Atomic 4 electronic ignition

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Franz, With any gas engine on cars with the old style ignition system, I was always told by the gear heads that if your having issues install a new system. It won't hurt except in the pocket book.

The question "does it pay" implies that you have another option. What is the reason for such action?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Points and condenser ignitions are troublesome and obsolete, by all means move up to electronic ignition.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
It will keep your A4 running more efficiently and have less need to make adjustments. Worked well for me.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Probably

I switched my Mustang over to an electronic ignition when a set of points and condenser got up to $20. Never had to mess with any of it again. I bet I'm the only guy on the block with a dwell meter now maybe a timing light too but the light I've used more recently

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I installed the Indigo system last winter and after a year the plugs are cleaner and the engine fires right up.
I installed the Moyer thermostat, because I didn't want the complexity of the Indigo thermostat, and it works perfectly.
I buy as much stuff from Moyer as possible but sometimes things look better from Indigo. The Moyer forum is invaluable to those of us who own this great little engine. Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I will never have points or a carburetor on anything ever again if I can help it. I run a Pertronics distributor from Moyer with integrated electronic ignition. Works great. Doesn't break. No adjusting dwell. Doesn't wear out.

I'd love to not need to rebuild the dang carb every 3 or 4 years.... but I don't think FI for an atomic 4 is a worthwhile project. (And I'm getting real close to next boat time anyway...)