remove the stairs and a portion of the galley to pull it out.
It must weigh 300+ pounds so how would I get it from it's current location into at least the cabin. I imagine I can use the boom with a block & tackle to hoist it out but getting it to that point without trashing the inside looks daunting.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Mike

Jul 26, 2007
Pearson Packet Weekender Defeated Creek Marina, Defeated, TN
Just removed mine from

a New Horizon. The PO had removed the woodwork(panels) from in front of it. I removed the ladder. the mounting bolts fell to the bilge after nuts were removed. I removed the manifold/carbureater and was able to disconnect the exhaust system from the manifold. The coupling to the shaft was disconnected by removing three bolts holding it together. the engine pulled forward easily about 2/3 inches until the sump pump hit part of the bed. A hi-lift forklift dropped a chain thru the companionway and was hooked to the lifting hole on the engine. We padded the bottom edge of the companionway with a moving blanket and when the lift started up, it slid on the blanket, I tilted the flywheel end of the engine up until the sump pump cleared and it swung forward and up....

The guy operating the lift asked why we needed him with such a small engine!

Head is off and pistons are soaking with PB(#3 liquid went down past rings)- Hope rings are all that is stuck....

Jul 26, 2007
Pearson Packet Weekender Defeated Creek Marina, Defeated, TN
Sailnet Atomic 4 forum

In case you haven't found this....

Status
Not open for further replies.